PDA

View Full Version : Had to email NEWMAGIC to get status on lw8.

Ade
04-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Us aussies didnt egt emails like rest of u, i emailed in and got this reply:

Hello Adrian,

There have been some delays (as I guess you can tell)... last minute
bugs etc...

NewTek went to gold master for production over the weekend, We expect to
see stock here in Oz in 2-3 weeks (that is current as of today)

--------------

Hopefully the wait is over, but why 2-3 weeks...
These things dont impress me one bit!

Beamtracer
04-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Ade
NewTek went to gold master for production over the weekend, We expect to
see stock here in Oz in 2-3 weeks (that is current as of today) Although Newtek hasn't named an official release date yet for LW8, the information matches what other distributors around the world have been saying.

I'd say the release is immanent. It's funny that Newtek's distributors can't keep a secret. First D-Storm, then dealers in Europe, now New Magic in Australia.

Originally posted by Ade
Hopefully the wait is over, but why 2-3 weeks...
These things dont impress me one bit!
The Aussie distributor you mention (New Magic) probably takes an extra 2 weeks to get supplies down under. From what I've heard they are a pretty small operation, running out of someone's bedroom in a house somewhere on the outskirts of Sydney. Then again, aren't they the same people who quoted you $100 for fast postage?

Ade
04-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Probably Riki,

Actually Newmagic is in Melbourne i have been there and is a respected office established for over 10 years i think.
Newmagic in OZ is good and healthy, well in melbourne..They do get back to u asap which I like alot. I just wish the damn thing would go official.

jin choung
04-05-2004, 04:07 AM
actually,

i think it's a helluva disservice to prepaid customers that they don't reveal the imminent release when the app went gold for heaven's sake.

that's inexcusable in my book.

i hope in the future, they announce to the community when the app passes the point of no return and goes gold... take a cue from the gamedev community....

jin

Beamtracer
04-05-2004, 05:28 AM
Hey, Jin,

Don't worry. Lightwave 8 will be out really soon. I think the worldwide distributors are right to have their party on April 15. That's not long to wait now.

Come on, nobody's complaining about Microsoft which is running 7 years late with the Longhorn OS. Newtek is only 3.5 months late on their original estimation. Considering the mountains they had to climb, it's not too bad.

Original1
04-05-2004, 05:46 AM
As of this moment Newtek are less than 5 days late from their end of Q1 shipping date. This is hardly cause to throw your toys out of the pram!

Chill guys I'd rather have a stable version, I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

nt65
04-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Does anyone know if there is goin to be a new gui front end?
There were soo many threads about 8 months ago about a new look.
At this stage, I cant wait for the release, but just a simple question if anyone knows.
Thanks in advance.

Skritter
04-05-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Ade
Probably Riki,

Actually Newmagic is in Melbourne i have been there and is a respected office established for over 10 years i think.
Newmagic in OZ is good and healthy, well in melbourne..They do get back to u asap which I like alot. I just wish the damn thing would go official.

Just to straighten out a point, Head office is in Sydney with an out post in Melbourne

:rolleyes: NSW Head Office: Jannali, NSW, 2226

:rolleyes: Melbourne Office: Belgrave, Vic, 3160

:p

Paul_Boland
04-05-2004, 12:59 PM
LIGHTWAVE 8 HAS GONE GOLD!!!
:D

Excellent news!!

themaxx
04-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Original1
As of this moment Newtek are less than 5 days late from their end of Q1 shipping date.

i must've missed something. the last official release date i heard from newtek was Q4 2003.

Wade
04-05-2004, 01:22 PM
It is not on my radar as of yet but hope it shows soon. ;)

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLocalWide.asp?seg=LocalWeather&loc=ksat&prodgrp=RadarImagery&product=Radar&prodnav=none&pid=none

lonestar1
04-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by jin choung
actually,

i think it's a helluva disservice to prepaid customers that they don't reveal the imminent release when the app went gold for heaven's sake.

that's inexcusable in my book.

i hope in the future, they announce to the community when the app passes the point of no return and goes gold... take a cue from the gamedev community....

Do you have any idea how software development works?

