PDA

View Full Version : Sort of new Tutorial

hrgiger
04-08-2004, 01:29 PM
I posted my first tutorial to my site today. It's an eye rigging tutorial. It's only sort of new because it is siimilar to the eye rigging tutorial that is already here on Newtek's site but I mainly put it up to test the waters of tutorial writing. Here's the link: http://www.giger3d.com/Eye_Rigging_Tutorial.htm

I'd like to hear your opinions on if it was clear enough and also if the graphics were slow to load or fast. I can reduce the resolution of the pictures if I had to to make it low bandwidth friendly.
Also, let me know what you'd like to see more tutorials on. I have some character modeling tutes in mind and also some character animation tutes.

art
04-08-2004, 02:54 PM
I want to see more of everything :)
No, but seriously I'd like to see more of (in this order of importance):

Character Animation
Character Modeling
Texturing

hrgiger
04-08-2004, 03:23 PM
I have had a few people asking me before about doing some character modeling tutorials so that's what I'll probably work on next. Unless that is more people vote to see one of the other items first.

koots
04-08-2004, 04:41 PM
i really like video tut's www.simplylightwave.com has great ones... i think those tuts are much more effective. I will pay for those tut's as for html tuts i would not pay for...
hope this helps
-jonn

siproductions
04-08-2004, 05:59 PM
SFX Please more of that. There are very few good tutorials on making mind blowing SFX and I would love to see more ideas and thoughts about that subject. :)

hrgiger
04-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by koots
i really like video tut's www.simplylightwave.com has great ones... i think those tuts are much more effective. I will pay for those tut's as for html tuts i would not pay for...
hope this helps
-jonn

I'm not going to be charging for the tuts john.

I had thought of doing some video tutorials but the microphone I have sounds like crap so I'd have to invest in a new one.

petermark
04-08-2004, 07:57 PM
I thought that the best way of controlling eyes was to target them both at one Null and position that null at the actual location on which the character is focusing. After all, a person's eyes always converge at some point...

I'd like to see effects tutorials, especially on dynamics (and especially when LW8 comes out) cause I find those menus horribly confusing. Rigging might be good too, cause I always end up with quirks of some kind.

hrgiger
04-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Petermark,

I found using only one null cumbersome as you have to keep the target farther away from the face to keep the character from looking a little cross eyed. It was annoying when I was working in close to the character and then having to zoom out everytime I wanted to make an adjustment to the eye position, which is usually a lot during the course of an animation. You'll find that simulating things as they are in the real world isn't always the best answer when it comes to translating it to 3D.

As far as dynamics and FX goes, my thoughts were I would probably be waiting for LW8 for tutorials since there are such drastic changes to dynamics in 8. I doubt people will be using MD quite as much once 8 comes out so I don't think a MD tutorial would be as useful right now.

Jake
04-08-2004, 09:02 PM
The tutorial is clear. Pretty easy to follow. The layout of page is not good- the text is huge, the lines break in abruptly in places, white on black text, etc. It's not a big deal-the information is way more important than the style. But I'm just throwing that out there as a suggested area of improvement.

If you have done a tutorial on eye motion, why don't you build on it some more? Realistic blinking. How to make the flesh of the eyelids interact realistically with the mass of the eyes. Maybe some examples of using eye motion to convey emotional states.

Silkrooster
04-08-2004, 10:00 PM
petermark -
I thought that the best way of controlling eyes was to target them both at one Null and position that null at the actual location on which the character is focusing. After all, a person's eyes always converge at some point...

No that is not always true. Atleast for those without a handycap it is true. I thought I would bring that up. Becareful in saying the word always and never. They are very powerful words that usually are not true.;)

hrgiger
04-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Jake
The tutorial is clear. Pretty easy to follow. The layout of page is not good- the text is huge, the lines break in abruptly in places, white on black text, etc. It's not a big deal-the information is way more important than the style. But I'm just throwing that out there as a suggested area of improvement.

Yeah Jake, I was just at school and looked at the website from there and it looks like crap from another computer. It looks just fine on mine. I just went on and updated it and shrank the text some. Maybe it will look a little better now. I'm just learning frontpage to use so I'm no front page jedi. I'll work on it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

diya
04-09-2004, 01:26 AM
"Bush is the Devil."

Yeah, Bush is the devil son of the devil..!

Diya.

hrgiger
04-09-2004, 04:25 AM
I've started a character modeling tutorial. Wouldn't mind some feedback on it before it goes too far. Here's the first page: http://giger3d.com/male_torso_modeling.htm

T-Light
04-09-2004, 06:53 AM
Cloth Modelling isn't included above. :(

Creases, seams etc. Your work in that area is quite simply excellent.

hrgiger
04-09-2004, 11:12 AM
T-LIght,

I was including cloth in with character modeling....I'll be doing a few different types of clothing.

paulhart
04-09-2004, 11:25 AM
hrgiger, Hello... Just checked out the eye tutorial, excellent, very clear, good sequence, clean images, thumbs-up on the effort. I look forward to more. It is contributions like this that make the Lightwave community worthwhile and invite new users to the base, thank you for your gift of time.
Paul

T-Light
04-09-2004, 11:37 AM
"I was including cloth in with character modeling....I'll be doing a few different types of clothing." -HRGiger

Good Man :cool:

Nemoid
04-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Hey HR, good job man!!
I'd keep up with char modelling and do char animating the next :)

hrgiger
04-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys.

