PDA

View Full Version : Inside Lightwave 8 by Dan Ablan

rebelr6
04-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Has anyone gotten hold of a copy of this book yet, or is it scheduled to be released at the same time as Lightwave 8?

I am looking for a good in-depth book to complement the manual. Is the current edition any good, or should I wait for the new one to come out?

hrgiger
04-08-2004, 08:18 PM
The last I heard, Inside Lightwave 8 was probably due out towards the middle to end of May.

Zach
04-09-2004, 02:56 AM
do you have LW 8 already?

Lukesutherland
04-09-2004, 03:56 AM
I bought Inside LW6 by Dan Alban a few years ago, found it really helpful. Actually I still refer to it on occassion, a great companion to the manuals and essential if you are learning the programme for the first time. IMO.

rebelr6
04-09-2004, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Zach

No, I don't unfortunately. I'm eagerly waiting for it like everyone else!

T-Light
04-09-2004, 07:02 AM
"Is the current edition any good, or should I wait for the new one to come out?".

I have three of Dan Ablans books, they're all excellent, especially 'Inside LW 7'. As there are alot of changes in LW8 though, I'd hold my horses and wait.

Not long now :)

CoryC
04-09-2004, 07:28 AM
Accourding to Dan, ILW8 is close to 1000 pages long and a complete rewrite. He will be finishing it up this week and it is planned to be shipping at the end of May. The book will be coming with an extra surprise that will be announced later.

rebelr6
04-09-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by CoryC
Accourding to Dan, ILW8 is close to 1000 pages long and a complete rewrite. He will be finishing it up this week and it is planned to be shipping at the end of May. The book will be coming with an extra surprise that will be announced later.

1000 pages, wow! Thanks a lot for the info. I'll hold on and be patient :)

dablan
04-09-2004, 09:40 AM
That's right Cory -
thanks all.

Yep, it's about finished now. A few more things to do, and we're off to the printer.

Should be out by end of May, early June. However, due to distribution, stores won't see it for a little while after that.
Email me with questions.

Once we're close to release, I'll reveal the chapter breakdown, new cover, tutorial list, images, and the big bonus.

Thanks for the support. Soon, I sleep. :)

tjacobs
04-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Inside LW7 was great. It has a good patch modeling section (chapter 10) for building a head.

dablan
04-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks tj,
well, the new INLW 8 has many modeling chapters.
You'll use box method, point by point, and even splines to build a character.

CoryC
04-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by dablan

No, no, no. The weather is starting to get nice. Time for some photography. Sleep is for the winter.

mattclary
04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Should be out by end of May, early June. However, due to distribution, stores won't see it for a little while after that.

Careful there, Dan, don't want to go too fast and beat L8 to the shelves! ;)

Zach
04-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Dan, I love you buddy!!

dablan
04-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys -
Cory, we hold the book until the software is out.
LightWave 8 Killer Tips (my other new book) will be out in a matter of weeks, that is, once LW is out :)

Zach - right back at cha buddy!

gregsduncan
04-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Please - no more surprises and bonuses - I'll go to overload soon!

What with UV Edit Pro, FPrime, thoughts of Q4 2003, Q1 2004, March 22, Officer Kamiichi and now.... Dan Ablan's secret bonus.....

Please let's get our hands on V8 first THEN you can send all the bonuses / plug-ins etc you like :p

Anyway, reeeaaallly lookin forward to the new character modeling chapters.

I hope your book release doesn't tie in with the release of V8.:(

phil lawson
04-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Excellent Dan, cant wait for the new books. Loved ILW7, as it helped me outta a few situations. :)

'LightWave 8 Killer Tips (my other new book) will be out in a matter of weeks, that is, once LW is out'

You mean LW8's out in a few weeks? You know something we dont?? ;) :D

dablan
04-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Phil,
what I mean is, Killer Tips is scheduled to come out in a few weeks, but we can't until LW 8 is out.
So, here's hoping....

gregsduncan
04-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Yeah, come on Dan - tell us the release date for V8 will ya! After all, it's us guys here who buy your books!

Just four words followed by a date will do

"The release date is ................."

Do it for your fans (just this once), or at least until V9 is due for release :p

If you do, I'll buy TWO copies of ILW8!!!

stefan
04-09-2004, 01:12 PM
That's right Cory -
thanks all.