This isn't electroplating. The software is not sitting in a vat of solution just waiting to "go gold" after a set amount of time.

Instead, you have a development team that's frantically trying to fix bugs and producing builds that are passed to QA for testing. These builds are called "release candidates." When one of the candidates passes all tests, there will be a release meeting where everyone signs off on it. That is when the software "goes gold."

It is *impossible* to know in advance which release candidate will pass all the tests and be accepted. If you knew that, there would be no point in running the tests.

Assuming the information from the distributor is right, then LW 8 went gold over the weekend. That means a major portion of the Lightwave team, including all the managers who need to sign off on a release, were working over the weekend trying to get the software out for you.

So, how do you respond to this? Do you thank them for putting in the extra hours?

No, you crap all over them because they haven't gotten a press release out yet.

Nice.

NanoGator
04-05-2004, 01:42 PM
@lonestar1: Listen dude, for the prepaid people, it's not a matter of being mad about the delay or the realities of software development, it's the lack of info about it while our $500 is in limbo. An email saying "Its gold!" would have been quite thoughtful of Newtek.

lonestar1
04-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by NanoGator
@lonestar1: Listen dude, for the prepaid people, it's not a matter of being mad about the delay or the realities of software development, it's the lack of info about it while our $500 is in limbo. An email saying "Its gold!" would have been quite thoughtful of Newtek.

Yes, they should have called in their entire customer service staff to get emails out over the weekend. Never mind the cost or any personal plans people might have. Newtek employees aren't allowed to have personal lives, and this couldn't possibly wait til Monday.

Get a grip, guys. :)

NanoGator
04-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by lonestar1
Yes, they should have called in their entire customer service staff to get emails out over the weekend. Never mind the cost or any personal plans people might have. Newtek employees aren't allowed to have personal lives, and this couldn't possibly wait til Monday.

Get a grip, guys. :)

They were able to send out an email saying they'd have it by December 31st. Sorry, not a good argument. A simple post to CGTalk and Newtek's forums would have sufficed.

tjacobs
04-05-2004, 02:55 PM
There are too many rumors going around for me to trust that it has gone GOLD. I hope it has, but I will not believe it until Chuck says that it is so.

petermark
04-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Twould be cool if it has... I also await confirmation...

:rolleyes:

Beamtracer
04-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Worldwide summary of Lightwave 8 release clues:

from Newtek (Texas) website
(re: Lightwave / RealViz bundle)
"The special offer is available through the day LightWave 3D [8] begins to ship, in North America and from participating international distributors for NewTek."

from New Magic (Australia) website
"Due to popular demand NewTek have extended the LightWave bonus DFX (PC) or RealViz (Mac) promotion until June 30th 2004"
http://www.newmagic.com.au/NM_pages/news/articles/article_030923_LW_offer.html

from D-Storm (Japan) website
"D-Storm... at 2004 April 15th at Club Shibuya, we hold Launch Party!"

Here's my theory. LW8 went gold master last weekend. It takes a week or so to press thousands of CDs. That brings us to the mid-April official launch parties. Existing orders probably will ship first. New orders may ship in June. That's my take on it all.

Karmacop
04-05-2004, 06:13 PM
I have on good authority that it takes Newtek days to press cds and print manuals, not weeks ...

newagetitan
04-05-2004, 06:22 PM
I am getting dizzy. Somebody please let me off this ride. :D

Ade
04-05-2004, 10:12 PM
In the end it all betetr be worth it on the mac side.
I hope there were atleast some Open Gl optimisations and it is more mac friendly code wise so we can get more those 3rd party plugs over with no hasstle.

None of this was answered or addressed in many requests to Newtek.

jin choung
04-05-2004, 10:50 PM
lonestar,

you're the one who should chill and get a grip.

i am not commenting at all about how long it took for them to GO gold.

but WHEN IT HAPPENED, when everybody DID sign off on it, it wouldn't have been a big deal to put a SINGLE POST ON THE FORUMS that lw 8 went gold.

all of 1 fing minute.

jin

archiea
04-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Then again, maybe its just that lw hasn't gone gold master....

lonestar1
04-06-2004, 02:27 AM
but WHEN IT HAPPENED, when everybody DID sign off on it, it wouldn't have been a big deal to put a SINGLE POST ON THE FORUMS that lw 8 went gold.

all of 1 fing minute.

