PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Models

The_Gravedigger
04-03-2004, 09:32 PM
I am brand new to this as you will be able to tell from my very stupid question.

In modeler I have been modeling a few generic objects, such as a pawn.

When I load the pawn into Lightwave however I can see through the bottom of the pawn. Its hard to explain but the base of the pawn looks all funny as if the camera can see through it. At first I thought this was just how Lightwave viewed it but it looked just as bad in the final render.

I have had this same problem with a pillar I made today

I believe I am doing something wrong in the modeler. First I draw the outline of my object on the Y axis, then I use the Lathe tool and then I import the object. Is there something I should be doing like making the object solid or something so I wont have this problem in Lightwave?

hrgiger
04-03-2004, 10:51 PM
At first I thought you might be clipping the object with the camera. If that were the case, all you'd have to do is decrease your grid size in Layout. (Hit o for options)

But I think probably what it could be is that you have your polys filpped and facing the wrong way. Hit f in modeler to flip your polys so they're facing outwards.

If that's not it either, post a render so we can see the problem.

mkiii
04-04-2004, 03:33 AM
Some explanation of why this happens:

If an inverted shape *is* the problem, read on - otherwise ignore.

Looking in the back viewport to draw your initial shape, you have to bear in mind that this is the BACK of the poly, so you need to draw the points in what seems like an anti-clockwise direction, which is the reverse of the norm.

You get used to this way of working after a while.

Note that Lathe is interactive, if you set the perspective view to shaded, select the Lathe tool, and press n to get the numeric panel up so you can specify the Y axis, and drag the little bar about that shows up in the centre of your shape in the top view, you will see the shape lathing in a clockwise direction as viewed from the top. Note that you don't need the numeric panel, you can centre the axis & set direction, amount of lathe etc manually by dragging, just make sure you have grid snap on otherwise it will be v tricky.

As you will see, the poly drawn in the back view so it faces you in the perspective view will be on the *inside* of the lathed shape, causing the whole thing to be inside out, and requiring you to flip the polys. You *can* drag the lathe in the 'wrong' direction to reverse the faces ie lathe in an anti-clockwise direction.

The same thing happens with Extrude, if the initial poly is facing the wrong way.

Phew!

hrgiger
04-04-2004, 09:53 AM
Also, get to know the Align tool. It will cause Lightwave to make all your polygons facing in one direction. This is helpful when you do differnet operations like Lathe, splinepatching, and manual poly making which can make your polys face in different directions. Align will turn them either to be all facing outwards or all facing inwards. If it turns them inwards, all you have to do is flip them (f) and they will all be facing the correct direction.