PDA

View Full Version : OT: networking Panther with XP?

Johnny
04-05-2004, 06:27 PM
I've done some poking around on how to do this; I'm inexperienced with XP boxes and what the need to interact with Panther-based Macs on an ethernet setup.

Is anyone here who does this able to share how they actually do it?

What I have so far are the basics: SMB box checked in Directory Access, Windows and file sharing enabled on the Mac side, I know my Macs' IP addresses, and I think I have the PC's. Plus, I've made a workgroup on the PC.

When it comes time to mount one on the other, I get nuthin'; the Panther Mac times out trying to connect, and the PC just sits there drooling..

There are a couple of online tutorials which deal with the subject, but they all seem either to leave out key bits of info, or they assume knowledge which I just don't have.

Thanks for any tips, or pointers to more complete online how-to's!

J

Haven1000
04-06-2004, 01:57 AM
Try this application:

http://hornware.com/sharepoints/

it gives you a few more options than the standard os x sharing options, I've found it to be flawless when creating shares over afs & samba

good luck and hope this helps.

mlinde
04-06-2004, 07:46 AM
Make sure you have a set up workgroup with your XP machines, and when you go to the Network pane in Finder, look for that workgroup. Either the machine or the workgroup will show up in the Network pane. If it doesn't, try restarting the windows machine. If it still doesn't show up, log out and log back in on the mac.

Scott Gammans
04-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Sometimes it's as simple as flipping a toggle. When I first set up my mixed network (1 G5 + 4 Pentium 4's) I had to reboot my switch before everything appeared. And definitely set your PC workstations up as a single workgroup... getting Macs to cooperate in a Windows domain is much more complicated.