04-07-2004, 06:05 AM
http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1081289562.html

Exper
04-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Clear!
Intel strikes again!:mad:

Beamtracer
04-07-2004, 03:40 PM
It's a case of AMD innovating, while Intel drags its feet. Intel said there was no need for 64-bit desktop computing for another 10 years.

AMD has given Windows users a path to 64-bit computing. If it wasn't for these efforts by AMD, it really would be another 10 years before Intel had a viable 64-bit product on the market.

I'm happy to see that Intel is now forced to "eat humble pie". Intel has lost its crown as the platform leader, which now goes to AMD. Intel is now forced to reverse engineer AMD's processor designs.

I'm not sure what these "differences" between the two processors will mean. I hope it's not a case of Intel making their processors slightly different in the hope that software will be optimized for Intel's version.

Besides, Intel's reverse engineered 64-bit desktop processor is still not on the market. At least AMD has their 64-bit product out now, along with the Apple/IBM G5.

mattclary
04-07-2004, 03:58 PM
I thought of you when I posted this Beam, thought you'd get a kick out of it. ;)

KillMe
04-07-2004, 04:02 PM
probally why microsoft is not releaseing win xp 64 yet being presured by intel so that when tehre is a os for 64 bit software intels chips are on teh market so companys will be forced to chose which chipset to optomise there programs for

hope it back fires on them and everyone optomises for AMD (not least becasue i'm building a dual opteron 248 system)

GeorgeDittmar
04-07-2004, 05:45 PM
man i am really wishing i had known that amds were actually faster than intel instead of listening to all the propoganda hehe oh well life goes on

Beamtracer
04-07-2004, 05:58 PM
I don't see speed as the issue. I think the issue is being able to install more RAM in your system. It's also about being able to run upcoming software programs.

When the 64-bit apps start rolling out, won't you want to be able to run them? You need a 64-bit machine to do it. Current 32-bit processors will not be able to run them.

It also opens up new possibilities for software makers to explore in the future.

KillMe
04-07-2004, 06:46 PM
well it might be about ram and 64 bits but speed is also an issue - i read reviews and general opinion the dual opteron 248 is about the fastest workstation out there - which is one of the main reasons i am building one - after all there are no 64 bit apps yet or likley to be for quite a while yet and ECC PC3200 DDR RAM isn't cheap i'm only installing 2Gb dispite being able to install upto 8Gb simply because its alot more expensive than bog standard RAM

that said its ncie to have the option of putting more in at a later date

and i imagine this machine will last me into the 64 bit age without to many problems

so future proofing was definatly an issue - thats why issues like this worry me hell i've only jsut received the mother board and teh cpus are suppost to ship tomorrow but now i'm hearing that apps might be optoimised for only 1 64 bit platform which could result in me not being able to run lightwave at its maximum or even to have it become unstable on my system in its future 64 bit incarnation

hopefully amd releasing teh opteron and the athlon 64 well before intel will establish itself suffiently that if there are inconsistancies between the intel adn amd chips that newtek and others will choose to the opteron

at least G5 users dont need to worry about things like this and i did consider shifting over to macs as the G5 wasn't much difference in performace and its price point was actually slightly cheaper ( and they do looks alot better to boot ) but i have alot of software that wont run on macs so that was the final descision maker

tokyo drifter
04-07-2004, 07:05 PM
and i imagine this machine will last me into the 64 bit age without to many problems Just to let you know, there's a lot of new technology standards coming out this year. PCI Express (aka 3GIO) will be replacing AGP and PCI. And DDR2 is starting to be released but doesn't show a speed increase in current configurations. I'm not recommending being an early adopter of these technologies, just warning you that you might need to switch out your motherboard in a year or so. ;) (edit: ohh, and buying new memory and video cards, etc.)

GeorgeDittmar
04-07-2004, 08:52 PM
i know my next machine will have an amd and prob be a duel thing