PDA

View Full Version : Loading other apps on VT[3] system

smclaugh5
04-07-2004, 08:14 AM
I've heard that MS Office should never be installed on a Toaster system. Anyone else have this issue?

Steve McLaughlin

Paul Lara
04-08-2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by smclaugh5
I've heard that MS Office should never be installed on a Toaster system.

You've not heard that from NewTek.
My VT machine is also my everything-else machine, which means that Office 2000, along with a whole host of other programs are installed on it, without any difficulty.

The only thing I'd suggest is to remove the Office applications in your startup folder, as they're just designed to pre-load parts of Office for quicker startup, but then it unnecessarily takes up memory when it doesn't need to.

bradl
04-08-2004, 07:35 AM
I have had MS office on every VT computer, OS and build I have had. In fact I leave Outlook running almost all the time.

Kurt_Henning
04-08-2004, 07:56 AM
I'll second that emotion

I have used MS office with t2 and all revisions of t3 thus far.

So, whoever is spreading this notion has done something to mess up their system, but it's not MS office.

Perhaps you are referring to Packet writing software?

Ivan
04-08-2004, 07:58 AM
I don't know if I'd go so far as having Outlook on all the time but I have Office on my VT machine with no ill effects. I will agree with Paul about not using the Office Tool Bar or anything else Office wants to put in the start menu. The Tool Bar has been known to cause problems.

Ivan

smclaugh5
04-08-2004, 08:06 AM
Paul, et al,

Thanks for the advice. I wish I could document the source of my information, but I can't remember. I still don't think I'll try anything which is not absolutely necessary for now...

Steve McLaughlin

ted
04-08-2004, 03:54 PM
I guess I'm the exception.:(
While I do have IE, PhotoShop and a few other items loaded on my VT system, I've always felt it's better to keep your money making system as clean as possible and use it exclusively for production.
I have all my office stuff on another computer networked to the VT systems.

But I've always been of the belief that you don't use your sports car for hauling hay, nor do you use your truck for racing.
OK bad analogy, but you get the picture. :p

Programs these days are just too "ALL CONTROLLING" for my taste.