PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help.....

Lt.Wolf
04-11-2004, 03:44 PM
hey guys i'm new to LW like just got it, i was using 3d max befor but it just kept crashing on me and i can't get any work done. i'm in need of a person that knows LW well that can teach me my way around. this would be a big help to me. i have tut to get me started on animations but i have no idea where i'm at. so Guidence would be of great help

mkiii
04-12-2004, 05:35 AM
You want a personal tutor, one to one?

Boy that's going to be expensive. I'd stick to reading tutes & posting questions on this forum if I were you.

Oh, and that big white book that came in the box - take a look at that. You never know, it might come in useful. :rolleyes:

Lt.Wolf
04-12-2004, 12:48 PM
i dont'; have time to read 1000 ****ing pages or read tuts, i would just like some help but u ppl just don't care about helping the LW community . now i see why the max community is better then LWs'. and i didn't not get a book if u must know nor a box. my friend gave it to me, but now since this would be refered to as "pirating" u won't even bother to do anything but flame me. i'm not going to pay $1,500 just to gain self education thats bull. if i like this program and later on in life i'll buy it, but right now i'm not going to waste money, in which i don't have.

have a nice life, if u wish to still help plz feel free.

msn:[email protected]

or if there is vids tut(which i know there is) for rigging or somthing for LW beigginer like introduction to the button layout ect.

i'm not tryin to be mean or anything, i just don't have time/money to spend on this type of stuff. i want to leanr this but without some help, i'm lost.

gregsduncan
04-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Lt. Wolf

As a programmer myself I don't agree with piracy whether it's from a very small company or Microsoft for various reasons, one being the legality!

Having said that, Lightwave is freely available as a working version but with limitations as other 3D packages e.g. Maya also are.

All of us had to start somewhere and there are a vast number of tutorials on the web, many are here, on Newtek's site (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html) (click the link).

mkiii regularly replies with page and chapter from the manual in reply to people's questions. I think this comes from frustration of people asking questions which are easily answered by reading the manual. His statement to "treat the manual as one big tutorial" is a good and valid one too (if you have the manual :( )

The basic concepts of modelling apply across all packages so I'm sure if you know anything about 3D Max, this will help in your understanding of LW.

gregsduncan
04-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Even the manuals are available from http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/index.html and clicking on 7.0 and 7.5 (PDFs), so no problem with the manuals.....

gjjackson
04-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Man, lighten up. Whatever endeavor you pursue you have to make the effort. There are literally thousdands of tutorials on the web for every aspect of LW, from the most very basic to the most advanced. So just put your nose to the grindstone and study. This type of work does require a great deal of study.

Wish you happiness in the field :p

Darksuit
04-12-2004, 03:01 PM
There are also the Dan Ablan Books, not to mention others from New Riders (PeachPit Press) and other publishing companies. While you may not want tutorials. There is often good information lodged into the tutorials. Often When I am working with a particular program and want a specific effect, I will go look up a related tutorial and pulled the info out of that. I have gotten a lot of usage out of tutorials in 3D World Mag, printed in the UK you can find them at most any Large Scale Book Store.

If you have a specific question about how to do something, this is a good place to ask.

There are Free learning editions out there for just about any flavor of 3D that you want to be using.

mkiii
04-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Lt.Wolf
i dont'; have time to read 1000 ****ing pages or read tuts, i would just like some help but u ppl just don't care about helping the LW community . now i see why the max community is better then LWs'. and i didn't not get a book if u must know nor a box. my friend gave it to me, but now since this would be refered to as "pirating" u won't even bother to do anything but flame me. i'm not going to pay $1,500 just to gain self education thats bull. if i like this program and later on in life i'll buy it, but right now i'm not going to waste money, in which i don't have.

Boy that was an easy one.

Now read your own posts again & try to figure out why anyone would want to help you with that sort of attitude.

Lt.Wolf
04-12-2004, 05:33 PM
yes it appears u (your self) don't like straight forward ppl. i dont; like to beat around the ham, i want to cut through it and eat it alll up yumm ^_^

Lt.Wolf
04-12-2004, 05:37 PM
sry got double posting but i couldn't edit my post for some odd reason.

