PDA

View Full Version : Squid & Octopus

Dickigeeza
04-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Ok so it wans'nt what you were expecting! but lifes full of little surprises.

Cheers Rich

Steve Reeves
04-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Hey Rich

Very impressive picture! Liked it a lot. My only question is...
why? :)

Dickigeeza
04-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Hi Steve,

As a carp angler I use the bait addative in the pic a lot. & what we carp anglers do is take photos of the better fish we might be lucky enough to catch. So in the carp angler world the more film you use suggests the more successful angler you are, (or you just like photography).

The idea behind the illo was (& it needs this catch line adding). "It's that good we should include free film with evry bottle".

Not sure if that make it any clearer or not?

Cheers anyway Rich

Steve Reeves
04-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Ah I See! Yes makes sense now - bit of an angler myself in years gone by but not really carp though - just freshwater.

It would (and presumbaly will) make an excellent advert in a carp fishing mag!

As I say beutiful pic man!

Regards

justinowens
04-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Great image...very nice models and surfacing. My only critique is that the DoF seems a bit too strong...especially if you're trying to promote that bottle (I could see a bit of blurring around the edges of the bottle, but as is the text is too hard to read).

Cheers,

-J

Dickigeeza
04-06-2004, 03:38 AM
Good point Justin,

I'll try a rerender with less DOF

Rich

gregsduncan
04-06-2004, 04:15 AM
Hi Rich - Great looking image but like Justin the DOF is toooo much - you can't read the label clearly and so us non-fishers don't know what product is in the bottle! The side says "For the sharper ?????" and I'm thinking it ain't sharp at all ! It's blurrry.

veljko
04-07-2004, 02:10 AM
very nice!

Dickigeeza
04-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Updated render with a little less DOF and I updated the bottle surface to a more Polythene/plastic material.

Rgds Rich

gregsduncan
04-08-2004, 05:20 PM
In my opinion it's much better now! Although now you have added the extra film just to be really picky (coz there's nothing else wrong with the picture and I have nothing to do right now!) I would say the opening in the film case is a bit large, would let loads of light in and ruin your film!

justinowens
04-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Very nice, that's looking really good! I think the DoF is perfect now and the surfacing of the bottle is looking even better too.

Nice job.

-J

Intuition
04-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Is this LW native DOF or is it D.confusion or maybe another plg in like Extreme DOF?

I really like the results in any case.

Dickigeeza
04-09-2004, 02:32 AM
Hi all,

I guess this should have gone in the WIP section, but I'm going to have to leave this as I need to get on with other projects. Greg I will try and sort the film case opening there is a sort of velcro type material in the slip on a real film.

Intuition this was rendered with LW's own DOF (rendered in FPrime).

Cheers for now and have a good weekend.

Rich

dwburman
04-09-2004, 08:48 AM
In the USA "Origional" is spelled "Original" I don't know if that's a typo or the just way things are done over there.

You know, color vs. colour; truck vs. lorry ;)

Have a nice day.

gregsduncan
04-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Rich - dwburman is right - UK/US spelling is the same... You have a typo on the label (unless this is in angler code)! Don't you have the LW Spellcheck plug-in? ;) Easy to do with the O right next to the I on the keyboard.

Need to correct that or put the DOF back to how it was before (or stronger) :p

Also, does the extra film mean you're an even better carp angler than when you did the first render???

gregsduncan
04-09-2004, 09:01 AM
dwburman - yeah, sometimes I have to run the US posts through Babelfish :p

Also, we do have trucks here too but I don't think you have any lorries (plural of lorry)...

dwburman
04-10-2004, 09:28 PM
heh heh
We don't have lorries. Just trucks, delivery trucks, step vans etc.

I just realized something. I don't read books much but most of what I've read (since High School anyway) was written by Brittish authors... Douglas Adams, J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis.

Dickigeeza
04-12-2004, 03:16 AM
Opps,

Well spotted chaps - luckly I made the lable as a layered PS file so that was quite a quick fix.

Cheers Rich

gregsduncan
04-12-2004, 03:26 AM
Rich - Glad it was a quick fix.

DW : One thing we use "truck" for is the engine part up front which you connect the load to. This would go with dictionary.com which says a truck is "Any of various heavy motor vehicles designed for carrying or pulling loads".

Once you have connected the load on the back it becomes a lorry :) Anyway, the word lorry is much better for tongue twisters such as "Yellow lorry, red lorry" :p

Hey - we write 'em, you make the film :p