As you can see, I already started on a character modeling session here(same link as before) and just started on the second page: http://giger3d.com/male_torso_modeling.htm
Not sure if it will turn into a complete character yet. Probably not, I'm just trying to give some insight about a possible way to do character modeling with this one.
Seems that a lot of people want to see F/X stuff so I'll probably do one of those next.

hrgiger
04-11-2004, 07:44 AM
I've added a section for beginners. I want to cover some of the stuff that I've seen questions a lot for on these boards. My first one is on spline patching because people seem to always have trouble with that at first.
Also, the torso modeling tut is moving along. The tutorials page is here: http://www.giger3d.com/Tutorial_Menu.htm
I'm new to web design so the site is going to be constantly evolving. For right now I'm trying to keep it plain and simple. But any comments or cirts on on the site or tutorials would be appreciated.

bloontz
04-11-2004, 08:00 AM
I would like to see how you approach your clothing also, I've had a hard time getting form fitting clothing that deforms without the underlying geometry intersecting it.

hrgiger
04-11-2004, 08:09 AM
bloontz,

I'll be doing a clothing tutorial but I can tell you that generally I model the clothes as part of the character so there usually IS no underlying geometry to intersect. There's no point in modeling something that is not going to be seen.
However, sometimes you have to model them seperately such as my character that has a long trenchcoat to blow in the wind or if a character needs to take a particular item off during an animation. I've had pretty good results before in making the weight map for the clothing and body at the same time so that the values are pretty much the same hence the movement is the same. A solution for your problem is coming in LW8 however, as you'll be able to select those points that intersect during animation and push them back under the clothing with the new selectable points in Layout.

bloontz
04-11-2004, 09:10 AM
Thanks for that info, I had felt that was the most logical approach (modeling as a part of the figure) but with draped clothing like your trench coat, even with the weight maps matching I still had problems with intersecting. I'm hoping that the cloth dynamics in 8 will be more approachable, that should also help with the process.

Dave Davies
04-11-2004, 11:56 AM
<I found using only one null cumbersome as you have to keep the target farther away from the face to keep the character from looking a little cross eyed. >

My way of eliminating the cross-eyed look is to put a null in front of each eyeball, and target the eyeball at the null in front of it ( ie: target EYEBALL_LEFT at EYEBALL_LEFT_NULL, and target EYEBALL_RIGHT at EYEBALL_RIGHT_NULL).

Then, make another null, and parent the first two nulls to it. ASNywher this pointer null moves, the eyebals follow in unison.

Dave Davies

petermark
04-11-2004, 03:07 PM
I see what you mean about the eyes. I might try that next time too.

Thanks for the new tutorial, it's neat how you did it image-based following the muscles.

A tutorial on clothing would be good. I've never attempted clothing cause I thought it'd be too hard.

hrgiger
04-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Dave Davies
<I found using only one null cumbersome as you have to keep the target farther away from the face to keep the character from looking a little cross eyed. >

My way of eliminating the cross-eyed look is to put a null in front of each eyeball, and target the eyeball at the null in front of it ( ie: target EYEBALL_LEFT at EYEBALL_LEFT_NULL, and target EYEBALL_RIGHT at EYEBALL_RIGHT_NULL).

Then, make another null, and parent the first two nulls to it. ASNywher this pointer null moves, the eyebals follow in unison.

Dave Davies

If I understand what you're saying Dave, that's exactly what my tutorial tells you to do.

riki
04-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Sweet, new tuts, will check them out.

GregMalick
04-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Where did you get the great muscle diagrams you used in the modeling tutorial?

paulhart
04-12-2004, 01:08 PM
Excellent demo of building the poly flow to correspond to the underlying muscle structure, in this case the torso. Great demonstration of the concept that can be applied to other organic form development. Clean process in the building, well done, thank you

hrgiger
04-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by GregMalick
Where did you get the great muscle diagrams you used in the modeling tutorial?

The abdominal muscle one was taken off of http://www.fineart.sk/.

The arm diagram I scanned from one of my favorite books 'Anatomy for the artist' ISBN# 1-56619-245-5

By th way, as far as the torso modeling tutorial, I hope you'll all have a little patience with me as I'm very busy through the week with school, work, and marriage. I'll finish it as soon as I can though. I have a great F/X tutorial to do next. One I haven't seen anywhere else.

