PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Who bought Lightwave for what platform?

Ade
04-08-2004, 03:22 AM
Simple poll, just interested to see how the special deals went in attracting new users or users to other platforms.

T-Light
04-08-2004, 06:24 AM
Don't suppose it's really a fair comparison though Ade, The Mac offers only been going a month or so :)

ps If I had a Mac and a PC and the offers were both on when I bought the upgrade it would have been a difficult decision. Probably would have still gone with DFX though. (Needed a compositor)

Ade
04-08-2004, 09:05 AM
LOL I didnt do the vote right, it wasnt meant to expire, just grow as ppl bought lw8.

Its not to see who wins or anything, its just out of curiosity to see how many will be waiting for lw8.

lede
04-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Yeah but there are a lot of users out there that don't visit the forums. Look what happened to Worley when he release F-Prime, he was backed up for weeks after the release and this was just from the users who we're watching.

T-Light I'm with you. If I had to make a choice between the Mac or PC bonus material it would of been a tough choice. As it was I order my copy before that deal. I'm still happy with getting DFX+ it is an awsom packadge and some day I'll get a chance to play around with it:)

-Lee

Beamtracer
04-09-2004, 01:38 AM
Most Mac users stick to the Mac forum and don't come to this one.

phil lawson
04-09-2004, 02:26 AM
PC here...but I've been wanting to get a mac just to play around with them...my fried has one, and would never go PC.
At the same time, PC runs all my applications without problem. MMmm I guess cost will be the desiding factor. :)

Cheers.

js33
04-09-2004, 03:34 AM
Of course new versions come with a USB dongle and both PC and Mac versions so except for the extras you get you aren't really buying for one platform or the other.

Cheers,
JS

hrgiger
04-09-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer

Who are you? The nielsen LW forum family? How do you know that? How do you know that most pc users don't stick to the pc forum?
You are really in denial Beam. All you have to do is look at the market share of pc/mac users and you'll see the numbers reflected in this poll.
And if a lot of Mac users only stick to the Mac forums....well, they really need to get out more.:) What, are they too good for this community?

cresshead
04-09-2004, 04:29 AM
in the poll there should be a "both" choice as well...

i bought lw for pc but i'm looking at a purchase of a mac for lightwave...so i'd like to vote "both" please!

steve g

cresshead
04-09-2004, 05:01 AM
in the poll there should be a "both" choice as well...

i bought lw for pc but i'm looking at a purchase of a mac for lightwave...so i'd like to vote "both" please!

steve g

Ade
04-09-2004, 05:27 AM
Beam has a valid point with the newbies...
I rememebr hen the ATI bug fix was posted it appeared in the general forum and yet not many mac ppl saw it..Reposted in mac forums and everyone jumped on it.

I remeeber 2 years ago Newtek issued a statement saying they sold more on macs than on pc's..

I guess when macs speeds dropped many ppl went pc..Understandable. g5 will allow more mac users to remain confident with macs for many new reasons.. Even attract pc users with spare dosh.

mattclary
04-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Well, at the leat the Mac is becoming mainstream.

http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1081455881.html

anieves
04-09-2004, 10:38 AM
hr, don't be so harsh towards beam. I beleive that his assesment is pretty accurate. I used to be a LW Mac user until May last year and until then I used to hang over at the Mac forum, then I check this forum out and let me tell you last year this forum was a whole lot more fun.

hrgiger
04-09-2004, 11:22 AM
anieves,

My intention wasn't to be harsh to Beam, just to his stance that most mac users don't visit the community section. He says this all the time but I don't see any numbers. I just hate when people tell you something like it's fact but then we don't see any numbers. He'll tell you how when Seven came out there were more mac buyers for the first time but then discredit the sheer number of the already exisiting pc user base. I don't care frankly, it doesn't have to be a mac/pc thing, he could have said that his dog can talk, but I'll need to see that one before I believe it.

hrgiger
04-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by mattclary
Well, at the leat the Mac is becoming mainstream.

http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1081455881.html

That's funny Matt. Especially since Beam is always talking about how Macs don't get viruses...

mattclary
04-09-2004, 11:33 AM
;)

anieves
04-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
anieves,

My intention wasn't to be harsh to Beam, just to his stance that most mac users don't visit the community section. He says this all the time but I don't see any numbers. I just hate when people tell you something like it's fact but then we don't see any numbers. He'll tell you how when Seven came out there were more mac buyers for the first time but then discredit the sheer number of the already exisiting pc user base. I don't care frankly, it doesn't have to be a mac/pc thing, he could have said that his dog can talk, but I'll need to see that one before I believe it.

