PDA

View Full Version : Smart Skinning in LW

WilliamVaughan
04-13-2004, 04:15 PM
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/smartskin/index.html

NigelH
04-13-2004, 05:43 PM
... make that...

"Smartskinning in LightWave + a bunch of plug-ins that may or may not work on your platform of choice".

...to be more precise.

hrgiger
04-13-2004, 06:12 PM
If only smartskin could be as simple as it is in Animation Master...Of course, that would mean it would have to be an integrated tool.

Dr. Dardis
04-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Yes, it is unfortunate that so many external plugins are needed, but then you work with what you got.

This tute looks quite helpful, a fast solution to the problem I feel

Chris.

Fasty
04-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Smartskinning should be alot easier in Lightwave 8 with the addition of Christopher Lutz's Smartskin and Rotate Bone plugins. I hope to get around to writing a tutorial for that someday.

Carm3D
04-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Rotate skelegons? Easier?? You have to make a weight-map for every bone! No thanks!

NigelH
04-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Dardis
Yes, it is unfortunate that so many external plugins are needed, but then you work with what you got.

So true. And speed makes all the difference, considering you can do 'Smart-skinning' without the aid of plug-ins.

As a Mac user, I've become quite accustomed to having to do without most of the handy little time-saving utilities that are available. But I guess doing so allows me to feel the same kind of satisfaction as someone stranded on a desert island who learns to make fire with two sticks. :D

Fasty
04-13-2004, 08:22 PM
OK I admit I didn't actually read the tutorial before I made that comment! Anyway I'll try morphing my dragon wing using that method to see which ends up being easier.

These were done using Smartskin and RotateSkelegons.

Smartskinned on left, unSmartskinned on right.

http://www.stu-art.net.au/cgchallenges/13_showdown/wing_folded.jpg

Fully Smartskinned...
http://www.stu-art.net.au/cgchallenges/13_showdown/wing_test.gif

jamesl
04-14-2004, 12:55 AM
I'm just disheartened to see proton pushing this method without seeing that it shows Lightwave's weaknesses, instead of helping to direct development of an integrated, internal method of accomplishing smartskins. I don't mind using plugins, but it's not a 'feature' if it doesn't accomodate all platforms.

j

jamesl
04-14-2004, 12:56 AM
[i]
These were done using Smartskin and RotateSkelegons.

Smartskinned on left, unSmartskinned on right. [/B]

Nice!

j

tudor
04-14-2004, 01:05 AM
Well.. this weakness will be resolved in a couple of days, right?

jamesl
04-14-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by tudor
Well.. this weakness will be resolved in a couple of days, right?

Assuming LW8 was going to be released in a couple days (big assumption), would they be posting this work around today? I don't THINK so. Hence, my disappointment.

j

Dodgy
04-14-2004, 03:18 AM
Hey, I posted this to them because another person asked how they could do this in Lightwave, I'd had it for a while, it was just the guy giving me the prod to post it to newtek.

Morphdrivecf is an lscript, which should work with macs, though I'm not a mac man, so someone else will have to verify that.

As for minimo, FI has quite a few of his plugins compiled for macs, maybe no one's has asked him yet?

Smartskin will ship with LW8 so that will make it part of the core, and I'm thinking the editFX will allow you to modify your mesh in Layout, so that part will also be in the LW core, ie they're not going to be shortcomings for much longer!

I don't see the problem, this is just a method for achieving something people ask for which the core program doesn't do at the moment. There are a few things the program doesn't do, but other things it does that say, Animation master doesn't . That's always going to be the case and it's our job to find ways around this. I've just shown you one of them.

jamesl
04-14-2004, 03:36 AM
Dodgy... then why post this work-around? Proton obviously thought it was useful, and he's already using LW8! Me thinks smartskins aren't so integrated in LW8... maybe this is their definition of 'integrated'.

j

Dodgy
04-14-2004, 03:46 AM
Because people will still find it useful. LW8 might be round the corner, but it's not here yet, so someone could use it now, and some people still won't have upgraded, so this is useful to them.
I've already had someone email me to thank me for the tutorial, so I think he must find it useful.

With editFX and smartskin being part of 8 I think it IS integrated, I just don't think Proton has really explored the possibilities yet. I can imagine he has a lot to do right at this moment, and not all the ways in which things can be done with the new toys will have been looked into. That doesn't mean they can't be done, or that he hasn't done them and just not posted about it. He has a lot to show, hence the reason other people than he post a lot of the tutorials there. They may have more experience in certain areas than he does.