Assuming Newtek puts no more thought into its corporate communications than you put into your flames -- which I doubt.

You don't know how big a deal it is or isn't. Assuming LW 8 really did go golden last weekend, people were probably working 80 hours to get it out. You might cut them a little slack.

You might be in the same position yourself some day. How would you want customers to treat you?

jin choung
04-06-2004, 02:49 AM
lonestar,

you silly silly nit of a twit...

you want a flame? i'll give you a flame:

you are the one who doesn't have a valid idea in his vacuous little head. you are the one who doesn't have any idea what the hell goes on - either in public relations or in software development. you are the one who doesn't have a particle of good sense enough to allow that others may have a valid point that's contrary to what you happen to believe and just leave it at that....

and where DO you pick up your beliefs eh? what is your particular brand of expertise that you speak on such matter so authoritatively.

as for how i would want my customers to treat me, if i were so bold as to TAKE THEIR MONEY MONTHS IN ADVANCE, DELAY THE ETA AND THEN LET THEM FLOUNDER IN WONDER FOR MONTHS MORE, I WOULD EXPECT THAT THEY WOULD WANT A G D Mer Fing GONE GOLD ANNOUNCEMENT WHEN IT FINALLY COMES TO PASS... dum a....

pray that you never have to deal with customer relations d s... at least newtek does not try to defend indefensible positions. your 'special' brand of production philosophy would drive a business into the ground with the finality of a stake... if you haven't done so already.

jin

p.s. and don't go crying to mommy... you're the one that started with the insults. you f with a trap you get the teeth. boom.

retinajoy
04-06-2004, 03:22 AM
Well. If LW8 has gone Gold, then I would presume that they would rather do a big marketing push and announcement together rather than a premature message in a forum.

TyVole
04-06-2004, 05:40 AM
Jin,

Kudos -- finally someone stood up to that obnoxious, pig-headed bully, who posts only insulting, imflamatory remarks.

But he really isn't worth your time -- you'd do better doing what I just did -- add him to your ignore list. ;)

Beamtracer
04-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by TyVole
you'd do better doing what I just did -- add him to your ignore list. ;) Yes, Jin and Lonestar. You both often have great posts, but you may be better off pressing the "ignore" button for eachother.

I have no inside info, but I believe that Lightwave 8 has gone gold master. I think the Newtek people have been working around the clock to get this out.

I'm sure everyone would like an official announcement at each milestone of development, but I think most software companies don't do it. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear something in the coming days.

I wonder if the Newtek staff will be allowed to take their vacation after the release of LW8?

mkiii
04-06-2004, 06:31 AM
Agreed... Cmon Jin - they'll only ban you again :eek:

Lonestar: Give it a rest with the attacks on *everyone* who has the audacity to question the way Newtek are handling this will you, it's getting as old as the criticism.

I work for a software dev studio & I know the problems & late hours that people have to work. However, I do know that not everyone is working full on at the final hurdle. There will always be someone not directly involved in the production or coding that can spare a few minutes to make an announcement.

However, I am of the opinion that we won't hear anything until the day they start shipping.

Just remember - we are customers not Newtek employees, and we don't need a constant barrage of apologist attacks any more than we need a constant stream of abuse against the company..

:rolleyes:

retinajoy
04-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
I wonder if the Newtek staff will be allowed to take their vacation after the release of LW8?

No holiday allowed until the SDK works 100% with FPrime!!! :D :D :D

phil lawson
04-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Would be nice to get it next Monday, cus I'm off work Monday and Tuesday for Easter :D.

Cheers.

mcewan7
04-06-2004, 07:22 AM
Phil, trouble is I don't think couriers work on bank holidays? Would be great tho :cool:

phil lawson
04-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by mcewan7
Phil, trouble is I don't think couriers work on bank holidays? Would be great tho :cool:

They'll just have to drop it off this Thursday then :D ;)

Barred
04-06-2004, 08:28 AM
You mean courriers work? :D

anieves
04-06-2004, 09:32 AM
between this and Lee's ebay listing thread it seems like a bunch of 5 year olds are fighting in the sand box:mad:

NanoGator
04-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Assuming Newtek puts no more thought into its corporate communications than you put into your flames -- which I doubt.

