PDA

View Full Version : Troubles with LW&WinXP...help me!?

LAV
04-08-2004, 08:29 AM
Hi. I teach in a post secondary level school for building surveyors and land technicians.
In the 2003 I attended to a course in another city school, having successfully installed Lw7.5 on a Windows 98SE system. Today I have to install the package on Windows XP PRO to teach LW basics.

Problems: LW was installed on a Windows XP PRO machine without problems. Modeler and Layout open cleanly. But resizeing their windows causes a program crash. I obviously resized the program windows started in an 800x600 window mode, to fit the screen.
In every P4 WinXP Pro I tryed to install LW programs crashes in an identical way.
I am not an expert of WinXP (never used, to be honest) but I use LW in Win98SE, Win ME and Win 2000 without problem.

Can you help me? I have to start the lessons on April,16. I am in trouble!

Many thanks!

gjjackson
04-08-2004, 11:32 AM
I would look into the OpenGL drivers. There's a number of issues there that can cause problems. Also if you have DirectX installed that can cause issues, even though LW doesn't use DirectX. For example hardware anti-aliasing. etc.

LAV
04-08-2004, 04:57 PM
I'll control the drivers.
Maybe I used a wrong word: they don't crash. they are blocked (you know, when windows don't refresh and turn white).
Thanks

newagetitan
04-08-2004, 06:16 PM
I have WinXP Media Center Edition, which is essentially Pro with some extra goodies. I never have any problems. Well, there is the one weird problem with tool tips, but otherwise it is error free.
Most video problems tend to be Video Card/Video Drivers related.
I have a GeForce FX 5600. I can only advise you to get all of the latest drivers for your OS and Video Card.

LAV
04-09-2004, 04:19 PM
I found that graphic chipset is SiS 650 (8 Mb RAM). Have you ever had troubles with that? Looking in the site (www.sis.com) the chipset seems to be fully OpenGL. I didn't Know it before. Can you help me?

Many thanks (and have a fine weekend!)

gjjackson
04-09-2004, 10:14 PM
First I've heard there may be newer drivers that is required. I've also heard about some language issues that sounds similar to what you're describing. I would search for that, language problems. I don't recall any solution off hand for that.

LAV
04-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Sorry... what do you mean with 'language problems'? Are you laughting about my miserable english? :confused:

gjjackson
04-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by LAV
Sorry... what do you mean with 'language problems'? Are you laughting about my miserable english? :confused:

:) No No not at all. I just recall there being some problems using Windows with LW and different languages. The result seemed to be a whiteout of the text boxes. I can't remember much beyond that. I don't know if it was certain languages or what. I had thought it was OpenGL drivers, but not sure.

Also, I didn't even realize you weren't native US. So your english isn't so bad. Probably better than some of Our young.

BTW: I thank your country for all you're going through in helping the U.S. in these times.

LAV
04-10-2004, 03:12 PM
:) Many thanks!
PS: It's a need and a must, whatever one can think about the problem. Wish it could soon stop.

sbowling
04-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Make sure you have visual themes turned off. This is known to cause problewms with other 3d programs.

Barred
04-11-2004, 06:17 AM
If I remember correctly there use tobe problems with Icon or text sizes being set in Windows that caused white out of the boxes in LW.

I would check the icon settings as I think you needed medium (default) settings for the buttons to work correctly.

Sorry I cant be of more help but this was a few years back and my memory needs upgrading.

BeeVee
04-11-2004, 07:20 AM
To LAV,

Like I said in my email, I reckon that you need to update the graphics card drivers. I have found no information on the SiS website regarding OpenGL - the pages state that the SIS 650 chipset has a high-powered 2D/3D engine, but nowhere mentions OGL - so it may be that older versions of Windows supported a kind of software implementation. I would try to update this internal video cards with the latest drivers to see if that does any good and then if you are working at a school that teaches architectural modelling, I would get the school's IT department to see that you really do require a decent graphics card in these machines to be able to teach - 8MB video RAM will run out incredibly quickly, even if you are dealing with untextured models.

B

Aegis
04-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Installing 7.5c (assuming you haven't already) should fix the "white text box" issue - 7.5c also has an "About OpenGL" info dialog that might shed some light on the problem - you'll need to assign it a keyboard shortcut though:

LAV
04-12-2004, 06:19 AM
You're all precious (not really 'my preciouuu¨ssss', of course...).
Tomorrow school reopens. I'll try all your suggestions.
PS: Of course sis 8Mb is a poor card (about ram, at least). But they usually run autocad for beginners.
I'll tell you the exits.

LAV
04-13-2004, 04:19 AM
Ok. It wasn't an OpenGL question and not a DirectX. I downloaded latest graphic card drivers and I installed LW7.5c but I needed to reduce resolutions in a weird manner: 1024x768, 16 bit in first PC, 800x600 32 bit on most others, 800x600 16 bit in a couple (!?). I think it is a mere memory question, (every card has the same amount), I often see a message like "Can't create a new surface. Out of video memory". But why 800x600x16 bit crashes LW(Layout) while Modeler works fine? And why do you need to convert screen in 32 bit? (I question just to improve my know about LW world).
Ok! Thanks.