PDA

View Full Version : thick cloth

tisoy
04-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Im having problem making a thick cloth,,,,I know I can extrude or soft shift it to make it thick,,,but is there other way to do it? I wanted to make a thick cloth,,,,now its to thin...:(

hrgiger
04-07-2004, 02:47 AM
What's wrong with extruding it? If it's not precise enough, you can hit th extrude key and then the n key to use numeric values.

There are also some plug-ins like thickener.lsc and pumpit which wich give thickness to your polys. Do a search on Flay.com for them.

jin choung
04-07-2004, 03:47 AM
there's a free plugin (as well as commercial) that allow you to create a 'shell' of paper thin geometry...

go to flay.com and do a plugin search for THICKENER.

that's exactly what you need.

jin

p.s. hr, you couldn't really extrude it if he modeled an entire shirt or something that is 'paper thin'....

mattclary
04-07-2004, 05:26 AM
Yeah, I was thinking "bed sheet", but if the item is complex, thickener is the way to go.

riki
04-07-2004, 06:43 AM
From my Tut site

------

This example uses the Extrude Tool to add thickness to an object. I'm using an odd organic shape to demonstrate the versatility of this method.

http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/img/129.gif

mattclary
04-07-2004, 08:13 AM
Riki, I respect your ingenuity, but you could achieve the same results with thickener with a lot less work. ;)

riki
04-07-2004, 08:31 AM
I use Thickener as well, but I sometimes find I get better results with this method. I think it gives a little bit more control as I can see in realtime what's going on. It's good for things like adding clothes to an organic figures.

Thickener is here btw for anyone who's interested. I think there's a few different versions floating around. http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1665

Extent
04-07-2004, 03:26 PM
You can do the same thing by selecting all the polygons, hit 'F', rightclick, hit 'h', size object.

Only problem is it wont work for more complex shapes, only on objects that are still entirely based on a sphere shape. take for instance the vase like thing there, if one of those "leaves" were bent down to the ground it breaks the whole process.

tisoy
04-07-2004, 10:14 PM
I tried the extrude tool,,but u see I cant use it after or if I decided to use subdevide or subpatch,,,,,,if I decide to use extrude then I will have to delete the faces in between just to use subd or patch....maybe theres a way to do it.....I tried using smooth shift and it did do some thickening effect to it but the sides that are only thick and if u view inward u will see the geometry just been pushed outward.........:mad:

mattclary
04-08-2004, 05:37 AM
Did you get Thickener? It's free.