PDA

View Full Version : Rendering MPEG

abishiai
04-06-2004, 12:16 PM
I purchased TMPGEnc and have a couple questions about how it interfaces with the Toaster.

From reading posts, I understand there is a way for it to be a "plug-in" so I can render to MPEG directly from VT-Edit. How do I do this?

If I save my project as an .AVI using the AVI wrapper, and open it in TMPGEnc, the video file comes up, but there is no audio source file. How do I get around this problem?

Thanks,

Kevin

ScorpioProd
04-06-2004, 12:37 PM
If you use the AVI Wrapper to bring a project into TMPGEnc, you also need to render out a wav of your audio in VT-Edit and drop that in for the audio in TMPGEnc.

The better way to do it is to use the third-party plug-in for TMPGEnc in VT[3]. If you installed your third-party plug-ins, it will already be there. You just take a normal VT-Edit project, NOT an AVI type project and drop that into TMPGEnc and you will get video and audio. But be sure to crop the bottom six lines in TMPGEnc when you do this, since the plug-in gives it 486 lines while it needs 480 lines.

abishiai
04-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by ScorpioProd

The better way to do it is to use the third-party plug-in for TMPGEnc in VT[3]. If you installed your third-party plug-ins, it will already be there. You just take a normal VT-Edit project, NOT an AVI type project and drop that into TMPGEnc and you will get video and audio. But be sure to crop the bottom six lines in TMPGEnc when you do this, since the plug-in gives it 486 lines while it needs 480 lines.

Thanks! Where are the plug-ins? I can't find them on either NewTek disks or the TMPEnc programs.

Cheer,

Kevin

Scott Bates
04-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Go to Windows Start > Programs > VT[3] > Utilities and run the "Third Party Application Driver Installer". It will search for TMPGEnc and install the VT[3] TMPGEnc plugin driver. If you installed VT[3] after installing TMPGEnc, and at the end of the VT[3] install, told it to install the 3rd Party drivers when it asked it will already be there.

Lew
04-06-2004, 02:10 PM
To go along with that question, is it normal for there to be an audio offset (loss of lip sync) when rendering a VT3 project from TMPGEnc? the Audio seems to lead the video.

Anyone else have this problem. I've put in a offset to solve the problem, but I derived it by trial and error, not the best way.

Scott Bates
04-06-2004, 02:52 PM
No, I've never had that problem. Was it in sync in the VT[x] project? What did you give TMPGEnc to encode - a VT-Edit Project, rendered .avi with separate .wav audio file...? More info is needed Lew.

ScorpioProd
04-06-2004, 10:11 PM
No, the audio and video should be in sync if they were in VT-Edit.

Lew
04-07-2004, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the answer Scott and Eugene.
Here's what I did to replicate the problem.
1. Saved a VT3 project as usual

2. Opened TMPGEnc - used the brouse to point to the project, and selected open. Went with all the default settings.

3. TMPGEnc output a test.m2v and a test.wav file.

4. Imported those fines into DVD Lab

5. Compiled the DVD to a hard drive, play it back and it's out of lip sync.

So where am I going wrong?

Thanks for the help
Lew

robewil
04-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Lew, the steps you show seem exactly right as I also use DVD-Lab and perform the same exact steps and get perfectly synced audio and video. You have not answered Scott's question about verifying the audio and video in sync in VT-Edit. That's where I would look first.

You mention that you compiled the DVD to a hard drive so I assume you are playing the VOB file from your computer. If your audio is in sync in your VT-Edit project, it may be a computer playback issue. I would suggest actually burning the DVD and playing it on a standalone player and see how it plays.

Lew
04-07-2004, 11:55 AM
Sorry Robewil, assumed that you would understand that the video and audio would be synced in TEDIT. The clip I'm using is a talking head, single clip, just trimmed on the front and back to give a short clip with easily seen lip movements.

2nd point - yes I'm playing it from the VOB file on the hard drive, however, previous tries have proven that the same results happen when burned and played on both a computer drive and a standalone unit.

