PDA

View Full Version : Are you excited about v8 ?

gregsduncan
04-08-2004, 04:56 AM
Following a thread on the onevideo.net forums, here are some 'What you really dont need to happen to LW8 now', an idea started by Jaffro (Credit to Jaffro who's ideas are marked with *J*)

* You break the CDs when they arrive through your letter box by accidentally treading on them while doing the "excitement dance" *J*

* Postman is a Lightwaver and steals the CDs.

* Postman gets run over by a big truck. Fresh, completely fragmented CDs arrive by a replacement postman, who apologises for the breakage but walks off laughing.

* You're not in when postman delivers CDs so leaves them with a neighbour who goes on a holiday cruise for two months that same afternoon.

* CDs scratched / don't work.

* CDs work perfectly well but computer blows up shortly after loading v8.

* Power cut on day of CD arrival for an unknown amount of time.

* Everyone gets 8 but too many bugs so have to wait for 8.1 release.

* Release date put back as demo CD arrives in june! *J*

* Intergrated help written in ancient Egyptian. Egypt has a 'tourist' boom. *J*

* CD gets jammed in drive. Trying to repair computer with a few kicks and USB dongle snaps off! All you have is 7.5 Discovery Edition. *J*

* Postman knows exactly how important his delivery is and taunts you before handing it over for a price. *J*

* You got the UV Edit pro email, and the delivery address confirmation without a problem but they still send it to the wrong address! *J*

* LW8 arrives and installs perfectly but doesn't open 7.5 models or scenes! *J*

* 3DStudioMax is sent by mistake. *J*

* PC users find out v8 has only been developed for the Mac!

What would your 'What you really dont need to happen to LW8 now' list be?

mkiii
04-08-2004, 05:56 AM
It's hard to be excited for such a prolonged period. I'm just biding my time.

Tony3d
04-08-2004, 06:20 AM
I have lost all interest in Lightwave and Newtek! That's sad because I have been a user since version 5. [comment removed by moderators]. I believe that Newtek has handeled this upgrade horribly. There complete lack of communication is inexcusable. This could very well be my last upgrade with Newtek!

guardonduty
04-08-2004, 08:09 AM
You get so excited when V8 arrives you forget to get gas on your way back from the Post office and run out of gas 3 miles from the office in the middle of no where. You then lock the car up and trug to the nearest gas station for a gallon of gas and upon you return discovered you've locked your keys in the car. You then trug back to the gas station to call a lock smith but when he gets there he discovers your car is tamper proof and nothing he tries works. You finally get the right lock smith with the right equipment but by now your car has been in the hot sun for over 6 hrs and your V8 CD is ruined. You finnaly get bck to the office to call newtek for a replacement CD and get a busy signal.

UnCommonGrafx
04-08-2004, 09:20 AM
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

snip snip snip snip snip

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Silkrooster
04-08-2004, 09:37 PM
gregsduncan - LOL :D

guardonduty
04-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Postman shows up with V8 cd and questions me profusely verifying my identification. He's finally satisified and pulls off his mask and says "IRS.... weve been looking for you for a long time".

phil lawson
04-09-2004, 10:25 AM
1. Lightwave [8] CD contains a number of viri that destroy your system leaving only a laughing Proton image.

2. With the number of times I've registered with Newtek Eruope, they send 9 copies of Lightwave [8] along with the bill for the other 8 copies.

3. Lightwave [8] finishes installing only to present you with a message stating that the software wont work until 8.0b comes out in a months time.

4. Comes with another dongle and you need to use the lightwave 7 dongle as well...only problem is, you have no more usb's.

5. The brown paper bag that Newtek send it in gets soaked in the posties bag and the CD's ruined.

6. By the time Lightwave [8] comes out and you have it in your hands...Newtek have just stated that Lightwave [9] will be out in another couple of months for £499 upgrade limited offer.