hr, it was the general tone of the post that made me jump in you came across very harshly, you don't really have to see numbers, it can be determined by looking who is where... if the ppl. that hang there don't come here you would be able to come up with an estimated percentage. Now we can spend some time playing big brother but that would be a waste of time. On the other hand I see your point; I had a Creative Director a few years back that rationalized things by saying something like "I bet that 90% of ppl would agree with me":D

I would also agree that there used to be very little risk of contamination with a Mac, in 10 yrs using one I got a worm once! But now that OSX is Unix based things will not be the same as Mattclary link shows.

robewil
04-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Most Mac users stick to the Mac forum and don't come to this one. Well, it's their fault for choosing to be separatists as there is obviously informative and useful content in the other Lightwave forums.

Beamtracer
04-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by robewil
Well, it's there fault for choosing to be separatists as there is obviously informative and useful content in the other Lightwav forums. The reason so many people who post on the Mac forum don't come to this forum is that you get hammered by the Microsoft Windows lovers. I spend more time in the Mac forum than I do here.

hrgiger, that virus story you posted a few messages back refers to "the first trojan horse virus discovered on a Mac", or something like that. Someone in a lab wrote the virus as a proof of concept, to show that it could be done. The virus is not on the loose.

hrgiger, because you brought up the subject of security, I refer you to read this item as to why Apple's OS X is inherently more secure than Microsoft Windows:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/12/16/windowsstyle_security_hell_stalks_mac/
To sum it up, operating systems based on UNIX, such as Mac OS X, Linux, Sun Solaris, SGI Irix and others are inherently more secure than Microsoft Windows.

I think Microsoft knows that Windows is not secure, and this is the reason they are taking so long to release "Longhorn", the next major Windows update (due in the year 2007) which is supposed to rectify some of the security woes.

robewil
04-09-2004, 03:25 PM
The reason so many people who post on the Mac forum don't come to this forum is that you get hammered by the Microsoft Windows lovers. That's really unfair, Beam. I almost never see that sort of thing going on. It may occur in threads like this one where the platforms are discussed. But if someone asks a question about LIGHTWAVE (not which platform is best) in the general support section, the issue of platform is probably not going to come up.

hrgiger
04-09-2004, 03:53 PM
hrgiger, because you brought up the subject of security, I refer you to read this item as to why Apple's OS X is inherently more secure than Microsoft Windows:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/12/16/windowsstyle_security_hell_stalks_mac/
To sum it up, operating systems based on UNIX, such as Mac OS X, Linux, Sun Solaris, SGI Irix and others are inherently more secure than Microsoft Windows.

I think Microsoft knows that Windows is not secure, and this is the reason they are taking so long to release "Longhorn", the next major Windows update (due in the year 2007) which is supposed to rectify some of the security woes.

Actually Beam, I didn't say a thing about Macs or their security, it was Matt Clary who posted the story about the security of Macintosh. I just thought it was amusing because you're always spouting off about the perfection of Macinstosh.
I personally don't care about the issue of security and Windows that much. I accept it for what it is for it's strengths and weaknesses. Personally for me, the strengths are more then the weaknesses. No system is perfect and that includes macs.

Qexit
04-09-2004, 04:08 PM
The reason so many people who post on the Mac forum don't come to this forum is that you get hammered by the Microsoft Windows lovers. I spend more time in the Mac forum than I do here.

Just because people don't post in the other forums doesn't mean that they don't visit the other forums. Anyone who sticks to only reading the content of one platform specific forum is 'cutting off their nose to spite their face'. Hints and tips about Lightwave usage apply equally well across both the current supported platforms, by which I'm refering to how to model, how to animate, how to apply textures, how to light a scene. It doesn't matter if you are on a Mac or a PC, it's the same piece of software with the same set of tools. Sheesh !! :(

Ade
04-09-2004, 07:42 PM
HR thats why i posted this in community..
get everyone comfortable being 'wavers.. and accepting both platforms.

Also that new virus out is an old transmuted os9 virus that affects classic users.. As soon as classic is discontinued it wont be a problem.

U know i would be suprised if the mac virus makers made it to push sales of their wares..

