PDA

View Full Version : The perfect unwrap

Frigo
03-19-2003, 02:51 AM
Does anybody knows if there is a resource that unwrap my mesh on single plane aligning all normals on a single plane without distortion?

jb_gfx
03-19-2003, 07:03 AM
hehehe... quest for the holly graal? :)

Frigo
03-19-2003, 07:10 AM
YEP! Something like that :-)! But u see... normal polygon UV plugin do exactly this, the only problem is that those polygons are overlapping and u have to manually connect them.

Look at this plugin for max for example, is that the holy graal?

http://www.chilliweb.co.uk/chilliskinner/index.htm

Lamont
03-19-2003, 10:24 AM
Yeah, do it by hand.

Frigo
03-19-2003, 10:30 AM
Is that your best suggestion Lamont? If i'll found an easy way to do this workflow i'll will not share it with you!

...eheh, just kiddin', i love you all...

Lamont
03-19-2003, 10:34 AM
I've been doing it for like 2.5 years. Even with auto-unwrap tools you have to lay out your UVs again anyways. And if you work on game art a lot, you have to make the most of your space, and share textures between other objects/surfaces.

I know it sounds like "the long way" but it better than fixing a mess your computer/plug-in made for you.

Hiraghm
03-19-2003, 02:34 PM
hey, Lamont, how bout a tutorial on doing it "by hand"?

Lamont
03-19-2003, 02:36 PM
Ok, what object do you want? Characters or props? Or both? I have to work it into my work schedual, that's why I ask.

Prosprctor
03-19-2003, 03:07 PM
All objects...
Say from Lightrom 3 up ????:D

paintboy
03-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Frigo
the real holy grail in this case would be to have Lamont do it for you...
but since that isnt gonna happen you might look here
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/surface/uv_mapping/clean_uv/index.html
theres more there uv stuff there too...maybe you could get someone to read them to you:p

Frigo
03-20-2003, 04:51 PM
eheh, thx to all of you guys for help, and thx to Lamont. But this is not the point... im a 3d artist since 10 years, and i've worked for a lot of game project and so on, i've not problem at all in texturing models in lightwave. I am asking an uv map without distortion because i have to build a real 3d model based on the one builded in lightwave. So i need the perfect proportion of my polys to print them to paper and paste them togheter for build my model for real. Sorry if i missed this detail before. :-)

Solid Image Art
07-01-2003, 10:13 AM
Lamont,

I can see unfolding mesh by hand for game models but anything more complex can easily shelve a few days or more. I need to unfold my mesh on a series of fairly complex head models and I cringe at the thought of doing it by hand. I am willing to do it of course, but if there is a neat trick/plugin out there to take away some of the PAIN - I soooo want to know about it. ;-)

I can't help but to think that with all of the plugins listed on Flay, there is NOT ONE that unfolds the geometry like we get from the UNWRAP plugins for UV?

Dan

Lamont
07-01-2003, 10:18 AM
When I do complex things, I usually break it up into managable parts (ears, nose, head), use traditional UV mapping techniques, then stitch them together.

When I UV map a head, I use cylyderical. I unweld a row of polys from the base of the neck to the top of the head. And I put the guide right where that seam is. It only requires a little bit of mussing to get the UV nice.

For creatures, I break the object up more if needed. But I usually use cylyderical mappings.

Lamont
07-01-2003, 10:19 AM
I've been inclined to UV map high-poly characters by hand. I've been doing it so long that it really takes about a full work day.

Lamont
07-01-2003, 10:21 AM
The techniques I use for unwrapping high and low poly characters I got from reading this book on taxidermy. I was bored off my ***** when I read that.

Lamont
07-01-2003, 10:28 AM
And I use this UV mapping tool instead of the one bundled with Lightwave... way faster...

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1272

Solid Image Art
07-01-2003, 11:37 AM
Hey Lamont!

Wow, thanks for the super fast reply. :-)

My question: lets say that I remove the nose and ears (typical problem areas) from the head as a seperate part. Am I to flatten each part manually and map each of those separately? Or am I to grab each part, flatten separately and when once flattended, restitch the geometry back to the flattenend head mesh (creating one object again) and then, create a single UV map that encompasses all? Is all of this taking place as a morph?

Sorry, but I got a little lost somewhere along the way and trying to fill in the blanks.

I've got Meni's technique wrattling in the back of my mind and attempting to piece it al together...

Thanks!

Dan

Lamont
07-01-2003, 11:58 AM
When you do the head:

The ears will have to be unwrapped a bit via morphs.

The nose is flattened a bit via morphs.

The head is cylyderical, no morphs needed.

Now when you do the stitching of the parts, I only stitch back the nose because it is very noticable if you do not match it up. The skin of the nose usually has more color variations than the ear. The ear has colorations differences like at the top where the sun hits it most. The area where the ear meets the head has very little, and can fade into the scalp easily.

I am sorry if this is confusing:

Ok, take the ear and nose, those are now serperate objects (in seperate layers). Flatten the ear and nose via morph.

The head is cylydericly mapped, with the technique discribed above, let's name this UV map "Medicus_Head" :).

Now planar map the ear and nose with the same name as the UV for the head now. They will be in the same UV's as the head. Now try to get the nose to where it should be on the map.

The ear can be on the side somewhere.

One thing I would like to see is a change in the UV window. It is hard to view your map/texture scrunched up in UV space.

Solid Image Art
07-01-2003, 01:17 PM
Cool Lamont - Its starting to make a dent on my overly dense head. ;-) I will give your technique a try when I start the head projects later this week.

I really appreciate all the time that you've spent helping me to grasp this idea.

Thanks!

Dan

PS. That Medicus quote really cracked me up! :)

Lamont
07-01-2003, 01:20 PM
I read this article on Final Flight of the Osiris a few weeks ago. Apparently all the characters had the same UV's, basic poly layout and point orders to streamline production.

That's pretty cool.

Yeah, let us know how it goes. ;)