PDA

View Full Version : Apple introduces Xserve cluster configuration

Ed M.
03-18-2003, 11:22 PM
Just thought that you guys might be interested in this little tidbit.

Apple introduces Xserve cluster configuration

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0303/18.xserve.php

--
Ed M.

Beamtracer
03-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Hi Ed,

A lot of people have been waiting for a cut-down device like this. If it is true that OS X 10.3 will have clustering abilities, then this new Xserve will fit in well.

Ed M.
03-18-2003, 11:58 PM
I e-mailed Dean Dauger (Pooch/AppleSeed) to see if he will provide any additional information. You can bet that he'll be working with it ;-) I'm telling you, Apple is starting to place all the pieces of the puzzle together. It's just a matter of time. If NewTek was smart they'd get together with Dean and Apple and find a way to bring this to Lightwave in such a way that it would cast SneakerNet into the scrap-heap for good. Make it a Mac-only feature and watch the customers flock; especially after the PPC 970 rigs are released. The 970's floating point alone should obliterate anything from the x86 world -- not to mention the bandwidth or this thing. I'm expecting AltiVec opps alone to be off of the scale. I really hope NewTek is getting involved with this in some way because I think Mac users need something unique and specific to the platform -- something *truly* exploits all it's potential. Now's the time for them to get on board.

--
Ed

Ade
03-19-2003, 09:12 AM
The current dual g4's are enough to start this.
its just the bus thats lacking that will be fixed soon. Softweare sells hardware. Some sort of screamernet that likes FW800 would be nice too.

Ed M.
03-19-2003, 10:02 AM
http://www.apple.com/firewire/

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/12/04.11.shtml (http://http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/12/04.11.shtml)

Couple the following snippets with Apple's Rendezvous Zero-Configuration Networking and you have a powerful, robust system:

Home entertainment

Set-top boxes, personal video recorders (PVRs), game consoles, home stereo equipment, DVD players, digital TVs, interactive TVs, and computers all have a need to communicate using a common plug-and-play, high-speed interconnection that's capable of efficiently transmitting video, audio, graphics, and Internet data. More and more of these devices are already available with FireWire ports, so they can easily be integrated into the modern home entertainment system.

Networking

Workgroup computers that have FireWire or other 1394 ports can be linked via FireWire and communicate using standard IP networking protocols. FireWire can also be used to cost-effectively share a printer, scanner, camera, or other device.
Networking with FireWire offers several advantages over Ethernet. FireWire 400 is faster than 100BASE-T, the most common Ethernet speed, and FireWire 800 comes close to the speed of 1000BASE-T. FireWire 800, with its ability to guarantee the timing interval of data packets, can also deliver smooth real-time video.

Those snippets taken from here:

www.apple.com/firewire/pdf/FireWire_Tech_Brief-a.pdf

--
Ed M.

Ade
03-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Also portable HD's and Powerbooks are FW ready so connecting them to the render farm would be easier than ethernet. Look guys Ethernet is the standard I understand that...FW can have its advantages too that I am very interested in.
Ethernet for newbies is still hard, firewire requires no settings. And is only getting faster all the time.

anieves
03-19-2003, 10:28 AM
well, I also have something to share, there are rumors that 10.3 is going to be 64bit ready. Of course it would be useless on current processors... current.:D

Is just a matter of time before Apple announces that they are going towards IBM.

Lamont
03-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Yeah, my last Mac is the B&W G3 350 (I still use it) and I want to get a new one...

Being the only Mac in the house out of 2 other PC's (a third will be here in a week), it get's lonely on the network...

cremegg
03-20-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Ade
its just the bus thats lacking that will be fixed soon.

As I undestand it you don't need an FSB that the CPUs cant take advantage of. Even AMD have only just managed to step up there FSB another notch as they reach the 2Ghz mark. The Apple architecture is very well designed. Don't assume like the CPU that Mhz is everything.

Originally posted by Ade
Some sort of screamernet that likes FW800 would be nice too.

And why ScreamerNet which uses FW800? What reason? That wont make ScreamerNet a better method of rendering and I'm sure it wont make it faster.

Ade
03-21-2003, 09:54 AM
[i]And why ScreamerNet which uses FW800? What reason? That wont make ScreamerNet a better method of rendering and I'm sure it wont make it faster. [/B]

Convienience... FW800 is almost the same speeds as gigabyte ethernet.
FW is hot plugable and no ip to set.
Its worth intergrating expecially if u use a powerbook ...

*imagine a whole render farm made up of ipods lol...

Lamont
03-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Ade
Convienience... FW800 is almost the same speeds as gigabyte ethernet. Yeah, but it would not boost Screamernet performance at all. Network performance yes.

Originally posted by Ade
FW is hot plugable and no ip to set.What? Did you DL the Firewire beta? It's treated like a network port. Now if you link them all to a drive and they render to that, then yeah no IP required, it will be faster, but again, will not boost Screamernet performance.

So the idea of doing Screamernet over 1394 sounds good, but really serves no good pourpose other than for transfering files and networking. And 100mbps over ethernet is just fine for Screamernet.

IP over firewire is great for networking. I have 2 PCs and a Mac linked by 1394 and it's great when transfering video.

Ade
03-22-2003, 08:22 PM
Macs also come with 2 firewire ports, and one ethernet..