Yep, it's about finished now. A few more things to do, and we're off to the printer.

Email me with questions.

Once we're close to release, I'll reveal the chapter breakdown, new cover, tutorial list, images, and the big bonus.

he dan, please a german version of book!!

phil lawson
04-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Phil,
what I mean is, Killer Tips is scheduled to come out in a few weeks, but we can't until LW 8 is out.
So, here's hoping....

I was just messing Dan :) I would release the books now...has the hype for lightwave [8] and all this fuss due to 'setbacks' would sell the books like hot cakes with inside documentation on new features. :)

Or cant you release the books until lw8 is out under contract?

Cheers.

gregsduncan
04-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Dan, a great book I would buy if you could write it over this weekend would be called "INSIDE NEWTEK". One of the things it should cover would be the V8 release date. :)

Zach
04-09-2004, 01:21 PM
I really don't think anyone knows the release date for 8. If they did, then we would all probably know what it is.

It seems that it's not that NewTek is being mysterious, its just that all they can do is speculate on a release date. So far, that hasn't done them any good. Peebler (with a suprise to everyone, including NewTek) let 7.0 out at NAB, maybe they'll do that with 8.

gregsduncan
04-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Was Brad Peebler one of the original authors of LW? Did he leave to start a new CG product?

The forums seem to have gone quieter over moaning about the release date. I think everyone knows it won't get it here quicker and we're just all waiting. Frustrated but waiting.

Just been watching some of the preview videos again and it looks real good.

Barred
04-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Dan a dumb question if I may :)

In the UK there is no signe of "Inside LW8" but there is for "Inside LW X" is it the same book (hope so as Ihave it on order:))?

T-Light
04-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Barred, it is the same book :)

hrgiger
04-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Yes, LIghtwave X is just a placeholder, most likely due to the fact that the cover has not been displayed yet.

Barred
04-10-2004, 02:53 AM
Thxs guys :)

I had to check :)

badllarma
04-10-2004, 09:48 AM
Yup I ordered Inside Lightwave 8 (read x) back in October (it was for a birthday present off the gf in fact it's been that long we split up I went out with someone else then got back together :D ) It's been that long!!

I was wondering when I'll be finally getting it, in fact so was she :) also ordered 'LightWave 8 Killer Tips' a couple of weeks ago in some ways it would be great to have all the books before Lightwave 8 was out so I'll have read up on all the new tools ready for when the software is released :)

I think we have seen all the new additions in the Proton videos so I cannot see what harm it would do? Think how busy we are going to be playing with 8, working, reading up on 8 (does not look like I'll be able to read the next Inside book in the bath again :D ) 1000 pages!

My rubber duck will be disappointed :D

gregsduncan
04-10-2004, 09:51 AM
badllarma - with all that time you're gonna be spending with your computer and Lightwave, you'd better schedule in some time for your girlfriend or else........

dablan
04-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Guys -
thanks for all the support - that makes it worthwhile. This book has taken all of my time the past four months. It actually started last fall, but has been really intense the last two months.

As for the German version - there was one for Inlw 7 - let me know if you can't find it, I have a copy here. Send me an email and I'll hook you up. After all, I certainly can't read it! :)

As for the "Inside X" title - the publisher has this thing with Amazon for books coming up. Until LightWave 8 was "officially" announced, the "X" was put in as a placeholder. In the upcoming weeks, this cover will be updated with the new character I've made, which is built in the book via LightWave 8 Modeler, using splines, subpatching, and more. Right now, I have one more chapter to do, which I hope to finish this weekend. We've been editing all along and 'I think' 75% is in production now. In the past, we've edited at the end, which takes longer. Now, we edit right away so thoughts and ideas are fresh :) Our problem at this point is keeping the book under 1000 pages. More than that is both costly and problematic, as many of you have seen. The spines can't handle that amount of pages, they simply don't hold up. So, I've worked it to keep it under 1000, but provide more information than any previous book. Bwwahahahahaa.

