PDA

View Full Version : Are there any news about LW 8 ?

eggy
04-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Wasn’t visiting any forums lately so I wanted to know if there are news about Lightwave 8.
Looks like the Lightwave 8 fire has gone out, are there any new videos or features announced ?:confused:

Just heard about the dstorm lightwave 8 party, but they already said something about march 23rd.
Are there any official statements from chuck or proton, it's about time.:(

xeno3d
04-06-2004, 05:40 PM
nothing official yet

eggy
04-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by xeno3d
nothing official yet

Damn, thanks fpor the info Kevin. :(

T-Light
04-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Nothing official, but unnofficially...

It has been written on these forums that Lightwave went to gold master over the weekend. :)

ngrava
04-06-2004, 11:24 PM
I would guess that they will wait for an official release at the NAM show on the 19th.

-=GB=-

jamesl
04-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Or NAB on the 17th? :p

j

hrgiger
04-07-2004, 02:45 AM
I think people are just as tired of asking for it as they are waiting for it at this point.

Zach
04-07-2004, 03:12 AM
There's a LightWave 8 coming out?

:rolleyes: :eek:

Ade
04-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Our company had ordered LW8 a while back and my boss 3 weeks ago just got in a demo copy of c4d and is starting to love it, hes actually thinking twice now of keeping lw8 that never came..
Waiting is bad..bad enough ppl like him have been courted by other softwares.

he said they dont see lightwave coming out till June july and has started to find features in c4d not in lw like SSS in G.I.

I have no right to convince him otherwise as I feel like the dumbass who told him to buy LW8 back in October. Got tired of them asking me when is it shipping.

Last said was Q1.......That has just past....
Looks like I might have to start using Cinema 4d..

mdwainwright
04-07-2004, 04:22 AM
Funny you should mention those dates. Last week I asked my supplier of my LW 8 pre-order when they were expecting delivery and they said the same thing - around June/July.

If this is the case then so be it but at least an honest 'heads-up' from Newtek would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, whilst I cannot wait for LW8 like everyone else, I am no-where near mastering 7.5 yet so I still have my hands full until it arrives, whenever that may be!

TyVole
04-07-2004, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by mdwainwright
Last week I asked my supplier of my LW 8 pre-order when they were expecting delivery and they said the same thing - around June/July.

If this is true, don't be surprised if they don't hold off until siggraph.

retinajoy
04-07-2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Ade

Last said was Q1.......That has just past....
Looks like I might have to start using Cinema 4d..

It looks a good piece of 3D software. If it wasn't for the DFX+ deal, I would have probably been using Cinema myself now. However, the new LW8 char features do look good and now with Fprime (have you showed your boss Fprime?), things seem to look up. I am hopeing that once LW8 is out of the door, the point releases will be quick out of the door to move the package forward.

Ade
04-07-2004, 06:02 AM
FPrime saved interest in LW8 IMHO...

Imagine how many users we would have lost if there was no FPrime.

I dont expect LW8 anytime soon, I expect it mid July when Im totally over waiting and by then our studio probably would have stuck with Cinema 4d and bought it...

I want Lightwave, but my boss is flirting with c4d while he waits for lw8.....Every day he come sinto the studio and asks if I have seen this or that feature....

FPrime is the only thing that has got our team excited and seen a reason to leave Lightwave on the macs... How bad is that, but understabdable.

smh
04-07-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Ade
...I dont expect LW8 anytime soon, I expect it mid July...

Ade you want to be money on that? :p

Now seriously I know how you feel, but I think it's coming real soon. D-Storm, who now announce a launch party on the 15th, can't afford to make the same mistake twice about release dates. Their shadow* cannot withstand that many hits. I'm pretty sure they took a solid confirmation from NewTek, before announcing a date. NT is probably aiming for a NAB release (15-19th of this month).

* Shadow is the symbol of reputation in Japanese cluture.

Hope it sticks,

-SMH

Tony3d
04-07-2004, 06:23 AM
You have peaked my interest. I have a friend who has been tring to sell me on C4D for the past 6 months. He swear's that he gets more work done faster than he ever could with Lightwave, and he has used Lightwave for the past 3 years. He claims things such as beveling, and particles are far easier to use and setup. He also says that rendering speed is much faster. Well, I don't know if any of this stuff is true, but I'm going to find out this weekend. He's bringing it over. I'll let you know what I think.

KillMe
04-07-2004, 06:38 AM
beveling faster than lightwave? how? move mouse right click move mouse right click move etc etc etc

rendering faster? well perhaps but show him fprime =)

Ade
04-07-2004, 06:41 AM
Most of what hes saying is correct.
C4d is also less buggy in the driver department too.
I dont enjoy the interface, I prefer Lightwaves, but then u say to yourself its all about training your mind to it...

