PDA

View Full Version : upgrading LW7 to LW7.5

Hanek
04-03-2004, 06:54 PM
I checked the archives for the answer but none of the previous threads had the same problem that I'm having.

I downloaded the LW 7.5 zip into my LW7 folder [which is labeled simply as "Lightwave"] .

When I double clicked the 7.5 zip, it asked me where I want to install the file. I chose the Lightwave folder which contains LW7 but a warning comes up saying that it couldn't find a version of LW7 within the file from which to upgrade.

Can anyone help me out here please?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Michael

david_B
04-04-2004, 05:27 AM
try moving the zip file into another folder. That's all I can think of...

mkiii
04-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Did you unzip the contents before you tried to run them? Sometimes running an app from within a zip file can cause problems.

Yes, do move it elsewhere, you may be confusing the poor thing.
If there is a readme file in there, or any instructions, make sure you read them properly. I don't recall it telling you to put the zip file in your LW folder anywhere

I don't recall what the install asks for, but are you SURE you are telling it to look in the correct place? IE If it asks for the location of the Lightwave apps, then it probably needs the location of the folder where LW.exe lives, such as c:\lightwave\programs, otherwise, it will need something like c:\lightwave or whatever. It's just like pretty much every installer app that you are likely to meet, so you shouldn't be having a problem, after all, there is only 1 out of 2 folders that it could possibly need to find.

Plus... If you value your current setup, I recommend that you make a backup. Also backup your config files.

Hanek
04-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks to both of you for your time.

Mikii, you were right.
In addition to moving the zip file outside of the LW folder, I had to install the file into [ Lightwave/Programs ] .

I'm now back in business.

Thanks again for your help.

Hanek
04-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Looks like I'm not back in business.

LW 7.5 opens but only in demo mode. I tried re-entering the licences key via the START menu but 7.5 doesnt offer a licence key registration tab... shouldn't it?

I must be missing something.
Why in the heck doesn't NewTek put up an installement guide along with 7.5 content information on their website.

Aren't I suppose to delete a few files from version 7 or copy and paste them into 7.5?

I would gladly appreciate any advice.