PDA

View Full Version : Think Newtek is the only one with deadline problems??

MiniFireDragon
04-08-2004, 11:05 AM
http://www.samsoncables.com/catalog/prodDetail.cfm?Prod_ID=363

HP has been promising this since October, 2003.

petermark
04-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Looks like crap anyway. Buy a Ti-89!

MiniFireDragon
04-08-2004, 12:08 PM
The point of this calculator is the RPN feature and it's not a graphing calculator. There is not one TI calculator that isn't a graphing calculator that uses RPN.

And if you do find an RPN calc, please send me a link!!

We are tired of waiting for this product, but we need an RPN.

Architook
04-08-2004, 12:39 PM
These threads just state the obvious, that software development takes time and it's very hard to predict ahead of time how long development will take. The best solution is to totally ignore promises and rumors and make judgements on what's available NOW. You'll never be disappointed if you follow this simple rule. Of course following rumors and "sneak peaks" is exciting...

Developers can protect themselves from public dissapointment by simply not making announcements or promises until they're able to back them up. Worley Labs showed fprime for the first time just a couple weeks before shipping it. But even they promised a release on March 12, yet only the PC version shipped on that day and the Mac version slipped until March 15. So it's hard to keep release date promises. If developers try too hard, they'll release stuff that's rushed and that's worse than a delay!

Anyway, it's pointless to criticize since it doesn't help anyone. If you worry about delays, just remind yourself that each extra day gives them more time to work on features and eliminate bugs.

eggy
04-08-2004, 01:34 PM
These treads are just useless, you know the war between the Lightwave fanboys and the so called trolls always start in these treads.

There are a lot of companies who run a shabby business, everybody knows, itís not just newtek, but thatís no excuse either !!! ;)

tokyo drifter
04-08-2004, 02:36 PM
eggy, do you work for eggington productions? I thought at first that you were William Eggington, but I think he goes by the name wegg.

eggy
04-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by tokyo drifter
eggy, do you work for eggington productions? I thought at first that you were William Eggington, but I think he goes by the name wegg.

No I'm not William Eggington.
My "real" name is Egi Seipler, I'm a 3D, compositing and editing artist.

Am I" tooooooo" wrong ?:confused:

Meaty
04-08-2004, 03:03 PM
hp 48g has RPN - it is a graphing calc though

i just bought a ti-89 .... i wub it!

tokyo drifter
04-08-2004, 03:06 PM
No I'm not William Eggington. Okay, just curious.

And I agree about your previous statement, but I would stay away from calling people trolls or fanboys, you might as well be calling them some sort of racial slur. I don't think that people here have ulterior motives to harm or inflate Newtek or Lightwave. Although I'm new here so maybe there are such motivations, though I can't imagine what kind of personal gain they receive from such actions.

hrgiger
04-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I just bought a TI-89 for my math and engineering classes. I was appalled that even at Wal-mart it was $150. But then, when you consider how much I'm paying for school, it's a drop in the bucket.

eggy
04-08-2004, 03:24 PM
I wasnít calling anybody anything !!!
Iím just ďpissedĒ about the Lightwave delay, hey I need to explain the LW 8 delay to my supervisor every dayÖ.

I donít think there is one LW user who is happy about this delay, I donít think Iím a troll just because Iím pissed about this delay, I wasnít calling anybody a fanboy or anythingÖ.
I really use this tool, every damn day, and found to much limitations, I really need a new this new release etcÖ., we might get XSI instead of LW, there Is some kind of specialÖ.:(

tokyo drifter
04-08-2004, 03:34 PM
I donít think there is one LW user who is happy about this delay That goes without saying.
I donít think Iím a troll just because Iím pissed about this delay No one has called you such AFAIK.

eggy
04-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Iím just pissed about the LW 8 delay. thatís all !!!
I really like Ligtwave, hey LW is just a toll, I just need these new featuersÖ thatís all.

Elmar Moelzer
04-09-2004, 12:02 AM
What delay?
AFAIK, Newtek never announced a release- date, so there cant be a delay, can it?
CU
Elmar

badllarma
04-09-2004, 12:48 AM
REF Elmar

Issue 45 3d World pages 10 & 11

"Finally, Cross [Dr. Andrew, Senior Vice President of Engineering and Head of Development for Lightwave] confirmed that although shipping deadlines for previous versions of Lightwave have often slipped, he and his development team would hit their target of a pre-2004 release of the software"

no release DATE but pre 2004 by the main man no less
I know one guy who will not be speaking to the mags before he knows things are right in future DOH :rolleyes:

mkiii
04-09-2004, 04:28 AM
Ahh, yes, but that would only count as a deadline if you received the official word written in blood on a vellum scroll, hand delivered by Chuck in person.

Any other dates & deadlines, released, hinted at & printed in black & white can not be taken to mean a contractural agreement.

Honestly man! Don't you ever read the fine print?

Does a certain demolition notice displayed in a locked disused basement toilet with a sign on it saying ''beware of the leopard'' spring to mind?

:mad:

Qexit
04-09-2004, 05:33 AM
And if you do find an RPN calc, please send me a link!!

You're a bit late. I sold my Sinclair Scientific calculator on Ebay a few months back. That used RPN with a really quaint red LED display, circa 1976-77 :D

Does a certain demolition notice displayed in a locked disused basement toilet with a sign on it saying ''beware of the leopard'' spring to mind?

Been there...read that. Bought the albums, CDs, books, in fact everything EXCEPT the t-shirt :D Still trying to find an original release of the first double album of the series though.

dwburman
04-09-2004, 09:11 AM
I re-read the series last year. I came to the conclusion that it's better to not read them back to back :)

As for Newtek. They probably would've like to wait to make a LW8 announcement until it was close to shipping. The problem was the huge shift in programers and the legal issues delayed the development. If they didn't announce they were working on a product people would've assumed the situation worse than it was and bailed. Of course, this paragraph would have been more applicable 4 months ago. :(

I bought the upgrade with my own money for my own stuff. Eggy, you have my sympathy... not that it does you any good.

Qexit
04-09-2004, 09:22 AM
I re-read the series last year. I came to the conclusion that it's better to not read them back to back

Or better still, just listen to the 'definitive' original radio series :) A lot of people forget, or don't even know/realise, that the Radio Series came first. Each version of the story was different, so it can be fun to see what changed. One subtle change was the name of the author of the worst poetry in the Universe. In the original broadcast (and the CD version), the name used was a real person who wrote awful poetry. Instead of using that to his advantage, he took legal action forcing his name to be removed/changed in later versions. Just think how many copies of his poetry he could have sold if he'd gone to a publisher with proof that 'he was that poet' :D

With regard to the books, I liked the first three but get the impression the last two (especially the final one) were written more because Douglas Adams had been paid an advance to write them so had to put out something rather than because he wanted to write them or enjoyed doing so. Could be wrong :)