I ask, did lightwave 8 ever attract any newcomers, or was it justr more food for the current users?

This delay shyed away many potential customers I know for a fact, many of them are now courting c4d and liking it.

I myself am over the waiting...Its no longer exciting for me, BUT annoying.

grundgedanke
04-07-2004, 06:56 AM
as i use c4d too from time to time i can tell you this is the truth so far. BUT at all the modeler of lightwave is much better than the c4d modeler. particularly if it comes to organic modeling you would miss lw very much. i live both and i see no reason that i use both :D at the moment i only habe the 6ce by my own but i can use a friends laptop with version 8. i think i´ll buy the actual 8.5 in the near future. but i wont sell lw for that.

edit: yes, it is less buggy. much more stable than lw. also it is much faster than the lw render enginge. but who cares :-) its not faster than fprime :-) but for those who are interested, there is a thirdparty preview engine thats also very fast. and it costs about 80$ wich is very cheap...

edit2:
character animation is none of c4d´s strongest skills. its more complicated in compare to lw. but for that i think motion builder or something like that is better than both of them

JML
04-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Ade,
I don't know what kind of work you do but if you do architectural work, I don't
think LW8 will help you or your boss a lot anyway..
I think most new feature in LW8 are for animators..
LW7.5 is defentlty enough for architectural work.
hopefully, LW9 will be come with features for architectural work like faster rendering, (radiosity and area lights..)

we do architectural work, and we are using Formz and mostly electric image here and we have 1 licence of lightwave (which i use).
we try to make our renders nicer and they liked the result I was giving them with LW i guess, so we are going to get a second LW licence and I will teach 2 people how to use LW. cool .
the company is mostly mac based but LW is on PC, same with the rendering farm.

what kind of feature you wish they would fix or add for your type of work?

Ade
04-07-2004, 07:10 AM
You only need to search the features list forum to see many of our posts reguarding architectural requests...

Here u go (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15797)

Yog
04-07-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Ade
FPrime saved interest in LW8 IMHO...

Imagine how many users we would have lost if there was no FPrime.

Aint that the truth.
I think Newtek should get down on their knees and kiss Steve Worley's feet for keeping us ingrates off of their backs (almost) :D
Even I shudder to think what these boards would have been like without F-prime to distract us.
Perhaps this is the reason Newtek decided not to release a revised shipping date as they told us they would in December :p

As for the June/July date, the way I read it was that the electronic (CD's) pre-ordered upgrades will be shipping "soon" :rolleyes: , whilst the boxed/manual'ed versions for new customers will be shipping June/July.
I suspose this is to get over the pre-ordered shipping backlog and the time needed to print the hard copy manuals.

BTW - When I purchased my copy of LW seven years ago, the sole UK distributor (at the time) told me the next release would have lots of features specifically for architectural work (like parametric doors/windows). Neadless to say I wont be holding my breath for similar features in LW9 :rolleyes:

Ade
04-07-2004, 08:12 AM
If it matters I found a window generator and stair generator and the author wsaid hell do a door generator as well if we wanted one..they work well.

Tony3d
04-07-2004, 08:15 AM
Where do you get them?

Ade
04-07-2004, 08:29 AM
LW indows (http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1869)

Theres also a stair generator by this guy and its listed somewhere on flay.com

Email the author to encourage more development and a door generator!

Yog
04-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Thanks Ade.
Although I have found an alternative window/door/stair generator for my architectural work. It's called 3D Studio MAX :p

retinajoy
04-07-2004, 08:33 AM
To quote:

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/3dfestival/3dfestival_uk.html

"William Vaughan's presentation of LightWave [8] will be the first official unveiling in Europe of the finished new release and we will be showing off its many improvements and new abilities in our demo. We'll be able to answer your questions about what the new release consists of and put more detail on what we've already shown."

...and the Europe 3D fest is on the 4th May.

So I guess LW8 is finished and maybe we will have our hands on it before then.

Ade
04-07-2004, 08:49 AM
So another Month...LOL whatever...

I stand by my remarks, i wont get LW8 in my hands till June..

Chris S. (Fez)
04-07-2004, 09:22 AM
June! Newtek...say its not so.

hrgiger
04-07-2004, 09:52 AM
If it didn't come out until June or July, I'd be seriously pissed.

But that doesn't sound right to me. I'm thinking with the D-Storm news and the email that Newtek just sent out that it will probably be the middle to the end of this month. Perhaps during NAB.

Ade
04-07-2004, 10:00 AM
As Chuck generously said in the other post, going GM doesnt always mean thats the final and its ready to ship, there can be many versions of a GM.

June in my hands (I live in OZ)...