PDA

View Full Version : Female Character

Don Cassity
03-18-2003, 03:00 PM
Working off of a Joan of Ark tutorial. This is what I have done so far.

js33
03-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Hi Don,

Looks great but she forgot to put her pants on. Hehehe

She's cute. Where is that tut you're talking about.

Cheers,
JS

Kuzey
03-18-2003, 05:24 PM
Mighty fine, that's the second waver that's done that tutorial...I got to find the time to have a go :p

Joan of ARC tutorial (http://216.239.37.120/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://mr2k.3dvf.com/tutorials/max/tutorials_joan.htm)

Kuzey

harhar
03-18-2003, 08:20 PM
she shaved her pubic area?

takkun
03-18-2003, 09:08 PM
I would like to critique it but it's just too distracting without the pants!!!

hrgiger
03-18-2003, 09:50 PM
Yes, I feel I shouldn't be looking at this, at least at this stage of completion. Her face looks very young, like as in 8 or 9 and obviously she has no body hair so I think pants would be good for an update.

toa
03-18-2003, 09:51 PM
nice work:) but you probably make a detail of hair :p

mmecca
03-18-2003, 09:59 PM
very nice...im currently following that same tutorial, but will change it into Belldandy from 'Ah, My Goddess!'...no doubt i there will be plenty of crotch/butt/cleavage shots....btw, do you think her nips are a bit hard w/ no cloth on under that cold steel armor?

Don Cassity
03-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the comments.Still pretty new to this 3d stuff. My back ground is in 2D art. The tutorial I'm using is in 3dmax. But was still fairly easy to follow. So far the only problem I encountered was in attaching the ear to the head. Some how the flow of the polygons got all screwed-up around the jawline near the ear. But I was able to fix it in about 15 min. I'm not too happy with the way the hair is. And my just scrap it and use Sasquatch. I knew I should have waited and put cloths on her before I posted it. But was hopeing on some helpful feedback. Will update this post when I have some more free time. And I'll be sure she has pants on.

Later. Don

p.s. this next image is to answer mmecca qwestion:D

mmecca
03-19-2003, 10:28 AM
hwah...that metal must be very cold it seems....anyways, with regards to the 3ds tutorial, how did you accomplish the whole 'edges' thing....and another thing im havin trouble with (im a little new at organic modeling)...numerous times he 'slices' faces (or i guess its adding edges or making cuts) and they just kind of 'end' in the middle of nowhere making one of the polygons next to it have 5 points, any tips on this? (an example would be the last step on page2 of the body tutorial)

Don Cassity
03-19-2003, 12:07 PM
mmecca. Not sure what you mean by the "edges thing". Do you mean on her armor? Let me know and I'll check my files. But as far as the 5 pointed patches are concerned I can tell you what I did. Now keep in mind I'm not an expert and I know there is probably a better solution. In the area you mentioned I tried several different approaches. To creating "Kites". and three point patches. I gave up and just continued the geometry down the leg. See attached images. Hope this helps. If you get stuck again let me know. And I'll show you how I'm "Forest Gumping" my way through it;)

Don

Don Cassity
03-19-2003, 12:13 PM
2nd image

johnnyh66
03-19-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by mmecca
they just kind of 'end' in the middle of nowhere making one of the polygons next to it have 5 points

I know what your talking about, when useing the knif tool, wherever you "stop" the cut it leaves a additional vertex. I either delete that polygone and then just remake it (depending if going to metanurbs) or you can tripple it.

Hiraghm
03-19-2003, 02:40 PM
It's a very good model, there's nothing wrong with the nudity in it except people generally like some mention of nudity in the title.

The pointiness of the breastplate depends on how it was forged, not how cold it is :) I think the hair is great! Why don't you like it?

Have you tried to cel-shade it yet? Looks very anime...

Schwing
03-20-2003, 12:18 PM
Unless it's a case of stylization, I think the small of the back is too high and too sevre.

sidewing
03-21-2003, 08:46 AM
Hi Don,

Finally I found your lady!

Looks very nice. Hopefully you are going to rig it. She is worth it to get some bones in her tiny body.

John

mmecca
03-21-2003, 02:24 PM
wow..very nice mesh don....im gonna have to work on organic modeling a lot....i would really like pointers, please tell me what im doin wrong here (btw, i know its terribly bad, but im new at organics and this is also not nearly finished)....ive also circled areas that i think are weird

mmecca
03-21-2003, 02:50 PM
btw, your meshes are a BIIIIG help

Don Cassity
03-21-2003, 09:00 PM
mmecca. I think for the most part your mesh is comming along good. The areas you circled would work great I think if Lightwave could create a 5.pointed patch. That said, lets see if we can get yours to flow better. Lets start with image "A". The area you circled is good. It looks like it will create a natural fold when the leg is raised. But I think you might get some pinching in the areas that I circled. So keep an eye out for that. The area at the knee, I would just continue the geometry all the way down. Or get rid of it. You want to keep things flowing. Image "B" The area in "Red" is too high. It is suppose to be the fold just under the buttocks and the back of the leg. Image "C" In the tutorial you were instructed to put all that geometry in so that you could shape the butt better. I've marked areas that I think you could do without. And you will still have enough to make a nice looking backside. By doing this your poly count will be lower and you'll be able to shape your figure easier. In fact, I think your will be more stream-lined than mine. My only other advice would be, is to take your time. Always look at your mesh from all angles. Though this is a stylized figure, basic anatomy still apply. Keep up the good work and keep me posted. Feel free to e-mail me if you like.

[email protected]

p.s. If any of you pros out there see something I missed or feel that I'm way off base feel free to jump right in:)

Later. Don

Don Cassity
03-21-2003, 09:20 PM
Just a qwick update. Had some free time to work on some clothing for her. Still alot to do, but having fun.

Later. Don

Rory_L
03-22-2003, 12:36 AM
Coming on nicely! Clean mesh.

If they weren`t to be in iron shoes, I`d say the feet needed a bit more work, but as it is I suppose they`re fine.

It`s not a crit of your model, it`s just me, but I hate those narrow ankles. As I say, you`re not at fault at all: it`s the design you`re working from. I`d want to put more meat on the upper thighs too.

I took a look at that tutorial. In a theoretical way I knew people model point by point, edge by edge, but it hadn`t really come home to me till I saw that. To paraphrase Obelix, "These guys are crazy!" Thank god Lightwave doesn`t compel us to model in this way!

R

Don Cassity
03-24-2003, 08:53 PM
Well I won't be posting for awhile due to a new project I need to get done. So I leave you with this latest image. I hope to have her done and ready to texture on my next post.

Later. Don

Don Cassity
03-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Well aside from a bit of tweeking here and there, I think it's ready to texture. Please feel free to give suggestions.

Later. Don