You don't know how big a deal it is or isn't. Assuming LW 8 really did go golden last weekend, people were probably working 80 hours to get it out. You might cut them a little slack.

You might be in the same position yourself some day. How would you want customers to treat you?

Don't belittle my annoyance. You'd be mad too if you loaned me $500, and it took twice as long as I said it would to pay you back. Doubly so if I wasn't telling you what was going on.

You're thinking so much about newtek's side that you're completly ignoring the feelings of the people who invested early. $500 vanished. Disappeared. No trace.

Paul_Boland
04-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Just to add a little spice to the topic, I bought issue 51 of 3D World magazine today. In the Next Issue section, it states in the reviews section;

"Experts offer their verdicts on Lightwave 8."

So next issue, a Lightwave 8 review.

That issue goes on sale the 30th of April.

Jockomo
04-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Slack was cut in January.

All Chuck has to do is make an appearance and tell us what is going on. That is what annoys me the most. I can understand if he doesn't want to give an estimated date, but it is really annoying when some people get an email saying they are ready to ship and need to verify post addresses and some don't.
They should have my email address, I verified all of that information when they gave away the free UV plugin. Why do some get information and others don't? What would it hurt to take 10 minutes to make a post about who should get that email?

If they are having problems with the release, I know I am alot more likely to give them a break if they just say so. But to do something like: let us believe it is about to release (december) and then suddenly the date has slipped a little, and then now 3 months later we are still wondering when it is coming out makes iit look like they don't know what is going on. That's the kind of thing that worries me. Personally I think it makes them look much worse than anything they could announce as the reason for the delay.

So honestly, I hope NewTek takes all the time they need to get this release right. I just wish they would tell us what is happening.

lonestar1
04-06-2004, 01:40 PM
you are the one who doesn't have any idea what the hell goes on - either in public relations or in software development.

I have done both professionally.

Again, you know not what you speak of.

you are the one who doesn't have a particle of good sense enough to allow that others may have a valid point that's contrary to what you happen to believe and just leave it at that....

I do allow you to make valid points. I even allow you to make invalid spurious points.

That doesn't mean I have no right to comment on them.

Freedom of speech is not just for people who agree with you, Jin.

as for how i would want my customers to treat me, if i were so bold as to TAKE THEIR MONEY MONTHS IN ADVANCE, DELAY THE ETA

And you think they did that all on purpose? The programmers want to be putting in 80-hour weeks to complete a product that's overdue?

Be thankful it's only money. I could strap you into an ejection seat and show you what it's like to risk more than a few dollars. In aviation, there's a saying: "There's no place you absolutely have to be today." Many people have ignored it and many have died as a result.

My mother was in and out of the hospital for three years before she died. Each time the doctors offered a prognosis, and each time, they were wrong. Never did I, my mother, or anyone in my family whine about the doctors the way you guys whine about Newtek.

You're out $500 because you placed an advanced order and it hasn't arrived yet? If that's the worst thing you have to complain about, count your blessings.

NanoGator
04-06-2004, 01:58 PM
For me, it's not. I went unemployed after purchasing it. $500 means another month of living in a house, and I don't even have LW8 to show for it. Never mind that the agreement was that I'd have it by Xmas.

lonestar1
04-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by NanoGator
For me, it's not. I went unemployed after purchasing it. $500 means another month of living in a house, and I don't even have LW8 to show for it.

In which case, the logical thing would have been to call Newtek and cancel your order. Complaining doesn't pay the rent.

Never mind that the agreement was that I'd have it by Xmas.

If you have such an agreement, you could take Newtek to court for breech of contract. You'd have to show the agreement, of course.

I doubt you had one, though. Even the initial estimate was delivery by end of Q4, which is six days past Christmas -- and an estimate is not the same as an agreement.

danilo
04-06-2004, 02:13 PM
You're out $500 because you placed an advanced order and it hasn't arrived yet? If that's the worst thing you have to complain about, count your blessings.

