PDA

View Full Version : Fake light rays

dranos
04-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Ive modeled a treasure chest for a little cartoon animation I'm doing and I want to simulate the effect that coloured light rays are beaming out when it opens. I don't want to use volumetrics because I want the rays to have a 2D effect. How can I use a shape created in modeler, apply the ray tex to it and have it render with a transparent end?

Beamtracer
04-07-2004, 06:37 PM
The easiest way to create "beams" is not to do it in Lightwave. Use a compositing app like Adobe After Effects and one of the various beam creating plug-ins that are available.

But I guess that's not the answer you want to hear. You want to do it in Lightwave, without volumetrics.

Hmmm...

Well, you'll have to model your rays. Maybe something similar to a cone shape emanating from your treasure chest.

I'd probably texture it with an image map to create the colors of the rays.

A gradient in the transparency channel will make the rays fall off.

dranos
04-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks. Is there any particular setting I need to use in the transparency/gradient properties to get it to falloff properly? I tried a few settings and the polygon either disappears altogether or appears solid. Where am I going wrong? Here is the polygon I'm working with. I need the orange section to be transparent and a little of the edges as well.

Beamtracer
04-07-2004, 09:13 PM
That looks a bit like you've applied the gradient to the color channel.

Open the Surface Editor, click on the 'T' sign next to Transparency, and apply the gradient in there instead. Set the gradient parameter to 'Distance To Object'. Select your treasure chest as that object.

dranos
04-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks, it worked.