PDA

View Full Version : Layout vs Modeler OGL Speed

Psyhke
04-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Is it just me, or is Layout better at handling OGL display? For instance, I take a random object with 200,000 polys-- in Modeler it's starting to get a bit 'jittery', while the same object in Layout is smooth as butter.

While I'm on the subject, is it just me, or in Layout is rotating an object to the left (i.e. moving your mouse to the left) faster than rotating to the right? Sounds strange, but that's what's happening for me.

:confused: :eek: :mad: :cool:

Wade
04-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Open GL difference between M and L yes always.

Right and left well now thats another story, but we will keep an eye out for it now.

Today was the lowest high on record for Houston Texas on April 12th maybe 57 dergees-f. :)

gjjackson
04-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Wade
Today was the lowest high on record for Houston Texas on April 12th maybe 57 dergees-f. :) [/B]

Must be that damn global warming.

Mylenium
04-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Of course Layout's OpenGL is faster - not so much for the finally visible result itself but for the way the data is handled internally. You have to keep in mind that in Modeler you would want more precision while in Layout you would focus on faster interaction. Therefore you would use different modes and techniques for optimization (vertex lists, drawing order of lines and polygons etc.)

Mylenium

Hervé
04-13-2004, 12:21 AM
global warming..... talk to me about it...

"stop fossil fuel"[COLOR=seagreen][SIZE=4]:D

Psyhke
04-13-2004, 02:00 AM
Okay. So we're saying that it's natural for Modeler to be slower because it needs to keep track of more detailed mesh info in order for it to be readily accessible as an editable object? And Layout dispenses with some of this in favor of speed? Hmm. That almost sounds like an argument for keeping LW as two separate apps!

I'm not sure how this thread turned into a discussion on Global Warming in 4 posts. Hehe. Gotta love the stream of consciousness that is the internet.

Speaking of Global Warming...I wish it would make it's way to the northern US, it's stilly chilly outside in the middle of April. :mad: