PDA

View Full Version : Any Lightwavers from Ohio?

Tillamook
03-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Just curious if anyone is from Ohio that does lightwave

hrgiger
03-21-2003, 10:30 AM
I'm in Columbus, OH.

Tillamook
03-21-2003, 10:35 AM
I am a newbie to lightwave. I am currently trying to learn through books and tutorials off the web. I am from Dayton, Ohio. So we aren't all that to far apart. I think Columbus is about 30 mins away from Dayton if memory serves me right, maybe an hour.

raymondtrace
05-17-2003, 08:29 PM
I am also from Dayton. I just did a web search for 'Dayton/ohio/lightwave/3d' and turned up three folks.

I'm curious about networking with other LW users. The web is great for tutorials but you can't beat face to face interation with other users to share techniques.

There is a LW World Tour in Cinci in July. That may be a good time to see who uses LW in Ohio.

ivanjs
05-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Hey-
Saw your post after being alerted by another Dayton User. I've been using LightWave for about 5 years. I'm mostly a hardware freak (pipes, machines, etc.), but am slowly getting into character animation.

I'm art director at WDTN, and use it almost everyday as an illustration tool as well as for animations and elements (along with PhotoShop and After Effects).

I also teach LW at OIP&T here. Are you a hobbyist or do you use LightWave on the job? Just curious.

John
http://homepage.mac.com/johnselvia/

raymondtrace
05-18-2003, 08:57 AM
I also teach LW at OIP&T here. Are you a hobbyist or do you use LightWave on the job? Just curious.

I also did a teaching stint at OIPT. I would fit in the category of hobbyist now. My pipe dream is to make an 'Alien Song' or 'Daycare for Junior' and move to a studio.

Darttman
06-13-2003, 09:43 AM
Toledo <------------------- ;)

There I admitted I am from Toledo.

(actually a suburb of Toledo.)

Dayton...hmmmm that's two hours in good driving conditions. I like to go to the dayton computer show (man am I a geek or what?)

Is there a LW staff member living in Dayton gettin peeps hooked on LW? or is it hrgiger?

raymondtrace
06-13-2003, 12:05 PM
LW is being taught at Sinclair Community College and the Ohio Institute of Photography. It was also taught for a couple years at Stivers School for the Arts. All of these schools are in Dayton.

There is also a production studio in Dayton that uses LW and Maya.

I was introduced to LW back in 1994 at Sinclair by a fellow that travelled up from Cincinnati to teach it.

I'm looking forward to the LW tour to Cinci in July. That will probably best answer the question to this thread.

Grafx
06-13-2003, 10:07 PM
I live in Celina, about a 2 hour drive to Dayton. Every now or then I goto the Amiga User group meeting at the library. If others would like to get together I might be interested in driving there. Email me at graphx at adelphia.com

zander
07-02-2003, 07:33 AM
I'm in Columbus. I work in the Polaris area here (http://www.bluediesel.com).

Anyone going to the LightWave Worldwide Community Tour in Cincinnati
July 08 - July 09?

Whoops! Looks like it's been postponed? www.learnlightwave.com (http://www.learnlightwave.com)

Hmm, I can't tell what's going on... brain not working...

hrgiger
07-25-2003, 03:25 AM
What kind of stuff do you do with Lightwave Zander?

zander
07-25-2003, 10:26 AM
Hi hrgiger,

What kind of stuff do you do with Lightwave Zander?

Well, I've been working with LightWave (off and on) for about a year. I mostly do multimedia programming in Director and Flash, but I occasionally get to do some work in LightWave.

I've completed two animations (plus some other images for print pieces.) They're both MOA (Mechanism of Action) animations for the Pharmaceutical market, which basically means they demonstrate how a drug works.

Here are some links to my website:
Affinitak (http://www.bigevilbrain.com/index.php?page=projects&id=1)
Rituxan (http://www.bigevilbrain.com/index.php?page=projects&id=18)

Other than that, I mostly just mess around and try to figure out how to do stuff (bones, volumetrics, etc...)

For a while it looked like I would be doing some cell-shader stuff for a CD-ROM, but the client felt it looked too 3D. Imagine that... :)

And how about you?

newbie_dude
09-11-2004, 07:30 PM
There is also a production studio in Dayton that uses LW and Maya.

Raymondtrace,
Long time ago now you mentioned that there was this studio in Dayton. Are they still there (here)? Who are they? Any additional info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
-Newbie_dude

raymondtrace
09-12-2004, 04:17 PM
The studio that I visited was along the river between the art institute and main street. It was one building back from the road on one of the side streets. The place was called Video Post & Graphics.

http://www.vpng.com

They had a pretty nice set up, including motion control gear for live action.

Maybe John Selvia (ivanjs) might speak up on this studio since it was one of my OIP&T students that showed me the place. John may be sending more students to intern there (if they still exist). I visited back in 1999 or 2000.

Graphx
09-16-2004, 11:00 PM
I thought of putting together a Ohio based user group. Bu not knowing alot of people in Ohio that do Lightwave, I was just waiting foe one to pop up. But if I can get enough people interested I might try to get one organized. If you are interested please email me at graphx at wcoil dot com. Hope to hear from you soon

johnnyh66
09-28-2004, 10:24 AM
From Toledo... but not much work there, so I live in Chicago. Sorry, but I had to represent!

sthorn
10-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Another Daytonian here. My brother and I had relative success with our own graphics company for quite a few years around here. But, we both have families, and a steady paycheck does wonders for the soul :)

Been using LW for a long long long time, since the Amiga days, then we went to PC before LW was ported over, so we used 3D Studio, until LW made the jump, and been back on it ever since.

http://www.thorngrafx.com

BTW: John, one of my co-workers just went through your LW class at OIP&T.

JamesCurtis
10-25-2004, 12:29 PM
I see there are a few of us in Ohio! I live in Lake County, about a half hour's drive east of Cleveland. Been using LW since the Amiga Video Toaster days. I used to run an Amiga Video sig way back in the early '90's. I also wrote a few tutorial articles for the old Lightwave Pro newsletter/magazine. Would love to figure some way to meet other Ohio LWavians. Any ideas?

LWGuy
01-14-2005, 04:48 AM
Woohoo, I love Dayton!

stevo301103
01-15-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm from Mentor, about 20 minutes east of Cleveland on the snowy banks of Lake Erie. I've only been using Lightwave for about a year-and-a-half now,,, but hey - I'm young...

I'm in Florida at the moment honing my 3D skills... is there any sort of market in Ohio? I'd love to work for a bit around my friends and family, but I wasn't planning on it.

ivanjs
01-16-2005, 06:13 AM
If you can, get in with a TV station in Ohio that has LW. You get to do modeling and animation year round, hone your skills because of it, and grab a few Emmys along the way, and stand out if you're the only station like we are that does a LOT of 3D.

Of course, you have to enjoy that kind of thing... :)

John
Admin
The Lyzrd's Stomp
http://www.lyzrd.com/publish/
Photoshop tutorials and more.

LWGuy
01-19-2005, 07:06 PM
You could also work nationally or internationally. There are several companies in the midwest creating animation in LW soley for architectual purposes alone and making a decent living.

And not to knock my previous message, but the Internet has changed things a lot since I moved out from Ohio. I know an animator in Los Angeles who has worked at Digital Domain among others and now works from his home for a game company on the east coast. Go figure.

I suppose it's not so much where you live nowadays, but how refined your skills are and how well you market yourself.

Waves to ivanjs. :cool:
Enjoyed the subnetting and PS tuts on your site!

DiggitUp09
04-25-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm am located in Columbus (on the west side outside the 270 circle) and am 1 hour from Dayton. I've been teaching myself Lightwave for about 1 1/2 years and loving every minute of it! I would be very interested in hearing about any decent clasees to attend (or audit) if anyone knows of any. I would also be interested in meeting fellow local Lightwavers.