If I take the rtv with it's wave, modify into the length I want, then render to an uncompressed AVI, then run through TMPGEnc, the audio and video come out perfect. Why that makes a difference I don't have any idea.

robewil
04-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Lew
If I take the rtv with it's wave, modify into the length I want, then render to an uncompressed AVI, then run through TMPGEnc, the audio and video come out perfect. Why that makes a difference I don't have any idea. I'm afraid I'm about out of ideas since I've never encountered this with any version of VT3, TMPGEnc, or DVD-Lab. I wonder how hard it would be to see if the resulting m2v and wav files are in sync before putting them into DVD-Lab. Thay way, you can verify if the sync is getting lost in TMPGEnc or DVD-Lab. If this proves impossible, you might want to experiment by having TMPGEnc create a single mpg file with both video and audio together and see if that works.

Lew
04-07-2004, 02:08 PM
you might want to experiment by having TMPGEnc create a single mpg file with both video and audio together and see if that works.

Good idea, I did try that, (made the audio MPEG level2) and imported as a single MPEG file. It's in snyc, but the sound is awful. I'm afread it must be something in DVD Lab that's causing the offset.

I'm using a work around by retatding the sound by 80 msec in the Audio Gap Correct jpart of the Source Range. Hmmmm - the fact that there is a Audio Gap Correct field may be a clue that others have had this problem. Anyway, that work around is fine as long as I don't forget. Most things, pictures to music etc, the difference is not enough to notice, but you know how easy it is to catch a tardy lip.

Thanks for the thinking anyway. If I ever solve the mystery, I'll let you know.
Lew

Scott Bates
04-07-2004, 02:14 PM
the fact that there is a Audio Gap Correct field may be a clue that others have had this problem You might be on to something Lew. I don't have DVD Lab, but DVD Workshop has never given me sync problems with anything that's been in sync in VT-Edit.

Scott Bates
04-07-2004, 02:17 PM
PS - you are talking about a "Audio Gap Correct" function in DVD Lab, not TMPGEnc, right? If it's in the latter I've never noticed it.

robewil
04-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Lew
I'm afread it must be something in DVD Lab that's causing the offset. Very odd. I've been using DVD-Lab for the past year and never encountered this. What version are you using? I'd also like to know where the "Audio Gap Correct field" is.

ScorpioProd
04-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Shoot, there is an audio gap correct in TMPGEnc, but I don't think it's actual intended for the problem you're hitting...

I don't remember off the top of my head what it's for, but I do know I've seen burner programs that have it also, I think it's purpose is actually different than what would seem implied.

But I can also state that I did a bunch of DVDs last week using the VT-Edit plug-in to TMPGEnc and then DVD Workshop to burn the DVDs, and sync was fine.

One thing to try, be sure your audio is 48kHz in VT-Edit and in TMPGEnc and in your authoring program. And do your AC-3 encoding in the authoring program specifically at 192kb/s.

Lew
04-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Shoot, there is an audio gap correct in TMPGEnc, but I don't think it's actual intended for the problem you're hitting...

Yes it is there, and I don't know what it' there for, but it does work to correct the problem I described.

However - - -

All the post got me to thinking about the RTV. Since it's a single clip - video and audio recorded together, I'm thinking it's got to be in sync.

But then I think, NO the audio comes through by Mackie, probably the audio is getting slowed down, and that must be it, there's an offset when capturing the clip.

So I did out my old clap board, and shoot a test, and sure enough, the audio is offset by two frames - but it's not slow, it's FAST!!!!!
If I retard the audio two frames on the time line (slide it to the right) save the project - import into TMPGEnc - compile with DVD Lab, it's perfect.

So what's up with that??

Have I got the only wierd VT3?
Lew

ScorpioProd
04-08-2004, 01:08 PM
RTV is a video-only format. Your audio is stored as a WAV.

VT-Edit only pretends it's all in one clip.

Yes, at one time the VT did have the audio interleaved, but that was long ago and hasn't existed since early in VT[2].

Lew
04-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Well you're right of course, they really are two separate files, but I was making an assumption that when recorded at the same time, there would be a link that would keep them in sync unless you changed it.

As it turns out, the relationship between the video and audio files is consistant, but not in sync. The difference is small enough that it's not noticeable for most things. I had just not seen the offset discussed.

Anyway, problem solved, I know how to fix the offset now.
One thing about this biz, always a learning experience.
Thanks for the help,
Lew