In this place-yes,that is worst thing I have to complain abouth.
If Newtek knows the day of release,and don't want to announce it-that is irresponsible!
If they don't know it yet-THAT IS SCARRY!
danilo

jin choung
04-06-2004, 02:35 PM
y'know what good intentions buy you?

two things:

jack and [email protected]#$.

if you believe that INTENT can mollify failure....

i'd continue calling ya names but i'm done with you... so much so that i couldn't even get myself to address you by name.

you claim the high road now.... claim maturity... claim the voice of reason... oh man... it's like shoving somebody and then screaming that you're a hemophiliac....

so you've done public relations eh?

good luck with that.

jin

lonestar1
04-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by danilo
If Newtek knows the day of release,and don't want to announce it-that is irresponsible!
If they don't know it yet-THAT IS SCARRY!

When did Newtek say they know the day of the release and don't what to announce it?

Either LW 8 went golden, or it didn't. If it did, they're probably working on an announcement right now. If it didn't, then they won't know the date until it does.

You guys scare too easily. The pilot has the plane under control. Go back to your seats and have another drink.

Except for Jin, who's had so many that he wants to fist fight me. :)

NanoGator
04-06-2004, 03:23 PM
In which case, the logical thing would have been to call Newtek and cancel your order. Complaining doesn't pay the rent.

If you have such an agreement, you could take Newtek to court for breech of contract. You'd have to show the agreement, of course.

I doubt you had one, though. Even the initial estimate was delivery by end of Q4, which is six days past Christmas -- and an estimate is not the same as an agreement.

Didn't cancel because they kept saying 'real soon!' Finally got sick of it.

No no no, we're not talking estimate, we're talking *promise*. In Oct they sent out an email saying "we will have it within 72 days". Not an estimate. A commitment. For the record, I'm not angry about that today. Since then, Newtek has apologized and made good on it. I think the impression is that I'm still hopping mad about it. I'm not, I'm cool with it. I'd rather have a stable product. I'm just annoyed that some people just don't see the reason why anybody should be annoyed by that. Don't be dense, man, you'd have been annoyed too.

Beamtracer
04-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Jin, Lonestar, please stop reacting to eachother's posts. I don't want to see you get banned. Maybe that would happen if the argument continues. There's no point getting banned. It doesn't serve any purpose. I hope you both ignore each other's torments from now on. It's not worth reacting.

Ade
04-06-2004, 06:19 PM
*throws the first chair through the window in the anger...

Let the riots begin.

riki
04-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Hey Beam, time to get a new avatar mate. I really hate that gay rainbow spinning circle. It usually means my Mac's frozen up. :D

Steve McRae
04-06-2004, 07:33 PM

NanoGator
04-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by atomman

Sorry, I can't read messages embedded in micro-dots. :D

Ade
04-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Riki I think Beam is trying to make a statement on the availability of LW8 thus far..
Kinda suits the mood.

Beamtracer
04-06-2004, 08:49 PM
I thought about remaking the avatar, but only to improve the current one. It's pretty impossible to get a screen grabbed animation of the spinning beach ball.

Ade, you should check that office of New Magic and see if it is still there. Are you sure they aren't operating out of a bedroom these days?

D-Storm seems to be a much bigger operation. They have a higher than average percentage of Lightwave sales, they create various asian language versions of Lightwave, they're prolific plug-in writers, and they have inputted a large amount of code for Lightwave 8. They also have that party on April 15 to celebrate the release of Lightwave!!!

jorbedo
04-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Anybody wants to add his name to the next Lightwave 9 upgrade list?, If you want you can start ordering Lightwave 9 upgrade right now and keep waiting until 6th quarter of 2005 (jeje!).

If you want, please contact Newtek Pro magazine sales department, looks like they are the ones behind the upgrades policy of NT.

Anybodddyyy?

petermark
04-06-2004, 11:07 PM
I'll pre-pay for LW9... if it comes with Combustion!

DarrellV
04-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Hey there...

Just a note on that email from New Magic... (as it originated from from me)... Please note that the info in that email was "best guess" and is within the opinion of New Magic based on current information at the time..

LW8 is close YES, but please don't take my info as a concrete gospel, 100% sure thing that on day "zero" in three weeks from my post that LightWave V8 will be at your door.. Within the whole manufacturing process of a product there are countless things that can "hold up" shipping and often they come from the least expected parts of the process.

And why a few more weeks? Consider when that beta testers are done and sign off on the current build (called a release candidate) it is then normal practise for a company to put the software (or hardware) through internal quality control "QC" (This is something you DO NOT want them to rush), after QC a gold master CD is made and sent for replication, then you are at the mercy of the CD replicators and manual printer/production company..

I know you are all eager beavers and the wait is almost over.. hang tight... this is always the hardest part waiting for the final product to ship..

Be assured NewTek want to give you the best product possible and they have worked very hard for you all, this does take time.....

In the meantime I say to people to read all the LW8 materials on the NewTek site and study the V8 videos so when you get the SW you will be ready to make the most of your initial product experience and induction.

Best Regards,

Ade
04-06-2004, 11:19 PM
I thought about remaking the avatar, but only to improve the current one. It's pretty impossible to get a screen grabbed animation of the spinning beach ball.

Ade, you should check that office of New Magic and see if it is still there. Are you sure they aren't operating out of a bedroom these days?

D-Storm seems to be a much bigger operation. They have a higher than average percentage of Lightwave sales, they create various asian language versions of Lightwave, they're prolific plug-in writers, and they have inputted a large amount of code for Lightwave 8. They also have that party on April 15 to celebrate the release of Lightwave!!!

This could all be saved if Newtek created an ONLINE store.
Newmagic doesnt seem very active in the public sense but Mark has told me they contribute and advertise in other ways like exposure at shows and mags etc..
I just think they should work with the lightwave OZ web and create a proper lightwave australia web page, rather than the lost catalog type web page newmagic is.

YOU have to actually dig deep to find they sell Lightwave.

riki
04-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Hey
DarrellV good to see you about the Newtek Forums, I think I bought my first copy of Lightwave through you.

Best

r

DarrellV
04-07-2004, 12:17 AM
Throws dummy from pram:

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on a few levels, Just to rebuttal on your post(s) (with the greatest respect)..

From Beamtracers post: D-Storm seems to be a much bigger operation. They have a higher than average percentage of LightWave sales, they create various Asian language versions of LightWave

** New Magic / D-Storm: Firstly New Magic is a distributor, D-Storm is a distributor "AND" a manufacture with engineers and many many staff and YES correct the D-Storm team have given great input into V8 (they are amazing people)... So its unlikely New Magic will be "producing" any plug-in's in the near future... In the past New Magic has distributed plug ins however the nature of direct web on-line sales by almost all plug in makers makes this unattractive and not viable for New Magic to do.

From your post Ade: Newmagic doesn't seem very active in the public sense but Mark has told me they contribute and advertise in other ways like exposure at shows and mags etc..

** Actually we are very active with full page LightWave magazine adverts in DMW, VC mags and alike... We regularly work with the mags to make sure editorial happens where and when possible, FYI: in "most" (not all) cases we run more LightWave Adverts than most other dists associated with the product. New Magic / NewTek is and has been also a big sponsor of the AEAF and other industry events. Additionally in the past we have worked with magazines like Design Graphics to do "user" stories with our local LightWave users...

From your post Ade: I just think they should work with the LightWave OZ web and create a proper LightWave Australia web page, rather than the lost catalogue type web page newmagic is.

** I have personally been Involved with LightWaveOz since it began and New Magic has always supported them, New Magic has always offered prizes for LWOz competitions. Additionally I have helped many people from LWOz find work in the industry or direct them to LW learning institutions.

From your post Ade: YOU have to actually dig deep to find they sell LightWave.
** LightWave is almost always on the home page of www.newmagic.com.au if not from the home page select "Products" and then choose form "alphabetical" products listing (TIP: Look under "L" for LightWave) "or" choose "supplier" (TIP: Look under "N" for NewTek") "or" look at the product pull down "Animation and FX software" (you will see LightWave listed) "or" when you get to the home page click on the "NewTek" logo on the bottom of the page (it takes you to LightWave or Video Toaster).