I'm pretty sure NewTek is giving away about six copies at NAB, along with six copies "Killer Tips" - maybe seven, not sure. Killer Tips will be out soon, we're just waiting for the official release. I think you'll really like this. 100% color, 240 pages... cool stuff. In the coming weeks, I'll release full (and final) chapter run down, and the final cover, images from tutorials, etc. I can't thank you guys enough for the support. There are many times I've been ready to quit doing these books :) Feeback is good.

Anyone going to SIGGRAPH? I'll be there with books n' stuff - checking out the show, mabye giving a demo or two for NewTek. Of course, that's not until August, but I like to plan ahead.

badllarma
04-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by gregsduncan
badllarma - with all that time you're gonna be spending with your computer and Lightwave, you'd better schedule in some time for your girlfriend or else........

All in hand :) she is an artist in the traditional mediums which she has now decided to try the digital side of things recently bought a digital camera and laptop (doing a collage course in September) so she is busy learning photoshop while I'm on Lightwave.

Method in the madness so to speak :D

To be honesty think she missed the dog more than me :rolleyes: :D

WilliamVaughan
04-10-2004, 12:56 PM
This book is going to be great....I love that it has all ne material and think it is a must have for any LightWave user...of course all of Dan's books have always been that way :)

dablan
04-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Hey Thanks Proton!

Everyone should also like your killer modeling chapter! I've added to it and it's really a nice section.

Your helpful tips added to the Killer Tips book as well. So, it's a great time to be a LW user! Lots of good materials coming out with the "Proton" stamp of approval. :)

badllarma
04-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Back to the subject

Really looking forward to those tuts Dan bought Inside 6, 7 and now 8 and always found the very useful :)

Zach
04-10-2004, 04:34 PM
I can't wait either. I have to buy all of Dan's books. It's a weird compulsion!

All new material sounds great, and like it was a lot of work!

Will definately be looking forward to it!

Was Brad Peebler one of the original authors of LW? Did he leave to start a new CG product?

As for that. I believe he was director of marketing or something like that, and released it at NAB without The Big Guys permission. But that could be just rumor.

Anyway, as for leaving, you'd be right one, aye? Were you thinking that I was thinking that THEY were thinking about thinking of having the Peeb's start thinking about thinking about doing a suprise release of 8?

I don't think that'd ever happen...

:D

mlinde
04-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Anyone going to SIGGRAPH? I'll be there with books n' stuff - checking out the show, mabye giving a demo or two for NewTek. Of course, that's not until August, but I like to plan ahead. I'm trying to figure out if I can. I got somewhere to flop, just gotta get some airfare and pay my entry fees. I'm working on having a demo reel ready as well, since Denver Colorado isn't exactly a 3D mecca :eek:

Barred
04-11-2004, 03:07 AM
Like others I have bought all of Dans Books and am looking forward to his latest.

Unfortunatly I cant run to his CD based course but his books have been invaluable.
As you read this thread Dan.
Thanks for all your efforts, I have learnt a lot from them over the years.

ballew
04-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Anyone going to SIGGRAPH? I'll be there with books n' stuff - checking out the show, mabye giving a demo or two for NewTek. Of course, that's not until August, but I like to plan ahead.

Where is SIGGRAPH this year?

Craig

gregsduncan
04-11-2004, 09:37 AM
L.A.

Web Site (http://www.siggraph.org/s2004/)

dablan
04-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Thanks Barred!

archiea
04-11-2004, 01:57 PM
1000 pages? looks like a trip to kinkos is in order... hve kinkos but them in a binder. Much easier....

Zach
04-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Breakin' the law, breakin' the law!

Uhheheheheh....

:rolleyes:

gregsduncan
04-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Zach.... I'm sure archiea is a very law abiding citizen and means :

1) He'll take the book to Kinkos when it starts falling to pieces to be bound again.

2) For the publishers to go to Kinko's

3) He really is gonna copy, bind and sell them himself ! :eek:

Miles
04-12-2004, 03:27 AM
I'm pretty sure NewTek is giving away about six copies at NAB, along with six copies "Killer Tips" - maybe seven, not sure. >>> Anyone going to SIGGRAPH? I'll be there with books n' stuff :eek: BUT - BUT I JUST PAID 4 BOTH via Amazon!!! :mad: I can't $wing a trip to NAB and/or SIG too now... :p

Seriously though, I hope the Pre-release sales of both your upcoming books helps support your efforts Dan. ;)

Does the bonus ??? you noted earlier apply to those who bought your books through Amazon?

dablan
04-12-2004, 08:22 AM
Hey Miles!
Thanks for the support.

