PDA

View Full Version : LightWave For Linux SuSE??

Kira Yamato
04-09-2004, 02:08 AM
is there any product for linux from newtek, i am a linux user and i want to install lightwave to my pc but i run linux as an OS.

help me plz

thanks, newtek.

sheidi
04-09-2004, 03:01 AM
Well, I'm not from Newtek but I'm pretty sure about the answer. No, there's no Lightwave for Linux. You can use linux for a rendernode though. Screamernet has a linux client. Tho, Linux port would be great, I think I would stop using Windows immediately when LW would be available on Linux.

LAV
04-09-2004, 04:41 PM
I have had the same idea, in the past days... No more win! Linux is opensource and free, LW trademarked and not free, but I think the marriage would be really lucky!

Quicksilver
04-13-2004, 03:12 AM
You should stick with Maya in this case...
INFORTUNATELY:(
If it is of any consolation there are others like you out there with the very same expectation/wish.

meshmaster
04-13-2004, 12:19 PM
if they ever do port to linux.

WizCraker
04-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver
You should stick with Maya in this case...
INFORTUNATELY:(
If it is of any consolation there are others like you out there with the very same expectation/wish.

I would say Houdini over Maya. But the learning Curve is Steep.

Noclar7
04-13-2004, 02:15 PM
you can run the "discovery" edition on linux using wine and wineX from transworld.

certain things like viper, and the shader previews dont work, but you can model to your hearts content , and render with a bit of guesswork.

I run mandrake at home and have a copy running there just to play around with if I have a brain fart before I get to the studio.

hopefully all these requests and questions that pop up every other week from linux users will trigger some kind of response from newtek. But you have to understand there situation I guess. And as much as the linux folk would love to be running LW natively, the market goes WIN, MAC, LNX... that is. for now..

Hell, I've been waiting for my copy of LW8 since last june, I think I can wait for a Lnx distro :p