PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 3d Package

LudWig222
04-04-2004, 12:14 PM
I know somewhere this probably has been talked about, but I am a small independent videographer who is looking to learn a
3d package to enhance my videos. I am new to the 3d scene and
am not a extremly good artist either.
However I am looking for a package that is easy to learn and that I can do anything I want including (modeling,special fx,explosions ect.)

I have tried maya learning and way too complicated, I have been working with 3ds max and its complicated but am learning some slowly.

I just want to make sure I am choosing the right application before I find out I am waisting countless hours trying to learn the wrong program for what I want to use it for.

I am a one man show, so no production crews.

Thanks for your time.

mkiii
04-04-2004, 07:56 PM
So you are using Max already & you want to know from a LW forum if that was a good choice?

Obviously we are going to say get Lightwave. It's the best value. Whatever you decide on, you will have to learn it well, and practise until you ache.

FWIW I think Maya is too complex for a beginner & you have to spend some serious cash to get the Unlimited version with the bells & whistles - ditto for XSI, but even more expensive (v nice looking app tho). Max - I hate Max, and have to use it at work. Some swear by it, probably because they have only ever used Max. Max is also too expensive.

I quite like Cinema4d, and it's base package is v cheap. Unfortunately, to get it up to the a similar spec as LW, you really need to buy the Studio bundle, which once again costs more than lightwave.

LW has one further advantage over some of the other apps, and that is a simple license transfer to a new user if you made a mistake & want to sell it. Try doing that with Max.

All these Apps, including LW have some sort of demo package available - so no reason not to download them all & try em.

Mind you, if you have already paid for a copy of Max - you ain't gonna be able to sell it - so unless you have the cash to pay for another app, you are stuck with it.

LudWig222
04-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Well the reason I was posting here is because I wanted somones opinion who knows both programs. I heard that lightwave is supposed to be easier to learn, but im not sure. I dont really care if its better than max or not. I know they are both good programs.

Im looking for shortest learning curve I guess.

meshmaster
04-05-2004, 12:41 PM
is do you like icons and a history stack thingy, which is what 3dsmax offers, or do you want a streamlined ui with no icons and better point manipulation, and renderer out of the box, which is what lightwave has to offer.

prospector
04-05-2004, 01:42 PM
I am a small independent videographer who is looking to learn a 3d package to enhance my videos

As a videographer, a 3D package is not all that is involved in sprucing up your videos.
Having been in this buisness since '92, I have seen alot of things come and go, that was suppose to help us (videographers) get Hollywood type productions with little or no knowledge of the basics.

Now take this for what it's worth to you, but having been with Newtek products for 12 years I may be biased but I wouldn't think so.

In looking at 3D programs, you have to look at the ways in which you get them to your film.

They pretty much all do AVI or QT, but do they all render full uncompressed?
Will they do any animation you can possably think of?
How do they do Titling? (Volumetric lights that aren't fake?)
Can they be seamlessly intigrated into your system?
Can they composit the 3D into regular film and have good results?

Take a look at the people who are using the program and what they are doing with it. (somewhere on this site is a partial listing of films and TV shows using LW)
compare them to others.
Keeping in mind the local companies (maby your cable or local TV station) that also put out thier work and don't get the 'Big' mentions.

So if you are looking to really spruce up your videos (maby weddings, local company inhouse training tapes, local people who want to do help tapes for thier product, your local TV or cable company, or even if you want to do a new thingy that is taking off, Video Karaoki shops), then I would 'suggest' the VT3.
This comes with 'everything' you could need to do 99.99% of what you would run into.
AND ...right out of the box.

And it comes with LW.

And another important facit to look at...do the others have a support system like this forum where you can get a myriad of ways to do what you are asking about?

And if you buy before LW8 comes out then do the others give you programs like DFX or the other one (forget) for the Mac?
both worth thier weight on thier own.
my .02

rko
04-05-2004, 03:20 PM
I also was looking for a 3d package to use with video. Easy learning was one thing. I did try maya and max also. I found maya to complicated. I did not like how max works. LightWave was mutch easyer for me. Because Video/3d is not my main job (more like a hobby) the price was also important so it had to be LW. I did buy de LW with DFX+ bundle. DFX+ is a great program for special effets. After only using DFX+ i already new i ded spend my mony correct even i never would use LW (I use DFX+ a lot).
I'm now at the point i know where to find most of the tools in LW and how they work. This is one thing. Now i'm learning to use them al together to get the right results.
My current project is a company logo comming out of the water with water dripping of the logo. The more i use it the more i like it.

If you can still get the DFX+ bundle...

LudWig222
04-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Thanks for your replys, thats what I was looking for.

Steve

pnelson
04-07-2004, 08:59 PM
LightWave is designed with the Filmmaker/Videographer in mind..

You have a camera, lights, "actors" and a virtual sound stage.. If you can figure out how to shoot video, you have the basic understanding of the LightWave interface.. You can even adjust lens settings on your camera to match a realworld lens.

I'm a LightWave nut because it has always allowed me to EASILY create logos and motion graphics with a VERY reasonable learning curve..

I've always said that LightWave allows you to be more of a creator and less of a technician.

Good Luck,
Philip Nelson

LudWig222
04-08-2004, 07:03 PM
If you dont mind me asking, how long did it take you to learn where you felt comfortable with the interface and creation?