Having said that, Lightwave is freely available as a working version but with limitations as other 3D packages e.g. Maya also are. We all had to start somewhere.

yes we do and i choose withouth any limiations. cuz i don't have time to waste on somthing thats going to limit my progress or talent.

korn_kid
04-12-2004, 05:50 PM
You can also check your local Community College for any LightWave classes, thatís what I did and it only cost me $33.00 and it was worth every penny and much more. I learn a whole lot from my instructor and I suggest you do the same if you want someone in front of you teaching you LW hands on. I personalty enjoy learning a new program from a person than from any book but thatís just me.

Good luck with LightWave!

Lt.Wolf
04-12-2004, 05:58 PM
i don;t want a teacher, i just want some helping geting around

mkiii
04-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Lt.Wolf
yes it appears u (your self) don't like straight forward ppl. i dont; like to beat around the ham, i want to cut through it and eat it alll up yumm ^_^

So let me get this right. *I* don't like people being direct??

How is that? Please explain, I need a laugh.

Oh... you dont want a teacher? so why did you say
i'm in need of a person that knows LW well that can teach me my way around

You want help, try being less of a dick.

gjjackson
04-12-2004, 09:19 PM
You seem to have found your way to the forum here. A little more searching and this link is available.

http://members.shaw.ca/LightWavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

robk
04-12-2004, 09:53 PM
I just ordered the 3d garage tutorials from Dan Ablan and they should be here tommorrow. I tried his free tutorial on the web (downloaded the 5 or 6 uncompressed avi's) the quality of the video is great as well as Dan's exellent teaching style. I am a newbie to lightwave after spending 10 years with Imagine. I think I learn't more of the basics from the avi tutorial than All the reading I have done in the lightwave manuals. I ordered his signature course as well as the advanced course.
You can review the courses and read reviews on his site.
http://www.3dgarage.com/

Rob Klein
Liquid Light 3D Graphics Inc.

Silkrooster
04-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Frankly I don't think anybody here should help you. first of all I don't beleive in Piracy. Second of all I definatly don't like stuck up snobs. If you want any help politly ask for it, I am sure more than enough people will help you. As for piracy, how would to like to spend several days designing your best work you ever have done, just to have someone else Steal it and sell it as their own work. I am on a fixed income and I found a way to legally purchase this software. So I don't take kindly to crybabies that do not have the time or money to use this software.
If you do not want to get on board, then go else where. :mad:

robk
04-12-2004, 11:06 PM
I just re-read your post and realize you didn't buy the product. If you have pirated the program please remove yourself from this forum. You are wasting the time of people that spent their hard earned cash to buy Lightwave. Go back to your 3dmax forum and stir crap up there.

mkiii
04-13-2004, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by gjjackson
You seem to have found your way to the forum here. A little more searching and this link is available.

http://members.shaw.ca/LightWavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

You forget. he doesn't want to read a manual or tutes
dont'; have time to read 1000 ****ing pages or read tuts

Paul Lara
04-13-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Lt.Wolf (now BANNED)
i dont'; have time to read 1000 ****ing pages or read tuts...
have a nice life, if u wish to still help plz feel free.
...without some help, i'm lost.

Yeah, you're lost all right. You've lost all access to NewTek's forums for starters. :(

As you said, "Have a nice life"

phil lawson
04-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Geessh some people... Expecting help after coming to the offical fourm of a company and stating basically 'I stole your software, now I want help, but I couldnt be arsed to do any work myself'.

Idiot... :D

Alanzh
04-13-2004, 08:46 AM
I have to say I'm impressed by one thing in this thread - I admire you all for your forbearance! ;)

Al

techpower
04-21-2004, 09:42 AM
I'm impressed...but not with the three year old that posted this! Now I know I'm in the right place.

Skunk
04-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Hey dude,

Try Simply Lightwave (simplylightwave.com) it should help on the tutorial aspect of thing, check it out.

Also, try a search though the forums or post whatever question you have. People are really accomodating (ignore those who aren't).

Whatever,
SKUNK