PDA

View Full Version : Alien Ships Gathering Over Europa...

Steve Reeves
04-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi all,

Spaceship time again :)

With the exception of the Europa map (that is courtesy of Bj÷rn Jˇnsson - http://www.mmedia.is/~bjj/) everything was done with LW7.5c, IFW2 Textures and Photoshop.

Appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Regards

Steve Reeves
04-04-2004, 01:01 PM
Sorry folks, somehow my iamge didn't post.

Darth Mole
04-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Well, for starters, you don't have shadows turned on, that's why everything looks flat. Then you need to look at your lighting. It looks like you have one direct light and ambient lighting turned way up. Knock it down to a low figure like 5% or less.

Then you should think about the lighting that's there: the sun wouldn't be as bright out by Jupiter, so crank it down a bit, maybe add some yellow. Then what about the reflected light from Europa itslef, or the from blue/purple backdrop?

Then you need to add a little bump mapping to your textures, as the surfaces look perfectly flat. Also, there's no variation in the diffuse or specular shading across a surface so it all looks like it's made from one sheet of plastic or something... And that makes the ships look small. And how about a few running lights while we're on?

No offence, but this should really be in the Work-in-Progress section...

Dave Bowers
04-05-2004, 06:27 AM
Chill dude, one persons finished piece of work is anothers animatic.

You can't learn how to make photorealistic in a day!

Andrew Sweet
04-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Nice comment darth........have any work to show?

IgnusFast
04-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Why're you guys beating up on Darth? Steve asked for C&C, and that's what he got. Maybe it was a little overwhelming, but I wouldn't take his comments as a complete kick to the junk...

shaol
04-05-2004, 10:29 AM
I agree with darth if your going with photo look but you need to work on the lights your in space it would be darker out ther and you need to bring some depth with the correct lighting will help. I under stand the planet not yours but your using it and it looks like it made out of plastick and should be fixed ( cut back on the gloss ). is your planet a moon if not somekind of atmophere would be nice
anyway I like what you have :)

Steve Reeves
04-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Hi all

Many thanks for the feedback - all of it!! I do appreciate the honesty and no offence is taken at all.

Right, got home early tonight, so got a few hours to have a go at addressing the problems.

Give me a couple of evenings and I'll post progress over in the WIP section.

Thanks again.

Darth Mole
04-06-2004, 05:37 AM
They guy asked for comments; he got them. If he works on the areas I mentioned - all sensible, I thought - his image will be about 400% better, and I look forward to seeing what improvements he can make.

I thought he whole point of this forum was to provide honest criticsm to help people. I could have kissed *** and said "Woah dude! Your SF pic ROCKS!" but I'd be lying.

Steve Reeves
04-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Hey Darth, I've posted an 'improved version' over in WIP.

Appreciate your thoughts on the changes so far. I have a few more things to change but it's making progress.

Thanks.