Only joking Newtek :)

Jaffro
04-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Sorry i aint been around much, heavy workload hit hard! Thort i'd add a few more in here as well as the ones i done on onevideo :)

- Your gf/wife insists that she's more important than LW8 and makes you goto her parents house the day the cd arrives.

- You never believed it would arrive and start using the CD as a fancy coaster for your tea.

- Your local reseller goes under and cant afford to send the CD's on. Instead they sell it elsewhere to recover their business under a new name.

- A monkey swings by and steels it.

- Your sent 4 CD's worth of content but no program CD.

gregsduncan
04-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Good ones guardonduty - don't like the sound of your postmen! Are you expecting a visit from the friendly tax people?

Phil - thanx for posting those here. I especially like 6 & 1.

With #3, maybe the install doesn't finish properly. Newtek posts a message to say that "Sorry - V8 works perfectly - no bugs at all. Unfortunately due to the demand from users to launch NOW, we didn't realise there are a number of bugs in the installation program" :p

gregsduncan
04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi Jaffro - hope you managed to get some work done the other day after thinking up so many of the "What I don't want to happen to V8" things above.

You would certainly know things were against you getting V8 if a monkey really did swing by and steal it in London!

Maybe another would be that the Lightwave install has changed and you have to enter a 50 digit code as well as the dongle to even run it. However, the code doesn't come with the CDs - it is sent to you by e-mail from Newtek.... And they're swamped with sending out CDs for the next month....
:(

gregsduncan
04-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Or you've had a VERY hard day at the office and you arrive home in a bit of a mood. You're feeling a little better coz you've read in the Newtek forum that some members have got their CDs. However, you are a bit hot and bothered so you get home and swing the front door open quite hard. In doing so the packet with your 4 LW CDs in it gets crushed between the corner of the door and the wall, and quickly receive a displacement map where they won't work in your CD drive. :(

guardonduty
04-09-2004, 05:31 PM
The LW8 CDs arrive in perfect form and you feel so relieved you drop the top on your convertible to take a little celebration drive. You carefully place the CDs next to you on the passenger seat. You begin this unbelivable drive and BAMP you catch glimpse of this girl you have been dying to talk to. You make eye contact and she says "can I join you".... Oh man you are now in heaven. But wait,..... the CDs.....can't forget the CDs....so you carefully place them in between the seats just slightly visible. You are coasting down the street...laid back...my mind on my CDs my CDs on my mind. Then out of the blue, she says..."can I slide over closer to you"......"Ohhhh baby, absolutely" Then you hear this life changing "snap"

Hurben
04-10-2004, 02:39 AM
It turns up in the bottom of your popcorn covered in butter.. meanwhile your member is jammed in the CD drive.

Aegis
04-10-2004, 06:16 AM
You miss the mailman ('cause he didn't knock) and have to go to the depot the next day to pick up the package (which happens to be miles away). You get there and have to wait in a long queue to get your package. You finally get out of there and anxiously rip open the package only to find NewTek has sent you a VT[3] upgrade CD instead of LightWave 8...

This actually happened to me btw although I was waiting for the WinXP version of VT[2] (couldn't use the 'Toaster 'til I got it) and I got Mac 7.5 instead :confused:

gregsduncan
04-10-2004, 06:25 AM
You must have been happy Aegis. Did it take long to get the real CDs?

Anyway, this is the ONLY one of these posts (so far) that I want to turn out to become true (for me at least ;))

Now let's say Newtek sent you the Mac version and you have a PC or vice versa. I wonder if anyone here would go out and buy a new computer instead of waiting for the correct CDs to be sent to them?

Aegis
04-10-2004, 06:48 AM
gregsduncan: The package had a NewTek invoice inside for some other dude who'd requested the 7.5 CD so we sorted it out between us (hey, if you're reading this by the way, thanks for the speedy delivery!).

Hmm... I've been considering an Apple notebook - maybe now's the time to pick one up eh? Just in case...

gregsduncan
04-10-2004, 06:54 AM
Go for it - just in case you get the Mac version. I'm sticking with my PC at the moment.

