PDA

View Full Version : Fixing oversized AVI's

starbase1
04-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi,
I'm running into trouble with some big AVI's - aparently this is a known restriction, that the header is at the far end, and if the file is over a certain size, (1 or 2 gigabytes?), Windows won't play it.

Now the information is in the file - does anyone know of a way to rescue these to a playable state? For example using a prog that can read them and recode at higher compression.

Cheers,
Nick

omeone
04-14-2004, 04:16 PM
There was a free programme on Flay a few months ago called G-Spot, or something like that, it has utilities for editing parts of avi files - though I cant say whether or not it will do what you want...

oh yeah, and sometimes I use a free little app called "Rad Video Tools" to quickly re-encode files without having to open them, as its very fast, it might also do what you need...

starbase1
04-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the tip - Rad video tools was not able to fix it, but it does look like a seriously useful utility!

I like the idea of turning my AVI's directly into screensavers, or exe's that will presumably play on any windows system...

Cheers,
Nick

digimassa
04-14-2004, 04:31 PM
:cool: its not windows limitating the file size, its FAT32, so change to NTFS^^

omeone
04-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by starbase1
Thanks for the tip - Rad video tools was not able to fix it, but it does look like a seriously useful utility!

I like the idea of turning my AVI's directly into screensavers, or exe's that will presumably play on any windows system...

Cheers,
Nick

Ive looked into this from time to time myself, but never really found a decent solution, would be interested if you find anything.

This is a far as I got, WinXP has a movie screensaver option, but as I needed something for NT 4 aswell, that wasn't really useful.
I also messed with making flash files out of the movies and then converting them screensavers, that worked better but was great either.... (and as I dont have Flash, it was a bit of pain asking a friend to re-do every time I wanted to make a small change)

Now what I would really love would be a utility that would take a directory of LW objects and and bounce them randomly around the screen....

starbase1
04-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Never mind a directory, I'd settle for one object, with basic surfacing!

There's vrml done at:
http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/screensaver/

But it's not quite what's needed.

Nick