PDA

View Full Version : FX_Collision Problem

Grace
04-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Hi! I have a scene with two emitters and by using FX_Linker, one emits disc shaped objects (i.e. dots) and the other emits star shaped objects. Each object is about 21 cm in size. I didn't want the objects to collide with one another, so I used FX_Collision on each object to try and avoid any collisions. With the stars it seemed to work but that could be because the scene just happened to work out that way. At any rate, I'm having trouble with the dots. In a few frames, I get collisions and have attached a sample render. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the nature of FX_Collision...does it only identify collisions between particles and an object and not between the partcles themselves? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help!

My Collision Settings:
Type: Object-Advanced
Mode: Bounce
Radius/Level: I tried 200mm, 250mm, 300mm ,500mm and 1 m
Bounce/Bind Power: I tried 0%, 100%, 300%

Dodgy
04-12-2004, 05:20 PM
For those type of collisions you need to go into your emitter settings and go to the interaction tab and set the self interaction to bounce. You then need to run the simulation, otherwise it won't calculate the interaction.

HowardM
04-12-2004, 07:18 PM
yeah, and dont forget to turn your particle size up, and turn on show particle size in the emitter! oh and of course ALWAYS USE FXSTART! :)

but I think you want to use Motion Designer if you want hard body (faked with MD) interaction.
using pfx, I think you can only get spherical interaction out of the particles...so yes you could bounce the coins/stars off each other but not realistically....but maybe good enough.
otherwise try MD, but thats a can of worms! worth it if youre in for the long haul.
:)

Grace
04-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Brilliant!! Thanks to you both (Dodgy and HowardM) for the combined solution. Why is it the more I learn, the less I know? Anyways, I can't believe the wealth of knowledge in this forum and the willingness to share. Thankfully I don't have to open the MD can of worms...yet:p ...must remember FX_START...hehe...I'm embarassed to admit I didn't even know it existed..but now I do!!