PDA

View Full Version : LW logo in Immortel movie credits

Tonton1
04-03-2004, 10:49 AM
I've just seen Immortel Ad Vitam by Enki Bilal. As you maybe know there is a lot of CG in that film. And there is the LW logo in the end credits, along with other logos, including Maya.

I don't know what LW was used for in that film, but I suppose it's for the buildings and vehicles, which are good. Some shots are really impressive. The CG characters are, well, CG. Far from Final Fantasy or even some recent games. There are only 4 human characters (+human extras), all the rest, about 20, are CG. This makes a strange mix when flesh meets bits, but it works.
To end the purely technical side of the film, I should add that the rendering seems a bit low-res, with some flickering at times.

On the narrative part of things, to say it simply, it's a bad film. Those of you who have read the comics will find some old-known friends and impressive landscapes, but that's about it. Things that should be important are left unused (the Eugenics corporation : what do they do ?, the spirit of Nikopol : who are they ?), there are some useless characters that don't add anything to the story (the city mayor and his various intrigues) and there are some useless sideplots (the police officer). I think it's because the main plot (that I won't explain if you want to see the film) isn't important enough to carry the entire film.
This brings me to another problem of this film : characters (both CG AND human). No presence, no feelings, paralyzed face : they are, well, empty, and adding some poetry by Baudelaire and ancient Egyptian talk doesn't help the audience to feel for them. I won't go into details because I would have to explain the whole plot, but the fact is : if you have seen the trailer, you have understood the entire film. There is nothing more. All atmosphere, no plot. The very real problem is : there's no stake. It's very hard to even care for what's happening.

I like the work of Enki Bilal very much on paper, but I must say that he's a much better comic artist than filmmaker. And his 2 previous films suffered from the same problems.

But, on a positive note, if you like films by Mamoru Oshii (Patlabor 1+2, Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh, Avalon), which suffer from the same "all atmosphere, no plot, paralyzed-face characters" syndrom, you'll like Immortel, maybe. I think I'm making new friends here. Don't kill me ! Don't kill me ! ;)

Well, what do you think ?

sailor
04-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Salut Tonton,

rendering was exclusively done with LW 7.5 but modeling, character setup and animation was done in Maya except for some sets and props modeling with LW as well (i was one of em ;)

cheers

Kvaalen
04-03-2004, 02:17 PM
To be honost I was really disappointed with the character work. Not only was it really badly done, but also I don't think the use of 3D was justified in most cases.

But the city/veichles/(gods sometimes)... were for the most part (not all) pretty good. :)

That's my take.

Nemoid
04-04-2004, 03:55 AM
:( it's quite a sin because such a movie could be a good thing for 3D development in Europe. hope that the movie will come in Italy too or in DVD maybe