PDA

View Full Version : Smooth normals and extender prob

peteb
04-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Has lightwave got an option or a plugin that will allow you smooth normals with out having to change the surface. I find this really annoying that to smooth certain edges on an object I have to change the surface. I like the way Max works for this is there a way you can do ths in Lightwave.

Also is it a bug in Extender in that it always creates an extra unwanted poly when you extrude points? Actually it doesn't always do this but it does it a lot. It's annoying because I always have to keep checking to see if it's hidden anywhere. It's been like thissince version 5.5 or when ever they put it in so I'm hoping that it might have changed in 8 because there's reallu no reason it should be like this...well as far as I can see.

mkiii
04-08-2004, 01:46 AM
Not that I know of, but I haven't looked. It would be useful if smoothing had an option that allowed some sort of weight map control, but it hasn't, and neither is it in LW 8.

You can of course physically unweld the polys to create a hard edge, but that is untidy.
You can add geometry close to the edge you need to break - which is what I tend to do.

Extender always does that. It works like extrude without an end cap & doesn't know that you want a line of polys rather than a solid loop.

Read the LW 8 features list. Extender has been err... extended (Extender+).

While you are waiting for 8, to make it easier to use extender do it this way.

Select the points to extend, press = to hide the rest of the mesh.
Use extender & get rid of the unwanted poly, which is now easy to find 'cos that's all ther is on display.
Press \ to unhide the original mesh.

peteb
04-08-2004, 04:47 AM
Hmmm so I wonder if that means Extender has been fixed then?
I'll try the hide idea then for now.

I really do think they need to sort out the smooth group thing because like you say having to cut the bits you want sharp edged out from the mesh is untidy.

cagey5
04-08-2004, 05:15 AM
In the meantime try pozextender.
http://www.davidikeda.com/pozextender.html

peteb
04-08-2004, 05:24 AM
That one looks good, I'll try that thanks for the help!

jeanphi
04-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Native extender closes your point selection, so you have an extra poly on open selections that close it.

For smoothing you can set all your surfaces to 179.9 then unweld poly (select poly, cut/past then weld points you don't want to see edge) where you need a sharp edge.
It's an old tips I use for low poly modeling.

peteb
04-08-2004, 07:23 AM
But if you do this then you're left with un-attached polys? So what happens if you want to animate the mesh do you get seams or is it still ok?

jeanphi
04-08-2004, 03:27 PM
As points are at the same place there will not be seams, all will be ok.
If you use multy weight maps be sure that points have same values.

jeanphi
04-08-2004, 03:37 PM
The only thing you can't do with this is softbody/hardbody dinamics. You will need to to precalcul you simulation on a welded object and use it to deforme the unwelded one.

jeanphi
04-08-2004, 03:40 PM
If you need a sample I can @mail you a rig.

peteb
04-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Thats good then, I haven't really messed around with animation yet but it's good to know. Thanks for your help!