PDA

View Full Version : nokia3310

miso popovic
04-13-2004, 04:30 AM
thought i would be fun to make my cellphone, it was:)

BEDOFDOLLS
04-13-2004, 04:44 AM
thats is really realy good- and brilliant compersistion - looks photo real

pilkiwilky
04-13-2004, 07:09 AM
yes, very nice - is the phone the only CG item in the shot?

SODAPLAY
04-13-2004, 07:11 AM
Nice composition! The phone looks very real.
Hey, I'm still confused about composing. Can you help?
Here is the thing.
When composing you just put an image into background and adjust your model according to that image. Then how do you render? Do you render objects separately? So you can compose them in photoshop? I guess you need to render shadow and object itself, how do you do it?

- SODA

veljko
04-13-2004, 11:05 AM
yea, the phone is the only CG item. Well, the compositing in this case was relativly simple-i just rendered the phone on a white floor, using a HDRI image for lighting+one spotlight ( just affecting specularity of the object ) and then i took a photo of my desk looking so that the angle of the photo matches the angle of the rendered phone and used multiply in the layers option in the photoshop, a little tweaking was required, but that's it.

veljko
04-13-2004, 11:08 AM
wow, didn't even realise my brother made the comp at home login automaticly as him, so i forgot to mention that it's me (miso) writting the reply:)

miso popovic
04-13-2004, 11:12 AM
That's more like it:) I'm me again:) tnx for the nice replys btw :)

riki
04-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Great lighting, looks good.

otacon
04-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Nice job! Good intergration. The shadow looks a little too fuzzy and soft, but thats really nitpicking. Great job overall.:D

SODAPLAY
04-14-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the tip. By the way when you render image, which format you choose to save image in? tiff?

- SODA

freedik
04-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Really nice.

My friend has this model, it has a bit sharper edges.
One more thing that separates this picture from total perfection IMHO, blur balance between the phone and enviroment should be little more equal.

Jure
04-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Hey Miso great comp! It seems your family has LW blood running through veins ;).

miso popovic
04-16-2004, 04:37 AM
i always save as *tga, coz it saves alpha as well(so when you load it into photoshop it allready has a mask around the object).
yea, those edges could be a little sharper, but to thell with sharp edges i say!:)

SODAPLAY
04-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Thanks.
However I have 2 more questions :)
1. Why we need alpha?
2. How to use mask?

I found the other way. Make a scene. Render objects separately (use unseen by camera) and save them as tiff 32, this way when objects are loaded in photoshop have a transparent area around them. So it is easier to compose. But there is a slight outline around main object thou.

I don't know how you do it thou. But I like your result a lot. If you can tell with more details...

Thank you,

- SODA

veljko
04-17-2004, 01:59 AM
@ sodaplay: the best thing would be for Misho to e-mail you the *.psd file of the image and you can see for yourselfe-
In his cease there was no need for an alpha.
The composition is rather simple but effective- he just rendered out the phone on a white background and then used multiply option between that layer and the photograph- This makes the white colour transparent- In the end all he had to do is retushe the parts of the phone that had white in it becouse they were transparent aswell and thats was not good. But this is easy cos all you need to do is color the part of the photo which is covered with the rendered phone in white. That way the white transparent parts of the phote show that white background.

hope this helps!

miso popovic
04-17-2004, 04:25 AM
tnx veljko for explaining.i gues tiff and tga are similar and both work, in this case there was no need for mask, but for andromeda, the post i made before nokia3310 it came in realy handy coz when i rendered it and then load it in corel photopaint i had a perfect mask around it so i just copied mask as new layer and got a layer with just the girl making it realy easy to put in background and stuff.

SODAPLAY
04-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Thank you very much for the info.
1. How do you retushe the parts of the phone that had white? I believe it is special tool in photoshop that restores affected area to the previous state? Can you tell which one is that?

2. You're saying white background. Is it backdrop? or is it just white poligon as a floor on which phone lays down (we need shadows right?) Or is it both? Small white poligon for floor just to catch shadows and white backdrop?(I believe it could be any color since it is going to be transparent in photoshop. I know tiff would be, what about TGA? same?)
This is a little bit stupid question, but I just want to know how other people do it, just to make sure.

Thanks a lot.

- SODA

SODAPLAY
04-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Ok, no need to answer for 2nd question. Just tell me how to use retushe? I couldn't find translation for it :)
If you can send a tga file to [email protected] that would be nice.

Thanks.

- SODA

miso popovic
04-19-2004, 01:59 AM
i use a one poligon plane to act as a floor, it's white coz the phone is on the white paper so it needs to reflect white + any other color when used with multiply in photo-paint tints the picture in that particular color while white is kinda neutral in that way.
as far as the tool, i used mouse:) just a paint tool and painted white around the phone. althou i can see how nice it would be if a tool you mentioned did exist, so if anyone knows please tell.

SODAPLAY
04-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Hey, thanks for info.
Here is a composition scene I made in 2min. I found an easier way, where you struggle less!

1. Create a scene.
2. Put a white poligon(floor) under your object.
3. Go to composing tab and insert background image.
4. Press d and select show background.
5. Adjust camera and object so the object is properly placed.

Next steps require multiple renders.
1. Hide your object, leave floor and render. You will have a white poligon with shadow. Save as *.jpg or anything else. In photoshop make everything white.
2. Hide phloor and leave object and render. Important!!! Save as *.png. In photoshop you will have transparent background around object without ugly outlines like in *.tiff for example.
3. In photoshop you have to have 3 layers. Bottom - background image without any objects. Middle layer - your shadow (Multiply in layer properties). Top layer - Your object itself. Just leave normal in layer properties.

There you have it. Very easy. You don't have to paint white around object. You can make some color adjustments. That was a simple model. Imagine you can create different shadows and use more layers...

- SODA

- SODA

miso popovic
04-20-2004, 02:46 AM
cool! that a great approach! tnx

miso popovic
04-20-2004, 03:21 AM
btw sodaplay, i tried to send you a photo-paint file (2Mb) on the addy you left but it was send back to me.