PDA

View Full Version : LW 7.5c : Panels bug in Layout...

SplittingPixels
04-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Sometimes when panels such as Surface Editor, Object Properties, Camera Properties, Render Options, etc are opened, they appear without displaying the values/parameters that are actually set for the item in question.

This only occurs in Layout, and not consistently perhaps about once in every 50 panel openings. I have not been able to duplicate the circumstances which trigger this (except accidentally.) Should such a panel appear without default values, selecting an item/surface/camera causes the panel to refresh and display proper values.

Not a critical problem, but a bug nonetheless... ;)

Karmacop
04-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Deauce wrote about this bug awhile ago on the mailing lists I think. The problem with it is that it's been reported, but Newtek have been unable to reproduce the bug (as far as I've heard). So if you can figure out how to reproduce it every time, send it to [email protected] , they'd love to hear it :)

Oh, and I've had the problem too, but it's never consistent.

Lynx3d
04-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Oh...so it was not my fault?

Don't have LW7.5 that long, and just started a plugin for Layout and wondered why every once in a while some of the panels just stop redrawing and keep blank.

Seems to me like it's totally random, guess Newtek has to figure that out by themselves...i don't think they will send me a debug-version of LW :D

Phil
04-10-2004, 09:28 AM
Tends to happen with memory intensive scenes for me. Anything that pushes the memory and CPU hard when redrawing the screen following panels being opened seems to cause LW to forget to update the display.

Irritating and I'm surprised they cannot reproduce it.

Karmacop
04-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Maybe they haven't been pusing it hard enough? You should email deauce and tell him what you've found and see if they've been able to reproduce it yet.

[email protected]

jeanphi
04-10-2004, 12:44 PM
I have the same problem and I just use the "time line slider" to send panels back to readeable values (forward backward one frame).
Sometimes all panels are melted. Camera panel options with lights panel options in motion pannel...arrrgggggg!!!
It happend when I update my NVIDIA display drivers.
I don't remember exactly when because it doesn't happen so many times.
It happens in 53.30 and now I have to try with the 56.72.
I didn't have this bug when I was with LW7.5 and 29.X drivers... a long time ago...
I didn't see this problem on ATI just on NVIDIA GF-4 and GF-FX.

Lynx3d
04-10-2004, 01:47 PM
I've been running running LW 6.x and for testing 7.x in demo mode for quite a while with the same config that i still have (age old nVidia drivers...but not as old as my video card which is a GeForce2) and that didn't happen a single time.

That's definitely 7.5C bug, perhaps it was already on 7.5 but it definitely worked fine before.

jeanphi
04-10-2004, 02:42 PM
I think you are right. It's a 7.5c bug.
I retried the 7.5 and I was not able to reproduce the bug.
Then, back on 7.5c, the bug came again with 53.30 NV drivers.

This is an other big bug coming with 7.5c...
I hope there will not be so much of them in 8...:(...

Phil
04-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Karmacop
Maybe they haven't been pusing it hard enough? You should email deauce and tell him what you've found and see if they've been able to reproduce it yet.

[email protected]

I would, but beyond confirming other issues I have filed, I've never heard back about a fix in either 7.x or 8.x, or indeed whether a fix has been identified and implemented. It's a lot of effort to file bug reports properly and since there is very little follow-up unless you keep posting queries via email, it's a losing proposition when life it busy.

Besides, this is a known issue and has been for some time. NT have apparently just chosen to ignore it in 7.x. Since there are no mentions of fixes in 8.x and 8.0 hasn't appeared yet, it may well persist in that release as well *shrug*