PDA

View Full Version : Particle generation from image map not working

agv
04-10-2004, 04:41 AM
I can't get particles to generate from an image map.

I have a black and white image applied as a texture map to the "Generate by" setting in the Particle EFX Emitter. But no particles are showing up. If I switch that same texture to a procedural, I can suddenly see the effect of the procedural working just fine...so I know I'm close.

But why wouldn't a texture map work if a procedural would? Yes, I made sure to adjust the size of my texture and set it to the correct axis. I also tried inverting it for kicks too, but still see no particles.

Am I doing something wrong, or is Lightwave jerking me around?

agv
04-10-2004, 05:41 AM
Well, I seemed to have solved my own problem. I incorrectly assumed that I could use a black and white image for the generation texture (hey, it works for other maps!) when in fact it required an image with an alpha channel to create the area where particles are born.

Hmm....couldn't find that in the manual.

hunter
04-10-2004, 08:46 AM
If you set your b&w image to alpha blend mode it should work even without an alpha channel.

agv
04-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks Hunter!

agv
04-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Now the problem I'm having is that LW keeps crashing when doing this.

agv
04-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Furthermore, using an image sequence to animate the area from which particles generate is a mess. I'm not seeing particles generate from those areas accurately. The behavior is erratic; not something that I seem to be doing, but just "now you see it, now you don't!" Switching to a different ap to do this effect.