As a distributor we work very hard for NewTek and our LightWave / Toaster users and we always strive to do better, we now have Sydney and Melbourne offices and 15 years in the industry our support and commitment to our customers and NewTek remain at 1000%

Best Regards,

Karmacop
04-07-2004, 01:02 AM
I'd just like to say that Darrell and New Magic are great and I agree with all the points he's raised. Their website has been a bit dodgy in the past (years ago) but i think it's great now. :)

Beamtracer
04-07-2004, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by DarrellV
** New Magic / D-Storm: Firstly New Magic is a distributor, D-Storm is a distributor "AND" a manufacture with engineers and many many staff I didn't expect that New Magic should start writing plug-ins like D-Storm. It was just to illustrate that D-Storm is a large company, while New Magic seems to be run out of a bedroom in a house on the fringes of a city.

Originally posted by Ade
Newmagic doesn't seem very active in the public sense but Mark has told me they contribute and advertise in other ways like exposure at shows and mags etc. I especially liked New Magic's Lightwave8/RealViz promotion. Well, there was none.

There was no mention on New Magic's website about this promotion, until the original expiry date of the promotion had passed, when a note was placed in a sidebar of an inner webpage that said the DFX+/RealViz offer had been extended. That was it.

Originally posted by DarrellV
Just a note on that email from New Magic... (as it originated from from me)... Please note that the info in that email was "best guess" and is within the opinion of New Magic based on current information at the time..

LW8 is close YES, but please don't take my info as a concrete gospel, 100% sure thing that on day "zero" in three weeks from my post that LightWave V8 will be at your door. I will take that to mean that Lightwave 8 has definitely passed "Gold Master" stage. All that is left now is for mass pressing of CDs and printing of manuals.

kcole
04-07-2004, 05:38 AM
Sorry, I've spent my entire professional life in commercial software, and can't let these pass:

"Consider when that beta testers are done and sign off on the current build (called a release candidate) it is then normal practise for a company to put the software (or hardware) through internal quality control "QC"
This is quite backwards. All builds normally go through internal QC FIRST, then to the beta testers. While beta testers are chewing on one build, internal QC will be looking at the next build, or the next several. Many companies don't even send the final build to beta testers.

After QC a gold master CD is made and sent for replication, then you are at the mercy of the CD replicators and manual printer/production companys
If this is the case, they need to switch replicators. I have been involved in small runs (20K or so) up to multiple millions, and replication has never been an issue. The first discs are out of the factory the next day, and if you go with a house that can manage your volume, nothing should take more than a week.

Specifically, I've been involved in tax software, so it also amuses me when people matter-of-factly state that software releases can't be predicted, and release dates "always" slip. I wish! Year after year, every one of our products shipped exactly on time, every time. If not, we would have been out of business - the tax man waits for no one.

So, it can be done. This is not to be taken as a slam on NewTek - there are many times that we would have loved a few more weeks to ensure a better product, and I'm sure that's what they're doing.

mrunion
04-07-2004, 07:28 AM
kcole:

Thanks for that! I also AM NOT slamming NewTek. I too am a software developer (have been doing it for 19 years). While NewTek is indeed a special case, the general consensus of many here is that software development is an inexact science with low expectations for deliverables.

Simply not true. In the real world you make your deadlines, you learn to estimate accurately, or you go the way of the dinosaurs.

And don't pull the "Microsoft does it" stuff. They are in a different world -- and they have the MONEY to handle whatever they need to.

Respectfully written, and NO SLAMS intended.

