PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 + Panther+ new plugins =? HELP

kimmybig
04-05-2004, 11:09 AM
hey there... So the company i work for just got a large job that requires modeling a pretty poly heavy lanscape scene/racetrack animation. There are only two of us working on it . It's basically a race track scene set in a mountain/ foresty area. The more realistic the better (my supervisor basically said his expectations for the quality of the animation were somewhere between a videogame and lord of the rings...not to difficult right?). Anyway one of my tasks is to find out if there are any problems with the plugins/ Programs and the new G5 i'm going to be working on to model this monster of a scene. We are picking up Vue 4 pro, ozone 2 for lightwave , sasquatch, Tree designer and leaf designer, and eki's plug pak. And of course we are getting the lightwave 8 upgrade. Plus along with the new g5 we also will have a g4 that will be working on another part of the animation. So if anyone has any words of wisdom about any of these plugins/programs. feel free to pass them on... we have 6 weeks to complete the animation. I;ll be sure to post some stuff up on the gallery when we get closer to being done... prayers and caffeine are also welcome :p :D :p

themaxx
04-05-2004, 11:25 AM
what's your address? i'll send some caffeine. ;)

best of luck.

id-box
04-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Hi

How many polygon are you be plane for the landscape ? I'm on G4 and have a big realtime landscape to do and try also to use Vue Pro but i'm not really happy with the export. I continue to turn around this soft to see if this program can help me. because i'm also a very time short to do the job ;)

For the tree i go to use Onyx tree (because vue can't export tree) and i try the evasion plug in call microwave to make a img projection of heavy polycount model but i'm not sure if for the trees its good. If someone use this plug for tree can help us ?

Thanks in advance

id-box

Julian Johnson
04-06-2004, 02:16 AM
It might be worth seeing if Richard Brak would consider an OSX port of TextureScape from Marvin Landis. Most terrain generators give you an ultra high resolution mesh in areas where it is not needed. Texturescape tesselates the terrain mesh in an adaptive way keeping the poly count as low as possible which makes your whole scene more efficient and easier to manage:

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/

http://richardbrak.net

Julian

Darth Mole
04-06-2004, 02:55 AM
Microwave can't help with the trees, I don't think - it's a surface/texture baker, which is great for things that have enormous amounts of detail - such as buildings, vehicles, characters and so on - and which, when their poly count is reduced - retain their general overall shape.

When you did a reduce poly on a tree, I guess you'd end up with a nasty lump.

I think the trick to use is a basic LOD, where the trees up close are nicely detailed models, and then anything else is a textured clip map, continually angled towards the camera. Ben Smith of StormFront did an amazing motion ride over a rich jungle canopy using this technique and it worked surprisingly well...

There's a shot of it at http://www.sfdp.co.uk/ under Projects, called 'Gorilla Safari'

kimmybig
04-06-2004, 09:59 AM
how would i go about getting the clip maps to turn towards the camera as the camera is moving?

Richard Brak
04-08-2004, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Julian Johnson
It might be worth seeing if Richard Brak would consider an OSX port of TextureScape from Marvin Landis. Most terrain generators give you an ultra high resolution mesh in areas where it is not needed. Texturescape tesselates the terrain mesh in an adaptive way keeping the poly count as low as possible which makes your whole scene more efficient and easier to manage:

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/

http://richardbrak.net

Julian

Hi Julian, A voice from the past :-) I compiled a version a long time ago for OS 9, but it appears I didn't do one for OSX (must have been pre OSX days). Since it worked for OS 9 it ,should be OK for OSX - I'll give it a go.

cheers,
Richard.

Julian Johnson
04-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Hi Richard,

That would be excellent :-). I don't know where you find the time to squeeze in all these OSX ports but I, for one, am very grateful. I can't imagine where we'd be without you..

- Julian

Richard Brak
04-09-2004, 12:03 AM
I managed to compile the plugin, BUT - it crashes Modeler :-( so there is some problem which may take a while to track down.

Richard.

lasco
04-11-2004, 10:45 AM
One comment about trees :
Tree Designer is a great tool but has a serious issue :
it creates VERY heavy models.
Which means that, especially for a real time project, you'll
have to take time to reduc your models.

On that point the advice I can give you is :
go to Flay.com and look for QEM LOSS 3

Why ?
Because QEM LOSS 2, in the standard LW edition, does not
allow to keep the UVs of trees (trunks and branchs) while they
may be very usefull…

QEM LOSS 3 keeps them

id-box
04-12-2004, 01:29 AM
Hi

Do you know another plug in to reduce polygon on OS X ? Because QemLoss 3 its not freely download or we can not buy. Just need give an object, but all my objects are for my clients and cannot give them.

thanks

id-box

David Barczak
06-04-2004, 10:25 AM
To Kimmybig, I am new to lightwave and have lightwave 8. Please be aware that if you are planning to purchase Ozone 2 that it is not compatable with Lightwave 6.5 or above and is only for the windows platform. Good luck