PDA

View Full Version : Multi DV cams

Rodad
04-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Is anyone using multiple firewire inputs for live switching ??
I donít seem to be able to get more than one camera at a time.
I can get one camera (sony Ė PDX-10) and a VTR deck (DSR-11)
and firewire drives working at the same time, no problem. Add a camera or swap the deck for a camera and VT3 canít see it and sometimes canít see the other camera or drives as well (windows can). I had been hoping to use three firwire camera as well as four component inputs Ė yes I can always the composite camera outputs but digital component sound good and is one of the reasons I went with the Toaster (Iíve only had it a week or so Ė so Iíve still got a lot to learn)
Any Ideas

Cheers Rohan
:confused:

ottis41
04-06-2004, 08:16 PM
I have tryed with 2 seperate Firewire busses, 1 built in to the MOBO and one add in card, still only 1 cam.
I think its a buss thing.

Rich Deustachio
04-06-2004, 10:32 PM
What firewire card are you using?

wvp
04-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Keep in mind there is a bigger delay when using firewire input. If you are combining firewire & analog you may not be happy with the delay difference

djlithium
04-09-2004, 01:18 AM
According to a few tests that I did and to some backing info from NewTek,
The multiple Firewire (ie DV) input for VT3 seems to be slightly broken on SOME (some I repeat some) WinXP Pro based systems.
According to Paul L. it works best on Win2K based boxes. This is probably right.

I have run a DSR-11 and a Canopus DV-500 thingy (can't remember the model number) at the same time on a VT3 running XP pro but there were issues with those two devices sometimes having frozen video frames. I think this was more a problem with the way I had it set up as well (I was being a moron running a macrovision protected DVD back through the canopus unit in analog to the VT3 via firewire and it didn't really like that.)

Still, it is possible to do a mixed analog and DV/Firewire input switch providing the deck or camera shows up as a Microsoft DV camera or device in the VT3 interface. Delay issues aside with mixing analog and DV material together, I have found doing a complete DV switch works just fine with out any serious issues if all you want to do is run analog back out to tape or record your switch to disk using the PGM out and the capture panel.

I have found though that on systems that do have Firewire 800 cards (even though you are only running S-400 or regular firewire in) that the system has a better time of working with the material.
My guess is that most IEEE 1394 cards are 32bit 33mhz and the new cards are PCI-X64bit 66mhz or 133mhz and that extra through put capacity certainly helps when you are running multiple camera inputs at once.

One thing you do want to make sure of is that when you are doing a multiple DV camera switch that you only are decoding the audio and video for your main and preview DV rows, not everything coming into the box. There is a switch for this in the preferences panel.

DV performance is actually much better in VT3 with this new build than it ever has been before. The inclusion of the main concept codec a while back certainly helped out with that as well as it is significantly faster than the MS codec for decode and encoding. Quality is much better too.

It would be interesting to pit the Mainconcept DV/DVCPro codec against the PIC Video DV codec and the Canopus DV codec and see which one works best in each situation. Switching, recording form analog souce to DV format, playback, quality and stability.

Has anyone done a shoot out of this type?

ScorpioProd
04-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Well, it's not like there is a choice available so one could do the type of test you suggest.

The MainConcept DV codec is THE codec inside of the VT[3], and therefore the only one you can use for firewire switching with it.

Luckily, it's a very good codec.

BTW, PicVideo doesn't make a DV codec.