PDA

View Full Version : How Do You A Light Bulb?

HUTCHISONHATCH
03-18-2003, 03:36 PM
:( FRUSTRATED)
A recent project required that a string of "party lights" be reflected in a gently moving water surface. When asked if it could be done, my response was "no problem". Of course it turned out to be a big problem that I eventually solved with a bunch of "cheats".
Can anyone out there advise me as to the "right way" to get a glowing light bulb to be reflected in a surface complete with "glow" and some degree of control over it's intensity?
Thanks,
HH

3D|Dave
03-18-2003, 06:01 PM
Composite the shot.

Danner
03-19-2003, 01:43 AM
instead of using glow for your lightbulbs you could use an object with a texture simulating the glow, there are many ways of doing this depending on the type of scene-objects involved, That would, of course, reflect properly. "glow" effect is a post effect wich doesnīt show up in reflections.

d8ed
03-19-2003, 04:14 AM
there's no real way to do anything. it's what works for you. if you can get a good result by cheating as you say it.. then by all means cheat your butt off. the only important thing is how the final product ends up looking.

to get it to work without "cheating" isnt that difficult.. just build your light bulb like a real bulb would be and use that.. you could go as far as modeling the filament and putting some luminosity on it and turning on bloom/corona. glow is way overrated so dont depend on it for much.

HUTCHISONHATCH
03-19-2003, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all of the quick responses!

I have become painfully aware of glows, lens flares,blooms etc. all being "post process".

This was a 60 frame animation for a hologram, I have attached a "thumbnail" of one of the frames. The client had specified the lighting conditions which made things difficult with regards to the technical requirements of the holographic imaging process. Among other things, they want more dynamically reflected specular highlights (reflections of the lights in the rigging) coming off of the water.

Had I been able to exercise control over the intensity of the reflection of the lights, some of the reflection "blur" functions could have proved useful No such luck!

Could LW7.5 "luxigons" be the answer?

Someone has suggested Hypervoxels which I hadn't thought of , I will definitely pursue the lead - thank you!

It seems strange that one cannot reflect a "point light" source in a surface.

Are there any type of "glow simulation" effects that can be assigned to an to an object that can be reflected along with that object?

Danner
03-20-2003, 09:34 PM
I like your water, looks very pretty, but itīs way too bright for such a dark sky, and to see glowing lights reflected on it.. You might be able to get away with using simiple textured map poligons in the place of your lights. Paint your "glows" and map them into these polygons, crank up luminosity and use the same map as transparency.

HowardM
03-20-2003, 10:29 PM
Hypervoxel Sprites will reflect in the water!

Cool image, how do you make holograms!?
..the water is nice..

d8ed
03-20-2003, 11:52 PM
you can always reflect luminous polygons. with some bloom they could look pretty nice.