The bonus will be with every book.

:)

jamesl
04-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Zach

Of course! Why, don't you? ;)

j

gregsduncan
04-13-2004, 01:16 AM
James - you're a bit out of date now aren't you? Like most people on this forum I'm on 8.5 - didn't anyone tell you there was an update?

Zach
04-13-2004, 02:43 AM
Awe Schucks!

Kuzey
04-13-2004, 03:46 AM
Hey Thanks Proton!

Everyone should also like your killer modeling chapter! I've added to it and it's really a nice section.

Ooooooo.....Oooooooo....Proton's got a modeling chapter!!!

Mighty fine stuff!!

Kuzey

WilliamVaughan
04-13-2004, 08:38 AM
It was fun to work on and is only one chapter of many....this book is going to be amazing!

akota
04-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey Dan!

I was re-watching some of the Advanced Courseware vids and got thirsty for the 8 Signature Series. Any update on it's release?

Oh, and will there be an 8 series Advanced Coursware?

Love your stuff!

Jason

dablan
04-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Hey Jason,
8 Courseware is in the works, and will ship shortly after the "official" release of LW 8. We've got a lot of pre-release orders to burn, so it'll take a little bit to get them packaged and shipped. Pre-release sale price ends soon.

We will not have an advanced 8 course. I'm putting a lot of info into the Signature 8 course, from beginner basics, through more complex topics like dynamics. One complete course.

Then, we'll have more specific courses coming out this summer, and we're working on project based courses as well.

Thanks for your interest!

akota
04-13-2004, 10:37 AM
(Homer Simpson voice)

Oooo... dynamics....

Can't wait to see it!

Thanks for the update!

Jason

WilliamVaughan
04-13-2004, 10:42 AM
I look forward to your 8 courses.....the 7.5 ones were great!

dablan
04-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks Proton.
I think people will be really happy with your contributions to the Inside LW 8 book, Killer Tips, and the LightWave manual.

Keep up the great work!

artmarci
04-15-2004, 06:31 AM
Hi Dan Ablan first of all thanks for getting me started in 3d with your Inside Lightwave 7 book...opend up a hole new world :D!

But about Inside Lightwave 8...i read that it will be a hole rewrite and some new tips and tricks (Ofcours i cant wait for it JUST BRING IT !!!)

Only one thing i live in the Netherlands (Yes i know that little country that you can't c on the map :P)and it is not that i dont read or speak english very well but i asked this also on your last book.

Will there or can there be any other languages i can order this?

Ha like for instance...lets say...in Dutch?:D

Its just for the ease of things ya know that will work quicker in learning things.

I would realy be happy when this wish will be granted.

But untill then Dan m8 Please Keep Op The Good Work Ya Doing Great!
And say Hi to my men Stuart please also ok?

Ok thx for reading and 3dya later aiight?Good:D

dablan
04-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Hi art -
thanks for reading. We have both the 6 and 7 books translated into 4 or 5 languages. I'm not sure if Dutch is one of them. I'll suggest it to the publisher though!

Thanks -

Zach
04-15-2004, 11:21 AM
Kuzey,

I think you have one of the coolest avatars!

Dan, I can't say anything else about your stuff without sounding like a stalker!

Looking forward to running into some dough then running into your 8 (hopefully more advanced) courseware.

artmarci
04-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Ok thanks Dan:D!
Wel i hope things will work out then for us dutchfokes,
but even if it doesn't i still looking forward for your book

Wel 3dya later aiight?Good:D!

archiea
04-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by gregsduncan
Zach.... I'm sure archiea is a very law abiding citizen and means :

1) He'll take the book to Kinkos when it starts falling to pieces to be bound again.

2) For the publishers to go to Kinko's

3) He really is gonna copy, bind and sell them himself ! :eek:

Jeez, u gys have me pegged!!!:eek:

Actually I'd bind it as soon as its in the door... its alot easier to work with a binder than a glued, ready to bust, spine that looks like the back of Anna Nichole Smiths bra clasps