PDA

View Full Version : image mapping?

Justin Hicks
03-18-2003, 11:17 PM
Hey i have a ninga that i want to put a tatue on his arm but i cant figure out how to make it only there when i try to add a image "texture" then it makes it all over the place ... is there some "TERM" like UV or something that im suposed to know...

P.S. im using lightwave 3D Express
Thanks in advance..

Danner
03-19-2003, 01:51 AM
Use an image with alpha channel so the tatoo does not affect the skin color, then turn off Width and height "repeat" to "edge" or "reset" then itīs a matter of placing and sizing the image correctly. UV is not just a term.. itīs a very powerful and kinda complex technique to place image maps on complex shapes.

Justin Hicks
03-19-2003, 09:03 AM
hi, I'm sorry this probably sounds dumb but how would i go about making an image with an "alpha chanell" ? i have Aura 2.5 is that what im suposed to have? ? ? ... sorry im a newbe

marvin
03-19-2003, 10:25 AM
I don't know how Aura works because I use Photoshop. An alpha is pretty much a black and white picture. You can change your picture to solid black and white. What you need to know about alphas is:

1. they are black and white (or grayscale)
2. The white is opaque and the black is transparent.

What 2 means is that you will be able to see through the black part of the alpha image, and not through the white part.

Hope this helps.

marvin

Justin Hicks
03-19-2003, 11:04 AM
Hey that does help and i figured out the black/white part but when I put it on the surface it duplicates it all over the skin, so do you know how to just make ONE picture ? i just cant seem to figure it out ... thanks if you know what i mean.... :confused:

chilledaqua
03-25-2003, 12:05 PM
as danner said, "turn off Width and height "repeat" to "edge" or "reset" then itīs a matter of placing and sizing the image correctly."

In other words:
In your texture window, you want to click next to where it says Height Tile and Width Tile and make sure it's set to "edge" or "reset" and it wont duplicate the image all over the object.

hrgiger
03-25-2003, 05:14 PM
Justin,

This is just a tip but whenever you're using an alpha image to cut out part of another image the best way to do it is to copy your texture layer you want to cut out of and paste it over top of that layer. Then just change the new layer to the alpha image and to alpha blend mode. This makes sure both of your layers are sitting right on top of one another (providing the images were the same size to start with of course). This is just a good habit to get into.