Red_Oddity
04-14-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by jamesl
Dodgy... then why post this work-around? Proton obviously thought it was useful, and he's already using LW8! Me thinks smartskins aren't so integrated in LW8... maybe this is their definition of 'integrated'.

j

Have you ever thought about the fact that maybe not everyone will update LW7.5 to LW8 the moment it comes out, and thus it is a very usefull post...

Sjees, at times the LW community can be such a bunch of whining babies...

Just keep up the good work Dodgy, some people do appreciate you writing these tuts...

retinajoy
04-14-2004, 05:20 AM
Thank you Dodgy for the tutorial, as I know they take time to write. Going to give those plugins a try this weekend.

Thanks Proton for making the LW community aware of the tutorial. :)

WilliamVaughan
04-14-2004, 05:32 AM
PEOPLE ARE USING 7.5 RIGHT NOW....IT IS A TUTORIAL IN THE 7.5 SECTION.....IT IS A USEFUL SETUP.....SOMEONE TOOK THE TIME TO CREATE A TUTORIAL THAT WILL HELP ALOT OF PEOPLE ......

It's a shame that people have to read into things and look for a hidden message everytime I post something on the boards.....

Dodgy, please disregard any comment that would discourage you from creating another tutorial....you did an awesome job and this was a great setup.....It is fully appreciated on my end and I hope to see more....Great job!

Now everyone Quick...I might have posted another thread you can go investigate!

mattclary
04-14-2004, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by proton

Hey! What's THAT mean!? Is there new news about L8!?!?!?

;)

phil lawson
04-14-2004, 06:51 AM
Many thanks Dodgy...will put this to good use.

Cheers.

noiseboy
04-14-2004, 06:59 AM
I'll second retinajoy's comments and add my thanks to anyone who's taken the time to put together tutorials for any software/any platform, it all goes into the melting pot of knowledge ( its just ashame I'm not creative enough to benefit from it all :(

kml12
04-14-2004, 07:29 AM
Everyone try to calm down...

We're all reading into every little thing that's being posted, myself included. I hope once [8] hits we can get back to appreciating the work others post for our education and not read into features vs lack of features.

I also hope NT learns a BIG lesson from this release, so that we the end users NEVER have to wait, wish and hope like this again...

LOL

Barred
04-14-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the tutorial Dodgy it is appreciated.
It is a shame that there are people that will jump on anything posted by others, so thanks to Proton as well for bringing it to our attention.

prospector
04-14-2004, 08:34 AM

In my usual testing for secret meanings about the release of LW8,
I ran this sentence thru a decription program, as I do ALL Newtek statements.
And it came back with this after 3 hours.

The Sun will come out tomorrow.

Now carry this to the end and I get

CDs are round
The Sun is round

CDs are shiny
The sun shines

come out tomorrow is self-explainatory

LW WILL BE OUT TOMORROW !!!:D

Exper
04-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Just a simple thing:
Many thanks to Dodgy and to everyone who's working and not moaning! ;)

Gabe
04-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Rotate skelegons? Easier?? You have to make a weight-map for every bone! No thanks!

Making weight maps for each bone is quite easy if you use vertex paint. Once you get used to doing it that way, you will wonder how you ever used bones without weight maps.

jamesl
04-14-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by proton
PEOPLE ARE USING 7.5 RIGHT NOW....IT IS A TUTORIAL IN THE 7.5 SECTION.....IT IS A USEFUL SETUP.....SOMEONE TOOK THE TIME TO CREATE A TUTORIAL THAT WILL HELP ALOT OF PEOPLE ......

It's a shame that people have to read into things and look for a hidden message everytime I post something on the boards.....

Dodgy, please disregard any comment that would discourage you from creating another tutorial....you did an awesome job and this was a great setup.....It is fully appreciated on my end and I hope to see more....Great job!

That's right, that's right. I'm sure I was trying to discourage people from making tutorials. Jump on my case. Whatever. We'll see. :rolleyes:

j

hrgiger
04-14-2004, 12:50 PM
I think it's good that people are still making tutorials for 7.5.

It's just a shame that we're forced to still use 7.5, that's all...

Dodgy
04-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Not for much longer... LW 8 shipping from this week!!!!!

flashover
04-15-2004, 05:55 AM
Great tutorial, for me is very interesting!
BYE

A Mejias
04-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Even a Maya user found it helpful! :)

Thanks!