PDA

View Full Version : Adding RAM question

mholder
04-05-2004, 09:35 AM
I'm a novice, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using an HP XW4100 workstation and want speed my rendering times. After purchasing, and now returning, 512M of registered Ram, I realize that only unbuffered ECC ram will work. Is this correct? Before I do the buy and return dance again...will two 512M CT6472Z40B DDR PC3200, CL=3, Unbuffered ECC, DDR400, 26V, 64M x 72 work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks Again!

Bushmsn
04-05-2004, 01:02 PM
ecc is use for servers. Mostly

hrgiger
04-05-2004, 02:05 PM
RAM won't help speed up your rendering times.

JML
04-05-2004, 02:14 PM
ram can speed up your rendering time. (depends on your project size)
when you render, look at your hard drive light, if it's on a lot, it means the ram is full and it's accessing the virtual memory from the hard drive which is slower.. there, getting more ram will speed up you rendering.

Wade
04-05-2004, 04:10 PM
http://www.crucial.com

" Confused about which memory upgrade you need?
Eliminate the hassle and risk of getting the wrong memory guaranteed or your money back! In just 3 easy steps our Memory Advisor will show you exactly the right upgrade for your computer. "

Works for me - MOST manufactures have a page like this - select make then model.... :)

and for yours.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=HP%2Bxw+Workstatio ns&mfr=HP&cat=RAM&model=xw4100&submit=Go

hrgiger
04-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by jmnewtek
ram can speed up your rendering time. (depends on your project size)
when you render, look at your hard drive light, if it's on a lot, it means the ram is full and it's accessing the virtual memory from the hard drive which is slower.. there, getting more ram will speed up you rendering.

Well it isn't so much that RAM speeds up your rendering time as does having too little slows it down, there's a difference. If Lightwave isn't accessing virtural memory often, then buying more RAM isn't going to make your renders any faster.

rabid pitbull
04-06-2004, 01:09 AM
When I went from 512M to 1G ram I saw significant render increases on the benchmark scenes. Anywhere from a few seconds to a few dozen seconds. Of importance to note is that I also went from single channel to dual channel ddr400 at that time.

mholder
04-06-2004, 08:13 AM
thanks for the advice everyone! crucial.com was a simple way to find the correct ram. i also needed to cut out alot of geometry that wasn't showing up in the scene. thanks again.