PDA

View Full Version : Ik or Forward K

oxyg3n
03-19-2003, 01:55 AM
Hello All,

I am in the process of rigging my second character that I have made and was wondering what people thought about using ik for the upper body or forward kinematics.

Which method does everyone think is the best? It might be better of me to ask, what method has proven the easiest for you?

I am pretty comfortable using ik for the legs, but on the arms, I have found it troublesome, especially getting the elbow to point in the correct direction.

You comments and suggestings are always appreciated,

thanks

DaveW
03-19-2003, 11:07 AM
It depends on what the character is doing. Ideally, you would have the arms rigged with IK and have a slider to turn it off/on so you can animate with FK when you need to.

oxyg3n
03-19-2003, 01:15 PM
Hello Dave,

I like your idea of being able to set up a slider to turn ik on and off, but how would I go about doing that?

What situations do you think fk is better for?

Thanks for your response

Digital_red
03-20-2003, 08:13 PM
you can try IK blender

http://www.spatial-design.com/plugins/index.htm

hrgiger
03-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Oh, hey thanks digital, I was just thinking about that earlier today and was thinking I had heard of the blender somewhere. Thanks for the link.

hrgiger
03-22-2003, 05:55 AM
Oxyg3n,

I should also mention. DaveW is right, it all depends on what you're going to have your character doing. If your character is going to need to keep his hands placed on something during the animation, then you'll really want at least the option of using IK. Like I'm working on a fight scene between 2 characters. They're going to be doing a bit of grappling and holds and that would almost be impossible to do using FK alone. It would get very tirecome trying to keep the hands in the same position while the upper body and arms moved around quite a bit.