PDA

View Full Version : "Select All" Keyboard Command?

pcjuice
04-09-2004, 01:50 PM
I know there must be a "select all" object keyboard command in Modeler 7.5c but I can't find it? Any help?

I'm somewhat familiar with the "]" but not sure how it works?
I know that I was able to select an object (pure luck).

(Not looking for lasso with right mouse button)

gregsduncan
04-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Sorry if you knew this but having NOTHING selected is the same as having EVERYTHING selected. If you want to see everything highlighted for reassurance, deselect everything and hit " (Shift 2) to invert the selection.

To deselect everything make sure you haven't got any tools active (e.g. move / box / scale etc) and click in a grey bit of the interface (underneath the buttons on the left normally). This in effect deselects (yet selects) everything!

pcjuice
04-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Hey, thanks! Nice way to select multiple layers; however, what
I was looking for is "selecting all" parts of an object within a layer from the keyboard.

I'd like to see the highligted parts. I know I can move...etc. the entire object within a layer, without having it highlighted.

gregsduncan
04-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Just to make it easy for me to understand....

You have a model. Does it just have one layer? Does it have different surfaces assigned to it?

When you say "parts" do you mean the polygons which make up the object? (Parts are something different in LW)

OK - here's another way if you want to see all the polygons selected. Make sure you are in Polygon mode (click "Polygons" at the bottom of the interface, or CTRL H). Open the Polygon statistics window by clicking w. Click the + where it says "Total" at the top of the polygon stats window. Is this what you want?

pcjuice
04-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Your second description pretty nearly covers my question.

I was just wondering, if any key combo would do just that... selecting all the polygons, or better still highlighting all the polygons. Using "w" and "total+" covers it, I guess I was looking for a short cut.

By the way, thanks for the quick reply.

gregsduncan
04-09-2004, 04:31 PM
The / key will drop the current tool and deselect all polygons. This is like them all being selected.

However, after you have pressed / you can press " to select all the polys and have their yellow highlights...

The only way I know....

gregsduncan
04-09-2004, 04:37 PM
However, if you have say a ball and a box in the same layer, you can't just select the box or the ball individually. There you will have to lasso with the right mouse button.

Really you should create separate components of a model in different layers first. Then you can later paste all the individual layers together.

Note that you use different layers so that you can individually animate different bits of your model in Layout.

Another way in Modeler is to create the first bit of your model and give it a surface name (q). Then do the next bit in another layer but give this bit of the model a different surface name before you cut and paste the second layer into the first.

Then, when the two bits are in the same layer, you can call up polygon stats (w), click the drop arrow next to "Surf:" and select the surface you want to select. Then click the + next to surface. This selects all the polys with that surface. No keyboard shortcuts.

Hope this helps and hasn't confused!

pcjuice
04-09-2004, 04:59 PM
I do work on individual layers, however, I like to see the highlighted object and rather than lasso, I was seeking a quick keyboard command to do just that.

If you select one polygon in an object, say in an multi-object layer, and press the "]", it will select the entire object within the one layer. I think that's a quick way to do the same thing.

This forum has some great support, thanks again...
(I'm glad that I don't use T-Space any more.):D