However, if they send me the Mac version, maybe we can come to an arrangement where I can come over to Pinewood and use it - while you're sleeping of course - I know all the time you're awake you'll be trying out V8. Just a temporary arrangement of course until my PC version arrives. :p

Thinking about it now though you'd see how desperate I was just to try out the new V8 features and charge me top dollar for Mac hire - yeah, forget it, the deal's off ;)

Aegis
04-10-2004, 07:08 AM
I can come over to Pinewood and use it - while you're sleeping of course

Well I don't actually LIVE at Pinewood Studios... although...

(works out how much time he's spent here since he started on Captain Scarlet...)

Uh... I guess I do...

But I don't sleep here... often...

Actually I don't sleep that much... :eek:

Dennik
04-10-2004, 09:10 AM
1) I turn on the pc to make the install and i get a hard disk failure.

2) The postman is short in cash so instead of delivering me LW8, he pulls out a gun and robs me instead.

3) The airplane delivering the package gets hit by a lightning and crashes.

4) The postman finds out that he is about to get fired later this week, so he starts playing football with my package on the way to my home.

5) I receive LW8 but NT offices catch fire and they aren't able to send me a licence for the next 3 months.

These are just for fun anyway. This year i found what vaporware, realy means, so i don't care anymore...

Andyjaggy
04-10-2004, 11:15 AM
You get home from work, there on your doorstep is a cradboard box badly damaged, you get a sickening feeling in your stomach as you know exactly what is in it, you madly rip open the box to find that your LW 8 CD's are still intact, you rush over to your computer, shove the thing in the drive and start installing. Everything goes smoothly until you restart the computer, upon restartation windows gives you a fatal error saying that an essential DLL file is missing and your computer has a virus called LW8HAHA, after fussing all day in an act of final depseration you format the hard drive and resinstall windows and LW, now everything appears to be working fine until you go to run lightwave, turns out LW8 won't work with your video card. You call up Customer Service to find out it is a known problem and will be fixed with 8.1, you are now faced with the choice of forking out a couple hundred for a new card or waiting patiently for 8.1 which will be shipping shortly :) Unfortunately when you upgraded to 8 a year ago you exausted all your funds and ruined your credit, you have been trying to fix it all for several months and are just plain out of money. Guess you'll just have to wait till 8.1 ships.

gregsduncan
04-10-2004, 11:34 AM
You're at work.

You get a phone call from home - "YOUR LIGHTWAVE CDs HAVE ARRIVED".

Time passes slowly at work.

You leave work VERY excited.

Everyone stares at you as you start to leap in the air and dance in the street and while waiting for the train. You think to yourself "If only they were Lightwavers too. Then they'd understand."

You're near home now.

You run faster than you've ever run before.

Your house is in sight. You run even faster. You can't wait to do the install.

Suddenly, you trip. You fall. BAM.

It's a bad fall. Your skelegons are a little misaligned. Some of the parent-child relationships of your bones have been broken.

Soon, you hear sirens.

You wake up in a hospital bed. You've been patched up with plaster - not even subpatched.

Tears run down your face. You scream "NOOOOOO". Again people don't understand your distress.

You won't be using Lightwave any time soon.

Hurben
04-11-2004, 12:16 AM
Hahahahah!! omg! This is so sad..

Hulk
04-11-2004, 01:53 AM
after installing V8 it turns into Maya

Hurben
04-11-2004, 02:06 AM
After opening the box, the CD's mutate into a trans-gender alter-ego of Chuck, who decides to punish you for not being stupidly patient and giving the Newtek Lightwave development team a break..
However, his idea of punishment crosses all sexual boundaries and you didn't expect to enjoy it to this degree.. the lashings, the seering , burning hot pain..
You realise you no longer need lightwave to satisfy your every essence as a human..

