PDA

View Full Version : Demo Reel

tnyplz
03-19-2003, 12:42 AM
Here is my Demo Reel. I used lightwave, after effects, photoshop, and illustrator. I'm still pretty new to lightwave so the 3d aspect of the demo reel is still pretty primative, but I think its used successfully.
Most of the 3D parts are simple objects modeled and textured in ightwave with a simple looping animation and then composited in After Effects. (The blood cells for example)

Demo Reel (http://www.tonypelaez.com/videos/Demo_Reel.mov)
11.3MB Quicktime

Let me know what you think
-Tony

tnyplz
03-21-2003, 11:36 PM
I know its a large file. but does anyone have any input?
tony

Chruser
03-22-2003, 02:31 AM
It's refusing to download right now. :(

Buuu
03-22-2003, 04:27 AM
It stops downloading in the middle

hrgiger
03-22-2003, 06:08 AM
I got it downloaded ok.

Tony, what kind of job are you looking for? If you're going for some kind of compositing job, then I think it's good. It's an interesting presentation, but it seems like you're trying to sell yourself rather then any actual content of yours. I kept waiting for some kind of animation but it never came. If you're looking for some kind of job doing character animation, I don't think this is the demo reel you should use.

d8ed
03-23-2003, 08:50 AM
i agree with hrgiger.. i'd say it's a real for a motion graphics guy that knows a bit of 3D on the side. great choice of music though.. Chemical Brothers.. but what's the song's name?

Zarathustra
03-23-2003, 10:01 AM
I agree with all of you, of the third I saw before it stopped downloading.

Is that you in the pictures that you drip the red juice down over? Personally, I wouldn't put myself in my demo unless:
1) It was to show compositing and/or some kind of effects shot
2) It was a 3D self portrait to show off my modelling/texturing skills

hrgiger
03-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Yeah. I don't want to dishearten you at all tnyplz because I think there is a lot of good stuff in your demo, I just think you need more actual animation. So take this as being constructive:

I don't work in the industry currently but I have a friend who works for a video game company. One day, I went to his office and sat around with them and watched some of the demo tapes sent in by prospective employees. Most of the time it's a real chuckle fest for them. They make popcorn and sit around and laugh at all the demo tapes because 80% of them are just plain horrible. The ones they laugh at the most are the ones where the artists use their name repeatedly over and over during the demo tape and include themselves into the comp/animation shots and such. I guess I'm just saying that I agree with Zarathrusta that I wouldn't include yourself in the demo unless it's a 3D model of yourself or you are going for a video compositing job.