About 60% make users dont use a virus checker.
Im one.

pixym
04-09-2004, 07:51 PM
For LW, I have switched from mac to PC, and I am much more satisfied with athe amount of Plug-ins and faster OGL display... with a simple ATI Radeon 9700 Pro on a Dell P4 3.06 ghz with 1,5Gb of Ram... :)

I do not want to use LW on my mac dual G5 2 ghz or G4 dual 867Mhz anymore... :mad:

Ade
04-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Pix has a valid point, I have several times posted about the state of OGL on macs and its rubbish compared to even a 1 ghs pc.

I love macs but only kik up a fuss so things are changed.

While rendering the % counter for caustics flies, when u do it on a mac u can actually count down the percentages...

Xeon 2.2 vs DP 1.25

hrgiger
04-09-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Ade

About 60% make users dont use a virus checker.
Im one.

Did you mean mac users? I wasn't sure.

Hey, I use a pc, have always used a pc, and I don't use a virus checker and I've never had a problem. Windows isn't as prone to viruses as Beam suggests. The way he talks about it, you would think you could catch a virus just by turning your computer on or off. Fact is, if you know how to protect your pc, you most likely will not encounter any problems.

I don't have a problem with macintosh but it's clear that Beam has a problem with both Microsoft and Intel and he just likes to kick things up.

Ade
04-09-2004, 08:17 PM
I meant mac...

PC ppl usually get viruses when they enter the downloading warez arena.. That and email viruses..

I have witnessed though blatent discimination from pc ppl here, many have been booted off and it did scare alot of mac ppl rom coming out to visit other threads.

BUT with the bad there is good, many ppl like GUI and exper have been very positive in helping fellow wavers. I think seperation is bad, if u dont know your neighbour you start to fear them.

I think us wavers need to realise many other packages are creeping up to us and we need to band together and show the rest how our community works.

In the end we are wavers.

Pooka
04-10-2004, 06:47 PM

Hi all,
I'm a proud G5+Lightwave user.
A rocking combination.

And maybe the Xeon and some other machines are still faste for 3Dr, but we come in a short time from a wery long way,
Lightwave six on OS9 was horror.
But when Lightwave is 64 bit, I think we will blow every other machine away.

(Hoping for us this is the reason for the delay of 8
:p )

btw I read some rumours, don't no where anymore, that the Newtek programmers will do the transformation in steps and that the renderer will be the first part.
Does anybody knows anything more about this?

hrgiger
04-10-2004, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't count on a 64 bit version of Lightwave too soon. That would be nice for you 64 bit owners though(G5's and Athalons alike).
As far as the 64 macs blowing everything else away, I suspect by the time there IS a 64 bit version of Lightwave, most people will be on fairly equal footing and there will still be the same pros and cons of differnet systems.

lasco
04-25-2004, 03:07 PM
But when Lightwave is 64 bit, I think we will blow every other machine away.

1/ you might learn that not only Macs now have 64 b processors,
AMD Opteron is one too

2/ What a joke when Apple sells us, as usual the fastest computer of
the world, claiming about these marvellous 64 bits and… releases
an OS, 10.3 Panther, that is not even optimized itself for 64 bits…

Anyway we Mac users should just realise now that we could have
to just give up definetely with that platform…
Why ?

because of Apple's ridiculous politics about softwares :
Apple released FCP some time ago, OK everyone agreed it was a very
good product, but they did all they could to make people leave Adobe Premiere,
fine ! Now Premiere does'nt exist anymore on Macs.
Then Apple bought Shake, and few weeks ago just released another
compositing, cheaper, soft : Motion.
Obviously Apple's goal is that Adobe stops developping After Effects
for Macs as well as Combustion or Comotion also get out of the plat-form.
Obviously that is going to happen.

Apple does'nt seem to plan to developp their own 3D package but who knows…?

Anyway if I enjoyed Macs for years I won't take the risk to have in
next times a machine with only Apple softs except LW…
No hesitation for me, I'll keep my I-book for internet connexions
and try this way to avoid viruses, but my next computer will be
the one where I have at least the choice of the tools I use.
Bye bye Steve Jobs !

Hey Beam c'mon I'd love to know what you think about that,
you Mac lover and AFX lover, what will you choose when AFX is not
developped for Mac anymore ?

Oddgit
04-25-2004, 11:07 PM
that "trojem" has been around for ever, the Mac OS never used file extensions so you could just tell the os what file it was with Res Edit or what other editor you choose, now under OS X it is one step easier, you just type whatever after the name and there ya go, you have your new file type. it happens frequently to me, ill accidently name something .iff instead of .tiff and then i have to tweek with it to figure out what it was.