DarrellV
04-07-2004, 07:51 AM
QUOTE]Originally posted by Beamtracer
I didn't expect that New Magic should start writing plug-ins like D-Storm. It was just to illustrate that D-Storm is a large company, while New Magic seems to be run out of a bedroom in a house on the fringes of a city. [/QUOTE]

DV: New Magic does not run from a Bedroom in a House, and if it did I don't know how we service a few thousand dealers nationally. New Magic (admin) does run from a corporate style house and we also have an "additional" warehouse facility. I wonder if I came into your work place and started to bag you and your company how you would feel? (please ponder that)

I especially liked New Magic's Lightwave8/RealViz promotion. Well, there was none. There was no mention on New Magic's website about this promotion, until the original expiry date of the promotion had passed, when a note was placed in a sidebar of an inner webpage that said the DFX+/RealViz offer had been extended. That was it. [/B]

DV: We actually did a fair amount of dealer promotion for this deal, posted the info on LWOz and National advertising, if you would like me to mail you some magazines with the adverts no problem.

I will take that to mean that Lightwave 8 has definitely passed "Gold Master" stage. All that is left now is for mass pressing of CDs and printing of manuals. [/B]

DV: Don't assume anything, I did use the word "EXPECT" in my original post..

Ade
04-07-2004, 07:56 AM
I once went to Malvern Newmagic, wasnt a bad place, saw some old Amiga memorabilia there in the back too.

DarrellV
04-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by kcole
Sorry, I've spent my entire professional life in commercial software, and can't let these pass:

Kcole, your feedback is respected, just keep in mind I did try to keep my explanation as basic (watered down) as possible... I can tell you also in the past with myslef being involved with a mid sized-large Japanese computer company (no not dstorm) they also do beta then QC then production... but not every company is the same...

Best Regards,

Chuck
04-07-2004, 09:29 AM
Not to deny or confirm anything in the rumor mill, but the fact is that it is not unusual to go through more than one gold master candidate before QC finally proves one for the shipping gold master. The fact is that there is a QC process that has to occur after beta, during the creation of the shipping version of product.

Thanks for dropping in, Darrell! Hope things are going great Down Under!

Ade
04-07-2004, 09:36 AM
As I said......June ......In my hands.....:D

Skritter
04-07-2004, 09:48 AM
June...Yes!! ...But what Year?

KillMe
04-07-2004, 10:41 AM
:(

Jockomo
04-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
Not to deny or confirm anything in the rumor mill, but the fact is that it is not unusual to go through more than one gold master candidate before QC finally proves one for the shipping gold master. The fact is that there is a QC process that has to occur after beta, during the creation of the shipping version of product.

Thanks for dropping in, Darrell! Hope things are going great Down Under!

Gee Chuck, would it kill ya to deny or confirm the rumor mill and tell us what exactly is going on?

::gets out his NewTek decoder ring::

lonestar1
04-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by kcole
This is quite backwards. All builds normally go through internal QC FIRST, then to the beta testers.

I think what he meant was, it goes to final QC after beta test, not that QC starts then.

If this is the case, they need to switch replicators. I have been involved in small runs (20K or so) up to multiple millions, and replication has never been an issue. The first discs are out of the factory the next day, and if you go with a house that can manage your volume, nothing should take more than a week.

The output of modern disc replication facilities is pretty amazing, but printing is a whole 'nother matter. There are a lot more process steps and a lot more physical labor involved. (Compare the weight of a CD to a Lightwave manual. :-)

Specifically, I've been involved in tax software, so it also amuses me when people matter-of-factly state that software releases can't be predicted, and release dates "always" slip. I wish! Year after year, every one of our products shipped exactly on time, every time. If not, we would have been out of business - the tax man waits for no one.

Tax software is different. You're incorporating changes to the tax laws, but you aren't likely to be implementing new experimental algorithms. Apart from ambiguities in the tax laws, the rules for adding up deductions are clear cut. How to efficiently calculate soft-body dynamics, on the other hand, is an R&D problem.

cherishjoo
05-07-2017, 09:16 AM
While we are doing the rapid prototyping, we are required to add plating effect to the prototypes. However, not all the materials can be plated. Generally, materials that can be plated are ABS, and of course, parts from vacuum casting can be plated as well. Prototype models made by SLA is not suitable for plating, even you do it, the effect is poor.

pinkmouse
05-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Did you really mean to reply to this 14 year old thread? :D

SBowie
05-08-2017, 08:00 AM
My, how time flies ...

inkpen3d
05-08-2017, 09:14 AM
“Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy