PDA

View Full Version : rail extrude problem

mike_stening
04-05-2004, 04:20 AM
not having had this problem before i am a little stumped.
basically extruding a shape along a path in a background layer, worked fine but then crashed.
now when i went bakc to redo the extrude the rail exrude onyl works is 'oriented' is turned off which is pretty useless to me right now.
i have trashed prefs, changed the plugin (i am assuming it is in the extender.p file).
running on a dual1ghz g4, 10.2.8, 1.25gbram, v7.5c
any suggestions

mlinde
04-05-2004, 09:25 AM
Does your extruding object overlap itself somehow? I would expect this crash to occur if you are getting into calculations of point locations that overlap excessively. Can you post an image of the modeler windows (not too large, pelase) showing the object & rail path?

mike_stening
04-05-2004, 11:19 AM
no the points are fine as the object was imported from illustrator so as it stands it is a flat object, sat at the end of the path, extruding only fails when it is oriented, other wise it performs the function correctly, if there was a problem with the points i would imagine it wouldnt perform the extrude at all.

cheers

mlinde
04-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Try removing the extraneous points in the curve. You should only need the start, end and a few points to define the curve. Same deal with your object, if it's just a box, remove any excess points in that object (although that shouldn't affect the extrude).

strongarm27
04-05-2004, 01:21 PM
If all else fails use the origin to start a rail extrude
I have had many problems trying to do this
exact thing like you are trying to do it. If you are
not exactly at the edge of the point or overlapping
you can cause many problems. do a move to
center then Move your path over. I would check
to see if you have a overlapping polygon as this
is easy to do (pasting twice). You are not using
the center of the polygon to make the extrude
this is tricky You may want to try magic bevel as
it can give you interactive control and accomplish
the same thing if used correctly. I love that tool
many uses and comes with 7.5.

strongarm27

mike_stening
04-06-2004, 01:50 AM
cheers, i'll give them a try.
i did make the object i was after by using extender and rotate, acheived the same thing though a little slower. but will look at fixing the problem.
thanks again.