PDA

View Full Version : Damn rail extrude....

Hervé
04-06-2004, 07:35 AM
Can anybody points me to a good tut using rail extrude.... the piece I want to rail ext. disapear when I hit OK...; if I un-click the rotation, it's fine but that's not what I want....

I made a curve using existing points that are at the base of some room floor... I want to make some plinths.... ahhhh....help...

I tried already...

-adding points
- flipping polys & curve
-moving the plinth poly

I succed once.... I have 20 left to make...
any thoughts??......

Matt
04-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Could try merging points on the spline just in case there are duplicate points in there . . .

sheidi
04-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Umm, sounds strange, only thing that came in my mind is that the polygon you are about to rail extude isn't positioned to the start of the rail? If this is the case, perhaps you could try moving it there. I think there's also plugin around for that???

Matt
04-06-2004, 09:39 AM
AlignToRail by Carl Merritt, I'm pretty sure Herve knows about that plugin, this sounds like something else, but still worth a try.

Hervé
04-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Align to rail... hum Matt sorry to disapoint you, but I dont recall that plug...

Fact is rail extrude is more for round soft stuff, it works, but I found another way to do my plinths... he he... I cutted the rooms where it's suppose to go (knife), then again slightly above (reknife), then smooth shift on polys, then smoothscale( for the thickness of the plinth) on the lower poly.. tada... voila, perfect beveled plinths...

I got to check that Align to rail though... let's go Flaying a bit...

Thanks holly LW'ers... that community is rockin'..:D ;)

sheidi
04-08-2004, 07:08 AM
yeah sounds strange. Nice that you founded work-around. I was just thinking about that align2rail thing cause I have wondered sometimes where my extruded object is while polygon wasn't placed in the beginning of the rail. And it really can jump far from the rail. Tho it was just a guess :)