Elemental233
04-11-2004, 04:35 AM
i did not have time to read the whole thread, and well im kinda at a point where, i think some people have gone mad, insain, crazy, i read that some people are giveing up on newtek and lightwave all together because they havent released LW8 yet, :confused: WHY?, dosent Lw 7.5 still work cant you still use all the functions. im still useing LW 7.5 it hasent stoped me from blowing up alian invaders, makeing cool and imaginative thing-a-ma-bobs just because Lw 8 has not been released, would you want to buy a brand new car and find out that there is a major problem with it (like if yuh start it blows up) please fill me in on this. Its three o clock and im beat. night all.:( :confused:

Elemental233
04-11-2004, 04:42 AM
after sticking Lw8 cd in to the cd drive, theres a power surge and your computer burst into flames and melts into a pile of moltent goo, you trie to rescue the cd but no luck, your serverly burned and the docters amputate both your hands. and your left big toe HA!

phil lawson
04-11-2004, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Elemental233
i did not have time to read the whole thread, and well im kinda at a point where, i think some people have gone mad, insain, crazy, i read that some people are giveing up on newtek and lightwave all together because they havent released LW8 yet, :confused: WHY?, dosent Lw 7.5 still work cant you still use all the functions. im still useing LW 7.5 it hasent stoped me from blowing up alian invaders, makeing cool and imaginative thing-a-ma-bobs just because Lw 8 has not been released, would you want to buy a brand new car and find out that there is a major problem with it (like if yuh start it blows up) please fill me in on this. Its three o clock and im beat. night all.:( :confused:

Most of the people that seem mad with Newtek, are so because they have to keep explaining to their boss that 'its not out yet' and 'we dont know the offical release date'. Like you said though, 7.5 works with me and I'll just be excited when the [8] release date is announced.

Cheers.

Elemental233
04-11-2004, 04:58 AM
Hmm ,, i c. coo..

gregsduncan
04-11-2004, 04:58 AM
Woooo... you gotta be a serious LW addict to try to rescue burning LW CDs so that BOTH of your hands AND your big left toe have to be amputated.

Well, Newtek sends your CDs which look OK. You run the install. Now (for me anyway), the 7.5 install cleared everything in the Lightwave folder - scenes, objects, everything! Well, the V8 install not only does this but formats your whole drive AND flashes your BIOS so that when you restart all the computer does is display a message "Lightwave V8 - WE'LL TEACH YOU TO BE PATIENT! With love from Newtek HA HA HA HA HA", and it plays audio of the whole Newtek team laughing at you.

Barred
04-11-2004, 06:11 AM
I can see Aegis installing the disks from NT and then this happening:-

2 Green glowing doughnuts float across his screen.
"This is the voice of the Mysterons.

To continue our war of terror we have taken over NewTek.
The W8 is not over..............."

gregsduncan
04-11-2004, 06:22 AM
Barred - I see us hearing this news one day SOON.....

"The Mysterons have STOLEN THE SOURCE CODE to Lightwave 8."

They will not return it until Aegis deletes all the work he has been doing on Captain Scarlet".

Aegis, will you do it?

Cutty
04-11-2004, 08:49 AM
You immediately rip the CD from the postman’s hands and wipe his A**, just because you can. You then eagerly install 8.0, reboot your system just to be safe, double click the LW icon, and it says “Welcome, you’ve got mail, AOL 8.0 Optimized Not Responding”.

guardonduty
04-11-2004, 11:12 AM
You install LW8 reboot your PC and get a message saying too much memory please lower your memeory to 64 megs. The request sounds strange but you do so and reboot again. LW8 runs great but you can't run any other program.

Aegis
04-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Barred: LOL! Don't tempt fate - the Mysterons cause me enough problems as it is!

gregsduncan: Funnily enough, someone sent me a PM accusing the Mac 7.5c update of being a Mysteron plot coded by Captain Black...

Rest assured that Spectrum won't bow to the demands of these Martian villains...

S.I.G. ;)

Tiger
04-12-2004, 07:24 AM
You come home and happily insert the new LW8 cd. After installing LW8, a message comes up saying:

"Dear user-Thank you for trying out Lightwave 8 Demo version.
To get the full version, please visit www.newtek.com
Now only $595, (Mac $795)."

