PDA

View Full Version : How would I map like this?

Jchriston
04-05-2004, 04:42 PM
I need to be able to map a basic model so that its polygons would be positioned on a flat plane without being resized or stretched. Ive tried using Atlas UV mapping, but I can't get the map I'm looking for.

Would it be quicker to rotate and position the polygons manually?

Thanks for any help:)

mkiii
04-05-2004, 05:22 PM
I depends what you call a basic model, but unless it is a cube or a cylinder, it is just about impossible to map an object with no distortion. Something always needs to stretch one way or another.

Most of the time I just select chunks of an object that lie in one plane or another, map them using an appropriate planar UV map & rearrange them jigsaw fashion. keeping edges as close to each other as possible, even if they are not directly stitched.

Some parts, such as a head, or legs of a character can often be cylindrically mapped, and items such as the wings of an aircraft have an obvious top & bottom that can be planar mapped.

Once you have all the bits, it is a fairly easy task to move, rotate, flip, and size them to fit within the UV map like a jigsaw. What I end up with is usually more efficient than atlas mapping, and uses bigger chunks of polys.

One trick you really should get to grips with as a major time saver, is to use the Texture guide tool numeric panel.

To use it, first create a *blank* UV map.
Select your polys - say the front half of a character,
Activate the tool (assign to a key for ease of use), and press n to get its numeric panel up.
Select the mapping type (usually planar) and axis, make sure you have Make UVs ticked, select your map from the menu & press enter. You can then rearrange the uv map as you go, starting off by moving the new polys to one side until you have all polys mapped & arranged how you want.

Use Flip UV Point map to mirror a UV selection, y to rotate, & any move or scale tool.

bluehand
04-05-2004, 11:21 PM
mk, great advice...I'm still new and very impatient when it comes to mapping out an object. I'm thinking that to map it right, I just need to be patient and grab areas and make a UV....grab some more areas and make a UV...keeping in mind how they all line up in the end. Makes sense, just detailed and some time in Photoshop, but I'm sure the end result is worth it. Any chance you might post a sample, to help guide us along....and inspire us. thanks.

Jchriston
04-06-2004, 05:10 AM
thanks, that helps alot, it is a basic model, about 35 polygons, so ill do it like you said.

mkiii
04-06-2004, 05:31 AM
Here is a partially complete example (size reduced from actual texture size) of the mapping used on the fuselage of the model you see in my avatar. The mapping is missing chunks that use another surface, but you should get the idea - nothing complex going on here. Generally, I would make more attempt to unwrap the mesh by hand where the polys are v close together, for example, where the fuselage curves over the top, but this was just a quick job.

http://www.mkiii.dsl.pipex.com/junk/fuseuv.jpg
http://www.mkiii.dsl.pipex.com/junk/fuselage-sand.jpg

Jchriston
04-06-2004, 11:47 AM
nice model and textures, however for my project i need to totally seperate every polygon (its hard to explain why) - im about half way through at the moment, it takes a while to arrange the polygons logically.
thanks

Brian Dumas
04-06-2004, 05:02 PM
MKiii

How did you extract your Polys? Or did you build it somewhere else before pulling it into LW?

BAD

mkiii
04-06-2004, 07:31 PM
JC: Sounds like atlas mapping with a manual arrange / scale / rotate is the best thing for you

Brian: Just lightwave. Select a group of polys, hit Texture guide, numeric panel, choose axis for planar uv & rearrange withing the uv map - nothing complicated.

As I said earlier, I normally do more unwrapping of the curved bits - but this (old) model is lowish res for non closeup work, so I didn't need to get carried away.