PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the dumbest question ever

peteb
04-06-2004, 05:47 PM
but one that I've never solved and one that in till now haven't really had to.

How the hell do you scale polygons equally inwards on an object made of lots of polys?
So say the white A was the original poly object and the blue A is a smooth shifted version that's been scaled. The way it is in the picture is what would happen if I done this with either stretch or scale. If I wanted the blue one to sit inside the white one like a bevel so you just see a nice white border all the way round how do I do that? Taking into consideration that my A is made up of lots of polys so I can't just do a simple bevel.

peteb
04-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Opps, forgot to attach pic.

mkiii
04-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Bevel does of course work in this way, but there are difficulties when you bevel a higly convex shape inwards.
You can solve this to some extent by making the smaller inner shape first & bevelling OUT to get the outer shape.

You say you can't use bevel though. If it is a 2d shape, why not just merge the polys.

Assuming this is a 3d shape, then use smooth scale instead of bevel to get the same effect. A smooth scale of -n will scale the object inwards.

It will scale in all directions tho, so if you want to keep the thickness, you'll need to do a stretch in z to get the size back, or just manually align the points.

meatycheesyboy
04-06-2004, 11:35 PM
I would suggest that you go to http://www.flay.com/ and find/download Jetto Bevel, it'll do what you need, it is basically a bevel tool that will work on multiple polys.

peteb
04-07-2004, 04:00 AM
MK, the problem is that I want to keep the amount of polys in the shape. If I use smooth shift and then stretch or scale it will do what the picture above does. And if I bevel it will bevel all the selected polys using their own centre. I tried scaling each axis separately but because of the curved edges it's difficult to decide where one axis stops and the other starts.
Cheesyboy I'm going to check out that plugin, at work at the mo so don't have Lightwave at hand but it sounds like it could be good.

Thanks for the comment

mkiii
04-07-2004, 04:36 AM
I said Smooth Scale, not Smooth Shift.

They don't work the same way.

Smooth Scale does not add any polys, and will do exactly what you want. I know because I tried it with an A of my own.

lwaddict
04-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Thickener?

Flay.com

peteb
04-07-2004, 07:02 PM
I did try smooth scale but found it came up with to many errors. In the manual it says to use it to fatten up polys. I think it trys to smoot out the points or something. Maybe it works on simple stuff but for more complex stuff it gets confused.

mkiii
04-08-2004, 02:06 AM
I think you are approaching this the wrong way.

1: Don't try to do it with a complex shape. You haven't said yet whether this is a 3d or 2d shape, or what you mean by complex.

2: Think laterally. I have already suggested making the inner letter & bevelling OUT.

However, when you create text, it consists of one ngon to make bevelling easy, so in most cases inner or outer bevel will work, depending on the type of text. If you created the shape manually, just merge the polys & go from there.

If you work with a 2d shape the bevel method & a negative smooth scale both work fine, even on a letter A. All you need to do is a little planning ahead. You may need to do some copying & pasting to get the results you want.

peteb
04-08-2004, 04:52 AM
The reason the letter was made up of lots of polys was because I wanted to then extrude and manipulate them to give me shapes on top of the letter. I wanted an effect of plates of armour.
But I think you're right I was going about it the wrong way. I'm going to create the armour first and then stencil the letters into it and cut them out.