OMG-:D

/Tiger.

Ade
04-12-2004, 09:10 AM
* You hastily open your LW8 package ripping the paper apart only to notice a white powdery substance instead..

Elemental233
04-12-2004, 12:44 PM
So has any one heard of any release date for the Lw8 at all. what about any guesses, any one? NEWTEK tell US!

gregsduncan
04-12-2004, 01:24 PM
No. I'm sure that if a user gets to know the date, we on this forum will be the first to know. If it's up to Newtek to tell us we'll be the last to know. Even my sister's dog will hear about it before us :rolleyes:

I think the summary of dates at the moment is :

Q4 2003 - Long gone. Maximum 195 days from the 1st day of that quarter, and 103 days from the last day of Q4 2003. Or 4676 / 2468 hours :) Not that I've been counting.

22nd March - D-Storm Shanghai said v8 would be released on this date. It didn't happen!

Two new plug-ins released (one free for qualifying customers) to keep us quiet for a bit!

15 April - D-Storm again "We hold launch party". To be seen - 3 days to go but .......

NAB - next week - was hopeful but probably unlikely because ..........

In this thread (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20840&perpage=15&pagenumber=2) Ben from Newtek Europe says the "first public showing" of 8 will be at the 3D festival in Europe on 4th May. However, he says that doesn't mean it won't be out before then or that it will be released on 4th May - just the 1st public showing

Bottom line : Who knows? Not worth speculating any more - I think we've all worn out and fed up. We've been speculating since October! Now we're into the 2nd quarter of 2004, and still no news from the only people who know - Newtek.

I think the next step is that we'll all be asked to confirm our address again so that Newtek can be reaaalllly sure they have our correct address. :confused:

guardonduty
04-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Your punctual mailman gets the "squirts" and has to stop at Mcdonalds to take a dump. He soon discovers there's no tissue paper and uses an alternative method......don't worry those brown streaks are just part of the packagings.

gregsduncan
04-12-2004, 02:03 PM
"squirts", "take a dump". What does this mean? I'm sure most of the LWers here won't understand these terms. Can you explain them? Errrm on second thoughts, DON'T !!!!

And those brown streaks...... when it leaves Newtek, the packaging is WHITE ALL OVER :( I'm glad there's no McDonalds on the route between my house and the mail sorting office.....

Sorry - forgot to mention a date in my list above :

1 Jan 2005 : If I haven't got LW8 by this date .........................

gregsduncan
04-12-2004, 02:07 PM
I hope nobody's been holding their breath since Q4 2003... If you are and you're reading this, please B R E A T H E - much longer and you may not survive to hear the beautiful sound from the thud of those CDs dropping through your letter box :)

Jaffro
04-12-2004, 05:41 PM
gregsduncan, i think beevee was refering to the first european showing. I also think that we need to understand that the people at nt are human and not every word that they say should be read as gospel, and less reading between the lines they're not trying to cover anything up just dont want to get people's hopes up for something that they can't be 100% certian of (probably because of all the hastle it has caused them so far).

I agree, BREATH if you'r still holding your breath!! :eek:

I could really do with a mcd's, but not brown streaks on my lw8 packaging!! :S

gregsduncan
04-13-2004, 01:31 AM
Hi Jaffro - I know, I know and I'm sure that when 8 appears it will be a very good product which doesn't need an immediate update to get it working properly.

But could you explain, or maybe someone in marketing, what the secrecy around launch dates is with companies (not just software companies)? Does it make a company look bad to give information (to it's existing customer base at least) about it's progress? For example with LW8, would people think them worse if they came to the forum today and said "We're not giving a shipping date, but we're just finishing off the manual at the moment. After that we need to get duplication/printing/packaging done and it's off to you guys...."? I know at the moment ppl wouldn't be over the moon coz of all the other dates but it would be news!

A lesson from Star Trek would be applicable here : Always tell the captain it's gonna take longer to fix the warp core that it actually will. That way you look better when it's fixed early.....

