PDA

View Full Version : Three-button mice ROCK!

mlinde
04-03-2004, 11:41 AM
disclaimer: I have been a Mac user for over 15 years.
When I started using Lightwave back with version 5.5 the video that came in the box mentioned using the Right and Middle Mouse Buttons (MMB) for accessing additional menus while working in Lightwave. After a short while, I broke down and bought my first two button mouse because the whole CMD-Mouse drove me nuts after about 1/2 hour of working. When I went USB (on my G4 tower) I got a two-button/scroll wheel mouse as my new Lightwave mouse, but it didn't have the option to use the scroll wheel button as a MMB.

After recently upgrading to USB Overdrive for my mouse drivers, I have to reccomend this to everyone who uses Lightwave. The advanced functionality of the RMB is easy to discover with a single button mouse, but adding the MMB is like giving me a new Lightwave toolset.

Oh, and activating my Contour Shuttle to work with Layout was a great thing too!

blabberlicious
04-03-2004, 12:42 PM
I agree - thew my p.o.s microsoft mouse out of the window - bought a Logitic superdooper 8 button beast.

Usb overdrive rocks - I can marquee slect object in layout - toggle between point/poly mode and use the Middle Mouse pop ups with spraining my wrist!

Ade
04-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Wacom ppl how can we access the middle button features?

tingham
04-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Ade
Wacom ppl how can we access the middle button features?

I'd be interested in this also. I have been using my Wacom solely now for 2 weeks ( even for my day job programming! ) and I love it.

My microsoft mouse is two inches closer to the junk drawer.

I use the Griffin PowerMate as a scroll wheel when necessary. But it's not really useful as a clicker ( it has too much resistance in the actual "click" function )

I have the Intuous 2 tablet, which has buttons along the top edge of the pad, but these aren't usable as a middle button because ( even if you could assign it ) the cursor gets repositioned if you don't hit the button on the pad just right.

ACLOBO
04-04-2004, 01:01 AM
My Wacom tablet is too large and I only use it for texturing as it takes up too much space on my desk.... :-( lol

-Adrian

mlinde
04-04-2004, 09:03 AM
I don't have answers for the Wacom guys. There is no MMB setup in the Wacom (when using only the pen), and USB overdrive doesn't see it. If the mouse mode of the Wacom has MMB that would work, although I don't have the Wacom mouse to test with...

Ade
04-04-2004, 09:09 AM
Take a screen shot for us so we can see how the menu looks with 3rd button and middle button.

mlinde
04-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Here are the basic (first tier) mouse controls in Layout, left to right is LMB, MMB, RMB. To access them you hold down CTRL-SHIFT then click.

mlinde
04-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Here are the first tier Modeler mouse menus:

Darth Mole
04-04-2004, 11:50 AM
You can get the LMB and RMB menus just using modifier keys (Shift/Ctrl click or Shift/Ctrl/Apple click). I haven't yet discovered the MMB (shame it's not just Alt), though I can live without it.

I was using a Mac Mice 'The Mouse' but it interfered with the energy saving, so that my monitor wouldn't power down during a long render. I'd rather save my $2,000 LCD monitor and sacrifice a $20 mouse, so I'm back on one button...

denny
04-04-2004, 11:59 AM
You can do this with a Wacom tablet. The Wacom drive has all the modifiers and tools to program each button and macros.

Open the Wacom drive application. If you have Lightwave open, and select Add Application it will be a choice. Select LW and it's now in your Apps to choose from. You then highlight, and can now make the mouse or the pen have specific button clicks.

Modifier... is the one that lets you do the CTRL + SHIFT + Click to get the MMBM.

See attached. You can redo the pen too.

I hope that helps!

denny
04-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Here's the Pen menu:

mlinde
04-04-2004, 08:56 PM
yes, but the MMB menu is CTRL-SHIFT-MMB, so how do you get that?

tingham
04-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by mlinde
yes, but the MMB menu is CTRL-SHIFT-MMB, so how do you get that?

This whole conversation of course would be moot if Newtek just put "Open Menu ( MMM/etc. )" in the keyboard command list.

-t

meanlebh
04-04-2004, 09:11 PM
i also have a tablet, and can get the modifier key thing set..but you mentioned being able to set it to do this only in certain programs? for me I don't seem to have the choice of choosing which program I want to add to it....am I missing something here?

I.E. is there a way to get it to do the ctrl+shft+mmb in Lightwave, and have it to cmd+(back arrow key) in another program (such as safari)?

joao
04-05-2004, 07:43 AM
That is because you have the new graphire 3!
These only work with "new" drivers that do not allow you to configure individual apps. It is a way for wacom to diferentiate between its professional line and consumer line of tablets. If you have another tablet than you're using the wrong driver...
The new mice from microsoft also have these new "dumbed-down" drivers. I would stay clear from both....

j.

mlinde
04-05-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by tingham
This whole conversation of course would be moot if Newtek just put "Open Menu ( MMM/etc. )" in the keyboard command list.

-t But all of these features exist in the various tabs and commands in the menus. The point of this discussion is that by having an MMB and the actual "middle mouse button" control, like that available through USB overdrive, can improve your workflow, by giving you access quickly and easily to many options via the mouse menus. You could assign keyboard shortcuts to every command in the menus, but that's a different workflow.

tingham
04-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by mlinde
But all of these features exist in the various tabs and commands in the menus. The point of this discussion is that by having an MMB and the actual "middle mouse button" control, like that available through USB overdrive, can improve your workflow, by giving you access quickly and easily to many options via the mouse menus. You could assign keyboard shortcuts to every command in the menus, but that's a different workflow.

Actually the point I was attempting to make was, if the menus were invokable through a key command of some kind, I could set the Eraser edge to be the modifier key, or keystroke for the MMB Menu and then I would have a natural enough feeling workflow experience similar to what folks using 3 button mice have.

-t

matd
06-15-2005, 03:38 AM
OK - finally (!) managed to get the menus to work - sweet! Thanks for the tip to use USB Overdrive.

The only problem left now is this: I can't get the highlight in the menu to travel up and down the menu. In other apps with the same settings if the menu is open and I use the scroll wheel up and down, it will move up and down the items in the menu. With lightwave though, the menu just opens - the scroll wheel has no effect and I have to move the mouse's position up and down to highlight the menu items.

I'm using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4, on Tiger 4.1 with Lightwave 8.3.
Cheers!

parm
06-15-2005, 07:02 AM
The control panel for the Intuos 3 allows both, modifier keys on the tablet and the buttons on the pen to be configured almost any way you like:

gerry_g
06-16-2005, 05:14 PM
When I left video production to explore the hottest thing going (as it was back then) 3D Graphics, most TV Post was done on Quantel Paint Boxes, Harries and Houdini's, and every one but every one used a tablet, so I got one.........that was getting on for ten years ago!! I can't bloody believe people are still using mice, and worse still a lot of 3D aps almost insist you use one as though carpel muscle syndrome was the coolest thing to be afflicted with, at least Lightwave is more tolerant than most 3D aps in this respect and I have no problem with any of L/M/RMB stuff using pen and keyboard modifier keys. A mouse forces you to twist your hand unnaturally through ninety degrees and overwork your finger tendons, still it's your funeral but just answer me this, how many famous artist from history can you name that had to give up work because of RSI........and how's your wrist gonna feel twenty years from now??

gerry_g
06-16-2005, 05:15 PM
how the **** do you deleat a post if you accidentaly post it twice while editing it.....DOH!!