PDA

View Full Version : Error: object is read only and cannot be modified

Elowan
04-13-2004, 09:49 AM
I got this error upon loading a file into 7.5c that I had worked on the day before. The file is not read-only within windows. Today's problem occurred soon after boot-up.

I also noted that the file in question took a long time to load and unload - longer than usual.

Running 7.5c on WinXP SP2 system with 1 gig memory. Noted 2 days ago that a particular font would not display correctly. Today - after encountering the above mentioned error msg - found that no font is displaying correctly within LW 7.5c although they do in other apps.

LW also crashed unexpectedly yesterday whilst manipulating an object although a re-start allowed work to continue.

I'm considering re-installing LW 7.5 and perhaps NOT patching to 7.5c.

I would appreciate any assistance offered in this matter. Thanks.

MrKnight
04-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Unfortunately, it could be a hundred different problems, but I heard that patching to 7.5c will sometimes cause unexpected errors. It sounds like you might need to re-install LW.:(

simonbrewer
04-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Hi,

I had this problem a few times with LW6, but never with 6.5 or above. I found a solution was to re-save out the object under a different name either in Modeler or Layout. If that doesn't work, then try Save Transformed Object in Layout or search the Hub directory for backups of your files.

In case you don't know the Hub directory is in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temp\lwhub

Hope this helps,

Simon

Elowan
04-13-2004, 02:24 PM
I've also heard that deleting the config files also helps.

So far I've done neither of these things: delete cfg files and/or re-install LW.

Upon restart of the app - the object loaded correctly but one of my preset folders was missing! I replaced that from a back-up.

I will - no doubt - re-install LW but only patch to 7.5b.

One wonders about upgrading to 8 especially the 1st iteration. Sigh!

Wade
04-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Elowan
I've also heard that deleting the config files also helps.

So far I've done neither of these things: delete cfg files and/or re-install LW.

Upon restart of the app - the object loaded correctly but one of my preset folders was missing! I replaced that from a back-up.

I will - no doubt - re-install LW but only patch to 7.5b.

One wonders about upgrading to 8 especially the 1st iteration. Sigh!

Hey have had no problem here with 7.5c until I installed Fprime and its subsequent updates then I had to trash configs and most every thing is now better. So my guess is that a plug-in is messing with your configs in some manner so if you delete them or move them into new folder, then let lightwave regenerate them all may be well - it happens. BACK UP BACK UP BACK up - just reminding myself to do so before adding wiz bang stuff.
:cool:

bluehand
04-14-2004, 11:49 AM
I've had that problem about once a week. It let's me know as soon as I try to edit anything in the model. I just quit Modeler and try again. Usually that clears it up....(until the next week)
Not a solution really, but letting u know that I've seen it too. btw, it's on a Mac w/Fprime.

paladin82203
05-28-2004, 02:31 PM
I've just had this happen with version 8, so this is still a problem. Happened right after a save...

Exception
09-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Got it going on now too. Reoccuring problem, happens about 3 or 4 times a day.
Also modeler and layout are not exactly communicating perfectly. They will at most timkes, but not constistently. Maybe this has something to do with it.

paladin82203
09-12-2005, 12:11 AM
I almost invariably have this happen with 8.3 while I have a large (for me (3.8Mb)) file open in modeler and I take a break and play Unreal Tournament 2004. Running modeler and hub only (and usually mail, safari, maybe itunes), wonder if the problem isn't with the hub...

lardbros
09-12-2005, 03:42 AM
There must be a way to narrow this down to hardware or some software. I personally haven't heard of this bug type thing before, but do you guys have firewalls running at all? Surely if anything is going wrong with the hub it'll be something like a firewall. Are you guys running Macs or PC's? I've heard that the hub is much less stable on Macs than PC's, shame really.

Exception
09-14-2005, 10:18 PM
No, not on a mac. I use Trend Micro PC-Cillin. I got it to ignore Hub, modeler and layout. I turned it off once when the problem was occuring and it didn;t help.
Otherwise nothing special running.