And then I promise to get to a clothing modeling tutorial T-Light.:D

T-Light
04-13-2004, 04:05 AM
"And then I promise to get to a clothing modeling tutorial T-Light. :D " - Giger.

:D

I have up until now, made clothing exclusively with MD in mind. Way too time consuming. (+ all the probs with it that have been mentioned above - roll on 8).

You're a decent fellow Mr Giger :)

hrgiger
04-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Hey guys, check this out. This is a animation/preview of what will be my next tutorial on F/X. Haven't added the particles/dust yet.

Bulletholes: http://giger3d.com/BulletHoles.avi

It's an XVID codec. 114kb. No sound yet either.

Can macs play xvid? If not, I'll render out a quicktime later...

Silkrooster
04-13-2004, 07:24 PM
When you post a video could you please also post a link for the codec as well. Thanks.

riki
04-13-2004, 07:45 PM
I can normally view dvix files but wasn't able to view this avi on my Mac.

hrgiger
04-13-2004, 08:14 PM
Sorry, I tried to render a divx but i got an error.

I'll render out a quicktime later .

siproductions
04-13-2004, 09:58 PM
I am looking forward to the tut. :)

hrgiger
04-14-2004, 02:58 AM
Sorry about that . Here's a quicktime of the preview....

Sorensen Codec. 1.26MB.

http://giger3d.com/BulletHoles.mov

riki
04-14-2004, 05:21 AM
aaah that's better, looks good. Just needs some sound FX and dust http://www.google.com/search?q=gun+sound+fx&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0

hrgiger
04-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by riki
aaah that's better, looks good. Just needs some sound FX and dust http://www.google.com/search?q=gun+sound+fx&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0

Yeah, it loses its effect without the sound or the particles....Speaking of which, what kind of cheap video editors are out there that I can add sound. I have an old copy of premiere but it doesn't support some of the files I use.

stefan
04-14-2004, 02:40 PM
hrgiger

nice, i dont can wait for the tutorial :)

respect

stefan
www.cg-feeling.de

siproductions
04-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Here is a free trial version for 30 days. The full version is about $100 http://www.ulead.com/vs/trial.htm

If you don't want that. Just type in "free video editor" in google and you will come up with quite a few. :)

hrgiger
04-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Hey siproductions, I downloaded that program but I don't think it's what I want. It seems a little too simple. Thanks for the link though! I'm going to keep looking.

If any of you havne't seen, I've added a few more pages to the torso tutorial in the last few days. I'm hoping to finiish it this weekend when I have more time. I also added links at the bottom of each pages for easier navigation between pages.

http://giger3d.com/male_torso_modeling.htm

siproductions
04-15-2004, 03:28 PM
No problem hrgiger. The Media studio pro version is much better, but more expensive. What price range\capabilities are you looking for?

jeremyhardin
04-15-2004, 04:53 PM
that torso modeling tutorial is amazing. I've been of the 'figure it out myself and end up knowing it better' school of thought with all my projects. but that tutorial is really informative. i wouldn't have thought to go about it that way. can't wait to see it finished.

hrgiger
04-15-2004, 05:03 PM
siproductions,

Well, just as cheap as possible really. I don't really want to pay more then $100 (if that, I'm a student you know) so I may have to be fairly limited in my choice of programs but I'll just keep looking.

Jeremy,

Thanks, glad you're enjoying the tutorial. It's very time consuming. It normally doesn't take me a week to model something this simple but when you have to take a screen grab, export it to photoshop, crop it, resize it, rename it, write up the steps in Frontpage, import the images, correct the color, style and size of the font after every modeling step, it takes a while.;) As I said, I should be finished with it this weekend (I hope).

hrgiger
04-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Well, I wanted to get the modeling tutorial done this weekend but I'm just not going to have enough time. Did add some stuff to it though and also added another tutorial on painting tilable image maps. Most of you probably already know how to do that but I want to make tutorials for everyone.

http://giger3d.com/Tutorial_Menu.htm

kevinmcpoland
04-19-2004, 04:43 AM
hrgiger,

Every now and then your topic will probably go quiet as people do stuff and focus on other things, but I just wanted to say thanks very much for your tutorials. I have always been a box modeler for characters up to now, but having stuck at your 'extender' tutorials I have been converted.

I appreciate others have done them, its' just for some reason I have found yours to hit the right notes with me, and I am even doing my new figures head using the extender method instead of the box way, and I like it!!

So please, if replies to your topic dry up, it's not that your efforts aren't appreciated, but more that people can only say thanks so many times and ways before it loses it's meaning...

Kevin McPoland
[email protected]

hrgiger
04-19-2004, 01:40 PM
kevincpoland,

Thanks for the kind words. I don't expect people to respond, I'm just trying to do some stuff for people that I would have liked to have had while I was learning a particular subject. Plus, I don't really have a lot up yet to comment on. I hope to do some more complicated tutorials but they're very time consuming.