i'd like to know
how to rander a real glass cup
i mean the thick of glass can really show
not just setting it transparent

thanks alot
clay

sheidi
04-08-2004, 05:31 AM
Perhaps you might want to check this tutorial..

http://www.liquid-arts.de/techniques.htm

and if that's not enough, you can look more tutorials from

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

callmeader
04-08-2004, 10:05 AM
thank you Sheidi

it's really helpful
i saw the wonderful bottle
i'll try it

thanks again

sincerely

Clay

Hulk
04-11-2004, 02:15 AM
Maybe you have a look here (http://www.3dworldmag.com/stoppress/realisticglass_tutorial.pdf) .

I guess this will help ;)

Hurben
04-12-2004, 03:16 PM
I think you guys are mistaken.. he was asking how to 'rander' a real glass cup..

This feature won't be available until Lightwave 8 comes out at the end of the year.

callmeader
04-28-2004, 06:49 PM
I follow that tips, step by step. But it still like a transparent object. Not a real glass, I'll try it again.:(

Intuition
04-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Did you check the boxes in the render options panel?

Settings on your surface will not take effect if you don't.

colkai
04-29-2004, 04:04 AM
unless you have something to reflect, glass doesn't look that super. A lot of how good product images using glass appear is down to their environment.

sleiron
04-30-2004, 08:31 AM
Hulk

Do you have the tutorial files from that issue?

Yesterday I went through it with my own
glass, but theres something not working
out.

So I think it's better try the original files. Unfortunately there's no download - just the pdf.

cheers
sleiron

colkai
04-30-2004, 08:33 AM
Or give us a clue what issue it is, I get 3DWorld but scanning through my papers I can't find it.

sleiron
04-30-2004, 08:38 AM
colkai,

it's issue nr. 43, but I missed it.

Could you send me the *.lwo file? :rolleyes:

cheers
sleiron

colkai
04-30-2004, 09:05 AM
I'm away for the next few days doing Centre work, but Will check out for Issue 43 when I get back.
(If I don't get chance to have a sneak on the PC before I go, before the wife sees me naturally ;) ).

Cheers!

colkai
05-05-2004, 08:42 AM
Ok,
This is strange, I can't find my copy of Issue 43 anywhere, I have Issue 42 but then nothing until issue 45. I think I may ask at the 3dworld mag forums for some assistance.
In theory, the actual glass shouldn't matter unless you specifically want the cut-glass effect. Having said this, I'm on a hunt now! ;)

sleiron
05-05-2004, 08:52 AM
colkai
Thanks for looking!

In the meantime I made several hundret renders with different settings and it looks
nice.

The original files would be helpful to see how the lightbox objects work.

I'll take the suggestion and ask in the 3D World forums.

cheers
sleiron

byte_fx
05-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Don't know if any of those links mentioned the following but in case they didn't .....

Do all the other stuff you normally do .....

Then, under 'Transparency' click the Texture button then choose Gradient. Scroll down and select 'surface thickness' as the input parameter.

Set up the end point dimension to the thickness of your object. Set the starting - zero thickness - to the base value you want. Then set the value for the thickest at something ever so slightly less. You'll probably find you want to add a step or two between zero thickness and max thickness to tweak the curve a bit as each object/scene/lighting set will have it's own 'sweet spot'.

Some glass has more pronunced color tint than other glass might. So you can capy the gradient from transparency to a color texture and play with the settings and color gradient there as well.

Try some gradient incidence angle for your specularity, glossiness and reflection settings as well.

I find an F11 render spends up the tweaking time quite a bit.

byte_fx