PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal

meshmaster
04-12-2004, 11:30 AM
to sell the educational version after upgrading it to commercial? Only reason I ask is that that is what it looks like this guy is doing:

http://www.turbosquid.com/MessageBoard/index.cfm/FuseAction/ShowThread/TID/5041

mattclary
04-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Looks like he's selling the license, not just the educational copy. So, yes, it's legal. (he upgraded from educational to full, and he is now selling the full license).

Actually, "legal" isn't the right word, "Acceptable to Newtek" is the correct term.

Karmacop
04-12-2004, 12:24 PM
To me it sounds as though he upgraded to LW8 and thus his previous version of lightwave which was educational is now commercial. As long as he's not keeping the dongle etc then it's fine as far as i know, since Newtek see it as a commercial licence.

kcole
04-12-2004, 01:14 PM
I think it depends on the terms. In general, when you do an inline (not competitive) upgrade, the previous license may not be sold. But, that's not a universal policy by any means.

JCG
04-12-2004, 01:51 PM
A little off topic, sorry...

To me it sounds as though he upgraded to LW8 and thus his previous version of lightwave which was educational is now commercial. Wait wait wait a minute. Let me see if I understood this. Some years ago, I bought the educational version of LW 5.6, which included a free ride all the way to the educational version of 6.5

Then, I bought the regular $400 DFX+ deal with upgrade to 8 that everyone's gotten.

That doesn't mean that I now have a commercial license of LW, does it??? It's just that the quote made it sound like it did. I mean, the last time I asked, a long time ago, just switching from educational to commercial was $1200 and that didn't include 2 upgrades or any free compositing apps!

mattclary
04-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by JCG
Then, I bought the regular $400 DFX+ deal with upgrade to 8 that everyone's gotten.

That doesn't mean that I now have a commercial license of LW, does it??? It's just that the quote made it sound like it did. I mean, the last time I asked, a long time ago, just switching from educational to commercial was $1200 and that didn't include 2 upgrades or any free compositing apps!

Depends on how you upgraded, at times I think the deals for $400 would upgrade you from educational too.

The guy selling does not specify how or when he upgraded, but he does specify it's commercial. It's legal to sell.

You can contact Newtek to verify that user has a sellable license.

mattclary
04-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Two salient points from their upgrade FAQ:

I purchased and older version of LightWave 3D from a private seller, what is the upgrade charge?

Customers considering purchasing LightWave 3D from a private seller should be aware that anyone purchasing an older, PREVIOUSLY UNREGISTERED version of LightWave 3D will be charged $1195.00 to upgrade to the current version. Potential buyers should request the product serial number from the seller and verify its registration status with NewTek Customer Service.

I purchased an educational version of LightWave 3D, can I upgrade to a commercial version?

Customers considering upgrading LightWave 3D from an educational version to a commercial version should be aware that an educational version must be registered with NewTek for at least six months, before they are eligible to be upgraded to the commercial version. After that, if there is a version upgrade available, they will be able to upgrade to a commercial version by paying the regular commercial upgrade price. If there is not a version upgrade available, they can pay a conversion fee, which is normally set to the same price as a commercial upgrade.

JCG
04-12-2004, 02:39 PM
:eek: Oh Wow!

I've gone through like ten upgrades and who knows how many more in the 8s + gotten a free compositing app and a plugin for the price of an educational copy and a single normal upgrade that might have actually made it commercial?! It doesn't even seem fair!

mkiii
04-12-2004, 04:42 PM
In the sometimes complex world of software licenses, it definately pays to read the smallprint.

I must admit that having tried to find the info regarding selling or upgrading student licenses in response to another post, I'm left feeling a little confused.

My take on it is that regardless of the version you have - say 7.5c, if you want to make it a full license, you have to pay a fee, presumably $400 odd, which makes it nearer the cost of a normal full license if you include the original student price you paid.

From then on, you would pay normal upgrade prices for your full version, rather than the discounted student price.

Seems like a bargain to me.

eggy
04-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Is it legal to just sell my upgrade to Lightwave 8 to a LW 7.5 ? :confused:

I want to still work with Lightwave but not sure if the version 8 is shipping anyday and I really need some money.

Yes I'm curious.

mlinde
04-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by eggy

I want to still work with Lightwave but not sure if the version 8 is shipping anyday and I really need some money.

Yes I'm curious. Since you probably don't physically have the Lightwave 8 upgrade yet, the answer is likely no. However, if you were to get your LIghtwave 8 upgrade and sell it before touching it (assuming there is no fine print about it) then there is nothing illegal, since the LW[8] upgrade is useless without a dongle to license it to.

Karmacop
04-12-2004, 08:22 PM
JCG, you should ring Newtek or your dealer and ask ... it seems strange ... I updated from 5.6 to 6 and changed from educational to commercial and I didn't need to pay any extra. If you've been through a few upgrades and you didn't know you could upgrade to commercial essentially for free I'm sure they'll let you change your licence to commercial. Maybe you could cancel your LW8 upgrade and then reorder it as a commercial upgrade too? I'm not sure. Email Chuck and see what he has to say.

mattclary
04-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by eggy

Yes I'm curious.

Absolutely not. You have one license for LightWave, tied to your dongle. You can't sell your old copies of LightWave because they are tied to your one dongle. If you have two dongles, you can sell one of your copies of LightWave that is tied to that dongle.

pixelinfected
04-13-2004, 07:14 AM
older commercial version to lw75+free up 8
older edu version to commercial lw75+free up 8
but from edu is more expansive be cause original edu price is less than commercial price.

when you want to move your edu license to commercial, you buy a "commercial upgrade" that mean you pay something like a difference between edu to common lw license to newtek, then from that point you have a full commercial license, and you can do every thing.

is an option for all student license which people want to use at work. you can save money spent in past buy for edu version like a rebate for commercial version.

mattclary
04-13-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by mattclary
they will be able to upgrade to a commercial version by paying the regular commercial upgrade price. If there is not a version upgrade available, they can pay a conversion fee, which is normally set to the same price as a commercial upgrade.

i.e. about $495

Trawler
04-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Hi everyone!! Just got my educational copy of Lightwave 7.5 this weekend. So this is something I actually know something about. Did quite a bit of research on it. I purchased my copy from Safe Harbor.

Educational license = 369.99.
Upgrade from educational to commercial = 399.99.

And it comes with free upgrade to 8. I thought it was a pretty good deal. Check out http://www.sharbor.com/vendors/NTK.html for more info.

By the way, I've only had Lightwave for a couple of days and I already LOVE IT!!!

Karmacop
04-13-2004, 09:22 AM
I thought you had to wait awhile to upgrade your educational version to commercial :confused:

Trawler
04-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Yes, I'm sorry, didn't mean to imply that I had upgraded to the commercial license already. I barely could afford the $370 for the educational, can't afford to spend any more for a long, long time. There were just a few people wondering about the cost of upgrading to the commercial license.