Anyway, here's looking to the "launch party" on the 15th ;)

pixelinfected
04-13-2004, 07:08 AM
i hope early,

Maya 6 is going to exit, beta is over 4,
XSI 4 is imminent, probably for NAB or Siggraph,
Cinema4D 9 idem, and it's a new and powerful incarnation,

then NewTek we attend to be amazed...

from lw release, naturally....

doug_wilkinson
04-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by pixelinfected

XSI 4 is imminent, probably for NAB or Siggraph,

I spoke to someone at avid, they said that the next version of xsi is out at NAB for sure. Still, i don't really see XSI as a competitor to Lightwave though...XSI is just like ... 3 to 6 times the cost!!!

plus they both have similar interface....well, at least for colors!

d

pixelinfected
04-13-2004, 04:21 PM
recently avid did an offert at 1995$ for xsi.
not more than one full lw license...
but more powerful and stable, i work with some people which use it every day, and they not find large bug list like i find with lw.

and evolution of XSI is very different from lw.
real it's cost is different, but a professional user must see all option in the market.

maya until few years ago, cost a lot, but now is very near to lw cost, but is more more far from lw power.
i try it, i use it, in studio we have bought some maya licenses, to test in our last production, where lw do a lot of problems for its old and numerous bug, on render and animation module.

Jaffro
04-13-2004, 04:25 PM
I think the problem is that when you start releasing information people expect weekly updates pratically, or at least they start to expect things. Sometimes its just not in someone's job to write a press release which says what's going on in the development of a product and sometimes you dont want your competition to know everything thats happening.

Personally if i was in charge of lw8 stuff i'd keep the video's rolling and just keep saying that it will be released as soon as possible. The problem is different people expect different things and have different understandings about how things should be done, therefore its hard to say 'yes we will release on the xxth' because if you release a day or two after people will ask why, and not always like the 'things took longer than expected' answer.

KillWinter
04-15-2004, 12:17 AM
1. The 4 disks they send all say 'Disk 4' on the label . . .

2. The install fries your dongle

3. They only send disk 2-4 and forget disk 1

gregsduncan
04-15-2004, 02:38 AM
We find out that the latest e-mail (supposedly) saying LW8 is ready to ship, is actually from a forum user who wanted to give people here a sense of hope and hacked into the NT server and stole the mailing list.

If this happens to be true and we all get 8 soon, thank you all for your input to this thread, and HAPPY 8ing :D

Barred
04-15-2004, 02:51 AM
You find all four disks snapped in two with a note...
Here is your LW..8.
Which turns into LW H8

LAV
04-15-2004, 05:01 AM
sorry, but I don't care when they'll ship me LW8 (a week or a mounth). Today with 7.5 I modelled a fairly subdivided plane, a stretched ball, then I throwed the ball-pebble over the plane-water and I've got seven bounces! (SEVEN!) ... with the related ripples!
Ok, you say,... the water was flat enought!

God bless LW.

Barred
04-15-2004, 05:27 AM
I care that LW8 is as bug free as is possible as apposed to when it is shipped. I have been using LW since ver4 and have never regretted it. Even though I am priamarilly a modeler and hardly use 90% of layout I am still looking forward to LW8 and have been since I ordered back in July last year.

Just getting into the spirit of the "What if..." nature of this thread.

guardonduty
04-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Mailman gets run over by oldlady trying to get her taxes in before the 15th.

Substitute Higschool student takes his place for the mailrun and steals your Lw8 CD.

Substitute Highschools student then registers your software in his name. You try to call Newtek but the phones are busy.

Exception
04-17-2004, 06:17 PM
You start up lw[8] for the first time and when you load a model it quits with an error in gcore3.dll, and when you try again it quits with a lwtools.dll error. In frustration you load another model but then lw[8] crashes when you open the image editor, unhandled exception in lightwav.exe. You throw everything out of the window and walk back to paper and pen, and remember that those never EVER gave you exception errors.

God, lw[8] better be more stable then 7.5.